RD's R44MBS

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RD's R44MBS

Post by Ranch Dog »

I went out to shoot across my chronograph and it gave me all kinds of grief (the chronograph). I ended up throwing it in the burn hole and ordering the complete Caldwell unit from MidwayUSA while I sat at the bench. I did get the rifle sighted in at 100-yards but what to do some more load work to try to get the velocity up a bit. Will also put a strain gauge on the barrel as I want to compress the H4227 in that attempt to increase the velocity and will need to watch the pressure response.
Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Since you don't have to worry about seat problems, you could seat the bullet out till it touched the lands then back off 0.002" or so
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Zippidydoodah wrote:Since you don't have to worry about seat problems, you could seat the bullet out till it touched the lands then back off 0.002" or so
I've done that. I'm using a 1.640" overall length. Been so busy with the land work and remodeling a trailer I have on the place that I just haven't had time to shoot.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I did get a holiday range session in this morning. I documented the pressure trace work here: R44MBS Single Shot Range Day
Michael
TGC

Post by TGC »

RD, I tried the max load of h110 in my .44. All I've used are 240 grain xtps. The max load will give you 1850 fps. The gun would shoot the load with no pressure signs. But the gun didn't group well at all. I went back to my original load of 1400 fps,,, thats what my gun shoots well. So thats where it will stay I guess. I'm happy with it. Shot a couple of deer with it last year.
The group circled in red is a four shot group at 100 yards from a bench rest.
rosstarget.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Have you tried seating the XTPs a bit further out. The R44MBS is a bit long in the throat just like my Wizard was hence the 1.64" OAL where the same bullet in my R92 ends up with a 1.60" OAL. The short 240-grain XTP might be a bit nonconcentric to the bore with it's stubby nose after the jump to the rifling, especially will a bit more pressure behind it. Just an idea.

I'm using H4227 as I've had 4 lbs sitting around for about 15 years now. Its time to put it to use.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Michael