Scope or Open sights?

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.

Scope or Open sights on a lever gun

Scope
31%
No Scope
69%

Total votes: 29

jdl447

Re: Scope or Open sights?

Post by jdl447 »

akuser47 wrote:I prefer no scope on a lever gun but cannot see well anymore so I need one for beyond 50 yards.

same with me.
If1Hitu

Post by If1Hitu »

I had to add scopes to my lever rifles,i'm blind as a bat without my glasses.
Strawdawg

Post by Strawdawg »

Open
Steve

East of Eden on Tasajillo Hill
Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

At 71, I still like open sights whenever I can use them. My cowboy style leverguns have irons while my hunting leverguns; Winchester 88 and Savage 99 wear scopes.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

All my lever guns have tang sights:
- new style Marbles tang sights on a pair of 9422s (a 16" trapper and 20" XTR);
- new style Marbles tang sight on my 20" Rossi 92 Carbine in .45 Colt
- new style Marbles tang sights on my 20" and 24" Rossi 92 rifles in .357 Magnum;
- vintage Marbles W-1 tang sights on two of my two pre-64 Model 94s in .30-30;
- a Lyman No 2 tang sight on my LF Model 94 in .38-55;
- a Lyman No 2 tang sight on my Model 94 Trapper in .45 Colt;
- a Soule style tang sight on my Italian .45-70 Sharps;
- a reproduction tang sight on my reproduction 1859 Sharps Berdan; and
- a new style Marbles tang sight on my Uberti 1885 High Wall in .30-30.

The only lever gun I had that did not have a tang sight was one of my pre-64 Model 94s, and that one went to my father in law.

TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

Ranch Dog wrote:Scope guy. My R92s are used strictly for hunting. The hunting of any critter here in South Texas, at least 90% of the activity, is in that 30 minutes before sunrise or 30 minutes after sunset. Even in the good daylight, the Rossi sights are poor against a gray animal with a backdrop of the gray brush. I 99.9% of my feral hog killing is at night under ambient moonlight, or with lights, open sights are useless in these conditions.

I know that Rossi has to put something on the rifle, but their setup is as cheap as it gets. The Daisy BB gun I keep on my bench, a current manufacture rifle, has better sights than the Rossi. I mean that. I used the Skinner peep on my 357 Mag, and it was very nice, but it removed it from the hunting rotation because it was unusable at night. Personally, if I was going to use my R92s as daylight hunters, I would take the time for the XS Sights installation. I use them on a number of scout rifles and the sights are good up to dark. XS might have discontinued them, I'm not sure, and they do require drilling and tapping a threaded hole on each side of the receiver near the aft edge. Not something for the owner to do unless you have the equipment and knowledge not to goof it up.

This will turn the stomach of you open sight only guys, all of my scope bases except the 357 Mag are JB Welded to the barrel. All of my rifles except the 480 Ruger are the Rossi mounts that I problems with the cheap screws failing after they wallowed the holes in the mount out (because of the poor grade of aluminum Rossi used). The 480 Ruger is a custom base, and the gunsmith would not do the work if he could not glass or JB Weld the base to the barrel. This guy does and is noted for his scout mounts, so he knows what he is doing. He is currently making a scout mount for a 45-70 Govt bolt action I own. My 357 Mag uses the NOE Base with a very good grade of aluminum and screws; I haven't had a problem with it coming loose.

.......this........
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."