I got the itch

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Steve-R
Supporter
Supporter

I got the itch

Post by Steve-R »

I got the itch to get the single shot 223 out for some plinking. My grandson really gets a bang out of the break open action, and I think its fun once in while too.

I have to save the ammo fired in it to reload just for it. It works perfect on fire formed brass. The chamber on it is just long enough that half of the newly loaded ammo (that fires in any other 223) won't strike the primer good enough to fire.

When I shoot FL sized brass in it I pull the bullet about a 1/16 inch, this lets the rifling hold the cartridge back so the primer is in place to fire. Works every time. I just started treating the rifle like it is a 223 Ackley and mark all the brass fired in it so it will just be neck sized for the Rossi.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I got the itch

Post by Ranch Dog »

My recommendation would to satisfy that itch with any of the entry level bolt guns offered by all the manufacturers. MSRP is within about $35 of a Single Shot.

Personally, I would stay away from a bottle necked cartridges in the Single Shot and remember that these rifles are no longer in production so the warranty, if the rifle is new, means little. There has never been any parts support for the top break Rossi's.
Michael
Steve-R
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Steve-R »

Ranch Dog wrote:There has never been any parts support for the top break Rossi's.
Yep, I learned about their warranty in 2010. The third time I just kept it and loaded the way I listed. It's still fun to shoot.
Steve-R
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Steve-R »

I forgot to mention that my grandson really could shoot that little single shot on prairie dogs, he was like the prairie dog Terminator.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sorry, I read your post wrong. I thought you were looking to buy one.
Michael
Steve-R
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Steve-R »

No problem. Say, isn't it about time for another Ranch Dog hunting hogs story. I like reading them.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steve-R wrote:No problem. Say, isn't it about time for another Ranch Dog hunting hogs story. I like reading them.
Pushing 100º daily does not lend itself to the activity! I woke up at 3:50 on Monday as I had to take my Mom to the Victoria hospital for some testing that morning and there was a large boar under my feeder lights out from the house. I was in a desperate need for a cup of coffee so I thought if he was there after I had a sip, I would give him a go. He took off within minutes.

Honestly, not seeing them on the game cameras out at the feeders in the pasture so I don't bother looking for them. Once they appear, I'm on them.

I spent yesterday afternoon, despite the heat, tuning up my Savage 170 chambered in 35 Rem with my TLC359-190-RF for when they do show up!
Michael