New Marlin 1894C 357 pre purchase review.

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.

Re: New Marlin 1894C 357 pre purchase review.

Postby golfish » 14 Oct 2018 16

Mad Trapper wrote:That loading gate looks real good.
I may buy a couple.
Would look good on my guide gun.
thank you for posting the link golfish.
I put the saddle ring safety delete on the guide gun, i like it.

Thanks Mad Tarpper. I want all my lever guns to be setup the same, so I delete all of the safeties. I don't like the color of the loading gate, I emailed Ranger Point to see f I could exchange it for the black one.
It functions great, the color just bugs me. I do wonder about the aluminum work hardening and than breaking, if it last a couple thousand rounds, it will be worth it.
golfish
Supporter
Supporter

My Rossi Choice: M92

Postby Mad Trapper » 14 Oct 2018 17

Same here, I hate that little marlin safety.
Ive done a 95 guide gun, 336 and a rossi 92 44 mag trapper.
I am very pleased with how they turned out.
Mad Trapper
Supporter
Supporter

Postby gqucool » 09 Nov 2018 13

If1Hitu wrote:Like I said before i'm new to lever rifles,what's the problem with Remington built lever rifles?

Last week I took a trip to the new Smiths & Edwards up in South Jordan Utah they had 2 of the Marlin 1894 all weather model with Skinner sights looked very nice but I didn't care for the price above $800.00 gulp. Then the 1894 C like what is mentioned nice wood decent bluing but the oh no bogus boo boo on this one is it had only part of the rear sight assembly on the rifle the rear windage blade was missing............now is this the lack of the LCS counter guys not noticing this total crap???? I have read in the past that the last two years of the Marlin 1894's in .44 Magnum have been very nice. Is it that hard to also mfg the same rifle but in .357/.38 Special???? My two current lever action .357's one a pre cross bolt safety Marlin 1894 C and my latest a Rossi R92 about a 3 year old rifle both puts the new Marlin 1894 C to shame!!! I'll stick with what I currently have, I do wish that Rossi would start up some R92's and do a chambering in .327 Federal Magnum that would be nice!!! +guns +guns
gqucool

Postby golfish » 11 Nov 2018 19

I'd say it's the counter guys fault for putting the gun on the rack, I assume it was on the rack.

Yes, Marlin did have problems producing the .38sp/.357 model 1894. They had a hell of a time getting the machines and people up and running, I could be wrong but I thought they tried making both calibers and failed big time. They then started backup with the 44 mag and had limited success. A lot of really bad guns got out. A couple years ago they started to get it right with the 44 and again started producing the .357. so far, it seems like they are getting there.
The right people seem to have gotten the message that there is still a good market for these guns.
Maybe another member can correct me and include better info with a date line.
golfish
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to All Non-Rossi Leverguns