Converting a 22LR Youth to 22 Mag. ?

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Converting a 22LR Youth to 22 Mag. ?

Post by klr »

HarryAlonzo wrote:Glad to hear it!

If the 22LR is sufficient for rats, squirrels & bunnies, what size critter needs this next size up? Groundhogs, I suppose, but they can be long shots. I'd be inclined to jump to 223. Is there a tweener beast?

I'd consider groundhogs at 100-150 yds to be humane kills with a 22 Mag, but I really don't have any experience other than the brief target shooting I did. I'm a 223 guy myself, but that's a whole different game with reloading, increased costs, noise, and a bigger heavier rifle. The point of this was to take a featherweight $100 pawn shop plinker and bump up the power quickly and easily.

I have killed varmints with a 17 HMR and it has significantly more range and impact than a 22lr. From what I read, the 22 Mag is a similar bump up over the 22lr.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Granted, 223 is a substantial step up on all fronts. My one & only 223 is also a single shot, an H&R/New England Arms break barrel that started life as a Youth model. I swapped out the youth stock for a full size, but it's still a pretty petite rig.

Still, I think I've found the perfect pest for 22 Mag. Nutria. Okay, something to add to my wish list, thanks!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Armadillo, possum, wild cats under 40 pounds .... anything with size or that is tough to get close enough for .22LR. .223 is out of the question for most anything I'd use a .22WMR on .... the noise alone is 4X that of a .22WMR.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.