NIB Pedersoli Deluxe grade 1871 in .45-70 GVT.

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: NIB Pedersoli Deluxe grade 1871 in .45-70 GVT.

Post by Barry in IN »

The 1886s in .33 Winchester had nickel steel barrels, and I think Winchester used it more and more as years went on. I wouldn't go by serial numbers, since Winchester was known use up parts and pieces for years after they were made (which drives the collectors nuts because of the variations that "shouldn't" exist, but do). Look for the markings on the barrel itself.
Just getting it out there on the odd chance someone buys a later 1886 with the intention of loading it heavy, only to learn the barrel was made 20 years before the rest of the rifle. Not that anyone shelling out the money for an original 1886 wouldn't research these things, but...well, yeah they would.

The Browning-Miroku repros of Winchesters don't have added safeties as far as I know. They give one the advantges of modern steel in a (mostly) correct copy. I think they are easier to find than Italian copies (aside from 1892s). I think they shoot great too.
I usually prefer Marlin simplicity (I think most Winchesters have more screws than Marlins have parts total) but like the appearance of most Winchesters better. Obviously i would prefer a red, white, and blue American Winchester, but I have to say though, that the Miroku guns I've seen, whether Browning or Winchester, shoot like crazy. I wanted a 71 to shoot, so I got a Browning-Miroku. I wanted an 1895 for the history (I was reading a lot of Spanish-American War/Rough Rider books) so bought an original Winchester 95. It all depends on what one wants or needs, but we have a wider variety of lever actions now than we ever did. I may never get any of them, but I'm sure glad someone is making copies of something besides 92s and 73s.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The earlier (80s) Browning Miroku leverguns and the "new" Winchester guns are a different animal.
The old Brownings like the B92 like the older Rossi 92s were accurate copies of the original Winchester 92s.
Miroku makes guns according to customer specs.
You won't find tang safeties and rebounding hammers on legacy 92s or the earlier Browning/Miroku repros but you will find them on the new Miroku Winchesters.
I've always wanted a close to blue print as possible model 71 clone.
I would rather of had one in the original .348 Win caliber but the .45-70 GVT Pedersoli will do.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Another noteworthy fact is that the rifling twist is 1:18 which is kinda fast.
I've heard of twists as slow as 1:38 in other brands of .45-70 levergun.
The Pedersoli rifle should be able to stabilize fairly heavy bullets.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Bought 8 boxes of factory HSM Bear Load Handgun Ammunition that shoots a 430 grain hardcast bullets at approx. 1750 fps and approx 3000 ft-lbs of energy for $29 a box at Cabelas.
This stuff will give my Pedersoli model 71 the KO power to take out a T-Rex. :D
Buffalo Bore performance for 1/2 the money.
I like a gun with a little life to it and with this load the 7.5 Pedersoli will be pretty saucy..........the harder they kick the better......I can handle it. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I've ordered one of the medium range Pedersoli Creedmore tang mounted sights from Brownells and will sight the longer range 300 grain Hornady FTX ammo in with the tang sight.
I will sight the barrel mounted semi-buckhorn sight in with the heavier 430 grain factory cast loads.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

pricedo wrote:I've ordered one of the medium range Pedersoli Creedmore tang mounted sights from Brownells and will sight the longer range 300 grain Hornady FTX ammo in with the tang sight.
I will sight the barrel mounted semi-buckhorn sight in with the heavier 430 grain factory cast loads.
Or maybe I'll sight the 325 grain FTXs in at 100 yards with the semi-buckhorn factory sight and see how close to the bullseye the 430 grain Bear Load bullets print at 50 yards or if that doesn't work 25 yards.
If the rifle places the 325 grain FTXs in the bullseye at 100 yards and the 430's group within 2 inches at 50 yards I'll leave it at that.
I won't be shooting the 430 grain bear load at more than 50 yards anyway and more likely closer to 25 yards in an actual encounter with a real live Yogi.
Having 1 sight do the job of 2 is right in line with my favorite principle which is the KISS (keep it simple stupid) principle.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA