Which model to buy

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
ksmoose

Which model to buy

Post by ksmoose »

I have a Rossi single shot in .22-250 and have been looking for a .44 mag barrel for it. I wanted something to throw on the 4 wheeler when riding around the farm and maybe leave in the shop for the 4 legged critters that show themselves . Kind of a beater rifle is what I am looking for. Anyway my local LGS just got in a used Rossi .44 mag single shot that looks virtually unfired. He also will sell me his Savage 219 .30-30/16 ga. $275 for the Rossi and $200 for the Savage . I think he is high on the Rossi but we haven't discussed the price yet. The Rossi is shorter and more compact than the Savage, which is what I am looking for. I have shot the Savage in the past and even took a whitetail doe with it, the LGS and I are good friends. I am open for suggestions as to which to buy. I like the compactness of the Rossi but am leaning towards the Savage. It is cheaper and kind of a 2 for 1 buy. I also know it is very accurate from my past experience.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Which model to buy

Post by akuser47 »

I hate to say it, but If it were my choice I would get the savage.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I'd probably spring for the Savage too ... but especially if it was 30-30 over 20 ga. ... that would be a done deal for me

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

What about the 44 / 17 plus Lyman for sale on this site?
ksmoose

Post by ksmoose »

Harry I feel like a dummy , I didn't even check here. I went ahead and bought the Savage.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Well give us your review of the savage once you test her out we love happy endings.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
ksmoose

Post by ksmoose »

I have used it in the past and taken a whitetail doe with it. I also put down a 6 point buck that had blue tongue at request of the local game warden. I have broke clay pigeons with it at 100 yds with the open sights, but that was a few years back when the eyes were much better. This was all done with 150 gr federal. For some reason I can still see the sights fairly well on it, but will know for sure this weekend. If need be I will install a rear peep on it as I have on my R92 .357, Winny 94 .30-30, and Henry .22.
ksmoose

Post by ksmoose »

Just went to the pasture and set a 6" pumpkin at 100 yds. Tried to hold the front sight in center of pumpkin as well as I could tell and shot twice. Both hit just over the top. The 3rd shot I held at 6 o'clock and pumpkin exploded. Good enough for my old eyes.
vvllbs

Post by vvllbs »

The prices were good on the Savage and the 44 Rossi. Those Savage 219’s are collecting a premium
ksmoose

Post by ksmoose »

Well the Rossi .44 mag kept calling my name. I called my friendly gu dealer and said bottom dollar, he said $225 . Now I have a Rossi .44 mag 1 holer. Hopefully I will make it to my range in the pasture this weekend if snow misses us.