Rossi 2" .357 DA current models feedback?

Rossi's classic designs for home and self defense, hunting, or range work.
alphalimafoxtrot

Rossi 2" .357 DA current models feedback?

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Team Rossi,

apparently I am a glutton for punishment, since I have a bit of a finicky 92 .357 carbine and here I am asking questions about Rossi DA revolvers!!

Anyway - I like the lines of the current production .357 wheelguns in 2" flavor, they list them as the 46102 in blue and the 46202 in stainless.

Feedback anyone? And I am all ears for an alternative Rossi/Taurus .357 snubbie that may be an older generation that I am unaware of.

My wish is for an optional daily carry gun to match calibers with my 92 lever and my Ruger Security-Six 4" .357.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
GasGuzzler

Re: Rossi 2" .357 DA current models feedback?

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have an old M88 stainless but it's .38 only. Very well made pre-Taurus from the early '80's. They're hard to find in good shape though.
Last edited by GasGuzzler on 11 Nov 2016 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I had the Taurus 605. It was a nice revolver but I prefer semi-autos for self defense carry. I sold it early this year along with M44C (44 Mag), 415 (41 Mag), and a 450 (45 Colt). I still have my Rossi 351 chambered in 38 Spl +P, I like carrying it.
Michael
alphalimafoxtrot

Thanks for the link and feedback, RD. I am not at all "learned" in the snubbie revolvers that work!

Take care

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Ruger SP101
Ruger LCR

If you are looking for a service sized revolver
Ruger GP100
Smith & Wesson 686
Smith & Wesson 686+
Smith & Wesson 19
Ruger Security Six

I think my father has a Taurus 85, maybe lightweight. Not certain.
I've fired it and it was ok.
He found it and turned it into the LEOs who called him and told him to come pick it up since he'd said if no one claimed it he wanted it back.

I tend to lean toward semis for SD as well.
alphalimafoxtrot

Thanks, Archer -
Those are indeed a "classic" roster of good to go wheelguns!

I was actually looking for a list of Rossi (or pre-Taurus) wheelguns, past and present, that were offered in 2" or 2-3/4" barrel lengths. Could be either .38 Special or .357 Magnum.

Sorry I wasn't more specific in my post!

Thanks for checking in.

Adam
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

M68 blue J-frame copy
M88 stainless J-frame copy

Five shot .38 only
No +P

These have one piece firing pin (no transfer bar) that can be fragile if you believe the Internet. I've had no problems. I have a basic trigger job write up here somewhere.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

No need to be sorry.
I noted the Rossi comment but focused a bit on the 'alternative' a bit much.
I'm not as up on Rossi history as I am on Smith and Ruger as to models.
I've been able to pick up or steer buds to Smiths and Rugers that were going for good prices from time to time. I've seen a few more wear and tear problems with Rossi wheelguns through the shop than other brands with the exception of overaged and abused Colt revolvers.
alphalimafoxtrot

Archer,

No problem! I am glad to get any feedback on snubbie revolvers, and there is really no wrong answer to my question.

If I'm willing to keep my sights on a .38 Special snubbie, there are clearly a few Rossi's that could fit that bill. However, unlike my 4" barreled old Ruger Security Six which I really like, the .357 Rossi's haven't had nearly as many reviews of glowing feedback. Quality control issues - a familiar mantra for Rossi, unfortunately - are probably going to steer me away from a short .357 Rossi.

If I could get my hands on a short-barreled .357 Ruger Speed Six or Service Six, I'd be a happy camper!

Adam
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Alpha, steering you down the Ruger path, may I suggest the SP101 .357. I bought this model:
http://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5774.html
I love it! The 5th cylinder full I shot at 7 yards, I shot two 10's, two 9's and a 6. It's not a "pocket" gun. It's a bit on the heavy side, but it's a quality piece of iron. If I leave the farm it's in a pancake holster on my hip. Even piddling around the farm, if I'm not packing a BH, it's on my side. I feel naked without it.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.