My next project

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
skchen83

My next project

Post by skchen83 »

I now have several Rossi single shots and am happy with they way they shot. So much so, that I'm trying to figure out how to adapt one to shoot 9mm Luger. I've been researching it for a while now and have come up with a couple of different ways to do this.
The first is to use a 20ga shot barrel to create a "stubb" to attach a 9mm barrel. There appears to be a gunsmith outside Tulsa, OK who does this. It appears to be a pretty pricey process. [/list]
The second is to find somebody to attach a 9mm barrel (I have one) to a attach the barrel to the bottom section of a donor barrel. I recently picked up a bent .223 barrel that should work given how close in size the casehead of a 9mm is to the .223. [/list]

I'm open to suggestions and would love to hear what you guys think. Also, does anyone here own or have owned the P4102211 pistol that was built on the Rossi Single Shot frame?
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: My next project

Post by HarryAlonzo »

A barrel insert for the 20 GA.
skchen83

Post by skchen83 »

I've actually gone that route already. I have a 12ga single shot that's a close cousin of the Walmart gun and have an insert for it. It shoots OK, but it's kind of a clunky solution. I'd really rather have a true single shot that extras the casings.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

How bent is the 223 barrel? And it’s for a Rossi, yes? Get it straightened, then drilled & lined for 9mm. The extractor will take some doing.
skchen83

Post by skchen83 »

HarryAlonzo wrote:How bent is the 223 barrel? And it’s for a Rossi, yes? Get it straightened, then drilled & lined for 9mm. The extractor will take some doing.
I've not heard of straightening a bent barrel! Any thoughts on where to go to get that done? My understanding is that the extractor is just a minor adjustment since the case-head and rim of the .223 and 9 x 19 is pretty close in size.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Any gunsmith could straighten a gun barrel with a press or vise. It would be a fiddly process with no guarantees of success. If you’re going to sleeve the barrel, then maybe the straightness requirement is less strict.

That’s great if the ejector can be used with minimal modification.
skchen83

Post by skchen83 »

HarryAlonzo wrote:Any gunsmith could straighten a gun barrel with a press or vise. It would be a fiddly process with no guarantees of success. If you’re going to sleeve the barrel, then maybe the straightness requirement is less strict.

When I was researching other options, I came across people who had rebarrelled the Rock Island Armory M22 bolt action from the 22 TCM to 9mm. One of the things that needed to be done was to do a little modification on the extractor because the 22 TCM is based on the 223 case.

When I get a break (I'm a teacher and swim coach), in our season, I'll see if I can chase down a local gunsmith who's willing to take this project up.

Thanks for your input on this!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Just one bit of advice find a gunsmith that does more than build ARs.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
skchen83

Post by skchen83 »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Just one bit of advice find a gunsmith that does more than build ARs.

Make smoke,
Absolutely! I build ARs and wouldn't call myself a "gunsmith" in any sense of the word!
skchen83

Post by skchen83 »

HarryAlonzo wrote:Any gunsmith could straighten a gun barrel with a press or vise. It would be a fiddly process with no guarantees of success. If you’re going to sleeve the barrel, then maybe the straightness requirement is less strict.

I took your advice, and started looking into straightening the barrel. After a bit of reading, I came across a video done by a gunsmith up in the Montana/Wyoming area who had a unique way of straightening. He put it on a mill to find the bend, then he smacked the barrel on a good-sized log! So, I figured; "what the heck", so I gave it a try today out at my father-in-law's who has some suitable logs. What'd-ya-know, it worked! It took one time!

Apparently, the theory is that something like a gun barrel made straight has a memory and will go back to it's original shape when it gets a "shock". Anyway, whatever the black magic or old west wisdom, I've got a straight barrel.

The next order of business is to find a gunsmith to put in a liner. Maybe, I can even find one around north Texas close to me. +guns