Any Mossberg 464's out there?

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Deleted User 327

Re: Any Mossberg 464's out there?

Post by Deleted User 327 »

I got one about 6 years ago and really like it. Thirty + years ago I had a Win '94 and a Marlin 336 but had to sell them on to feed the little ones at the time. Neither really was a favorite. Even though the '94 is a legend, it's floppy action and terrible trigger, coupled with an excessive recoil for the caliber made it fun to look at but not to hold or shoot. The Marlin I got from a friend who died and it always felt like holding a block instead of a stock. The Mossberg is surprisingly great feeling at the shoulder with a tight action and great trigger. The stock Marbles sights are great. After 500rds, it's still a great shooter and a great plinker.

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

COSteve wrote:The Mossberg is surprisingly great feeling at the shoulder with a tight action and great trigger.
From your description, the 464 sounds like I would appreciate the rifle. I almost pulled the trigger on a GunBroker rifle that had the XS Scout/Ghost Ring setup and have since wished I had. Your description of the 464 against the other levers sounds like the Rossi Rio Grande; light, slim, tight, and accurate. I suspect you would like that rifle as well. My problem, and what held up the 464 purchase, is that I already have more lever 30-30s than I can shoot.
Michael
Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

Living out here in the West, the 30-30 cartridge really isn't a suitable hunting caliber. That's why for decades I didn't have a 'thudy-thudy' in my stable. I just got it back in 2012 . . . . because I could. In addition, it dawned on me one day that I could handload for it really cheap. ;)

I mean REALLY CHEAP! (About 10¢ per rd cheap!! :o )

How? Well, I'd picked up 300 new looking Winchester once fired 30-30 pieces of brass from our range (saw it shot) over a couple of years so the brass was free. I had also recently traded some other range pickup brass for 2K of Winchester LR primers. Lastly, my son bought an 8lb keg of Win 760 powder for our 1950 Win 70 in 30-06 but realized he'd rather shoot his Special Service Grade M1 Garand.

The Garand can't use Win 760 powder so we had 8lbs with nothing to load it in. :( Turns out, you can use it for 30-30 reduced velocity (2,000fps) loads that are great for plinking. So, all I needed was bullets and X-Treme had a sale on their flat point 150grn plated bullets at 10.1¢ per rd delivered so I bought 1,500 of them. ;)

So . . . . free brass, free primers, free powder, 10¢ bullets and my Dillon 650 w/casefeeder. I bought a case gage and some Lee 30-30 dies at the Funshow for $25 and life is good!! :D
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Steve

I'd be interested in knowing how the X-Treme bullets work out. Particularly interested in knowing how well case/neck tension is handled for the tube magazine.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I was gifted brass, bought a low price six hole mold designed by RD for my waffle top at a good price to cast bullets from free lead so I'm not far behind.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.