RD's R44MBS

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

RD's R44MBS

Post by Ranch Dog »

Finally catching up in the reloading room and as part of a rain day I prepped my R44MBS for a trial run once the sun is out. A scope on a 44 Mag is kind of silly to some but I have used the 44 Mag rifle many times for deer and hogs out to 200 yards. So, like my R92 and Marlin 1894P, the Rossi would wear a scope to keep up with those rifles.

Rossi's synthetic cheek piece is a bit high for my taste on the Single Shot stock. It requires the use of the of Weaver extra high rings which is "crazy high!" Instead of using the Rossi piece, I replaced it with a God' A Grip LSRCP. I used this pad on my Single Shot Slug Gun, it has a wood stock, and it made a complete difference in obtaining a quick sight picture and reducing the shock of sending a slug down range.

Here is a view of high vs. the extra high rings…

The chunky Rossi hammer extension is preventing the use of medium rings, an aftermarket extension might allow their use. With the Quad-Locks, the scope sight axis is 1.7" above that of the bore. Weaver medium rings would bring the sight plane to slightly less than the standard 1.5" above the bore.

Sun just popped out, should get to shoot it this afternoon! Will be using my 300-grain 44 bullet for starters.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: RD's R44MBS

Post by klr »

+corn
TGC

Post by TGC »

Waa. I don't think a scope on the gun is silly at all. Since I can't see anymore, I have to have it. Plus you can aim through the limbs and leaves in the early deer season woods.

My gun is just like yours and I have used it through one deer season. You will love it.

From reloading for it I discovered it would take all you can give it with h110. From the hodgdon website, rifle load data, you can get 1800 fps with a 240 grain. I tried it and the gun didn't shoot good groups at that velocity but it will handle the pressure. I ended up where I started at around 1450 fps to get great accuracy. I have to add that I use the large pistol magnum primers because with the standard primers you find a lot of unused powder in the barrel. With the magnums, clean as a whistle.

Like you also I found I had to use high rings to clear the hammer, but it works out good with the cheek rest on the stock for me.

Let us know how the 300 grainers work out. I've been using the 240 XTPs and nosler JHP.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Those four rounds of ammo had been loaded for my 44 Mag Wiizard and when I looked up the data they were my 275-grain bullet loaded ahead of 25.3-grains of H4227. It shot well, very well for that matter, with all four bullets holes touching each other at 50-yards.

My choice of powder would be Lil' Gun followed by H110, both which I have, but I purchased 4 lbs of H4227 better than a decade ago and it is time to use it up. Next up will be to load some more for the chronograph and a full sight in.

The trigger pull is extremely heavy, like pulling up a boat anchor with your index finger. I will wait to pass judgement on it under hunting conditions though.
Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Sounds like they put a heavier hammer spring in your new mbs. I bet you don't get any light primer strikes. I wonder if they use a different part number for it?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I finally got around to shooting this 44 Mag Single Shot yesterday. The last three months have been some of the busiest I've had in years and I just never could find the time. All I did was compare two max loads at 25 yards; one of H110 and the other H4227. Lil'Gun has become my powder of choice with any revolver cartridge but I have about 4 lbs of both H110 and H4227 that I want to use up before I tap into anymore of my Lil'Gun.

At max pressures, H110 will be about 50 FPS slower than Lil'Gun and H4227 a whopping 225 FPS slower. The lowest predicted velocity of 1525 FPS for H4227 should give me the 70-yard backdoor hog killer that I'm looking for with my 275-grain bullet. Like any of my shooting, I start at 25-yards.

H110 was tight but H4227 was tighter so it will move into the first choice position. I will load up and get my chrono work done today while shooting at 50 yards and then go ahead and move out to 100 and 200 yards just to make sure the bullet, load, and rifle are predictable.

I thought the trigger a bit heavy at the loading bench but it really wasn't at the shooting bench and should be just about right for killing hogs. I'm not using the Rossi cheek piece but rather an aftermarket pad from GodA'Grip. This pad allows the use of a lower set of rings and for me, makes the stock look a bit better.
Michael
vvllbs

Post by vvllbs »

I've got a handi in 44 that I haven't messed with yet, I have a 45 long colt that's accurate as heck
vvllbs

Post by vvllbs »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435161077.425874.jpg
It's not a Rossi, it's a 45LC/410 shoots a tight group with a 25 dollar Bushnell scope.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice. Rossi offered the 45 Colt/.410 in their Single Shot but never came across one. My worry was with the amount of additional freebore cut into the Colt chamber to accommodate the .410. In your case, it doesn't seem to affect it!

The ammo looks like Winchester?
Michael
vvllbs

Post by vvllbs »

Yes it's about a dollar a shell, I'll only use 410 for snake, it don't group with slugs