Please share thoughts on SS 223

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Please share thoughts on SS 223

Post by Ranch Dog »

I haven't seen one but I bought a Hunter chambered in 35 Rem. It made both the Rossi Single Shot and the H&R seem like... fence posts.
Michael
Ohio357MagFan

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

Wow, sounds they they surely won't have any issues with misfirings too! Do you think CVA will come out with more calibers now that both H&R and Rossi ceased production of all SS rifles? It seems to me that CVA has a great rifle at a great value with the Hunter, but the selection of calibers is very limited. It shocks me they don't have it in 30-06 and/or 308 at least. One in 357 mag would surely be a hit
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio357MagFan wrote:Wow, sounds they they surely won't have any issues with misfirings too! Do you think CVA will come out with more calibers now that both H&R and Rossi ceased production of all SS rifles? It seems to me that CVA has a great rifle at a great value with the Hunter, but the selection of calibers is very limited. It shocks me they don't have it in 30-06 and/or 308 at least. One in 357 mag would surely be a hit
Only they would know that. There caliber selection is a bit different but their other grades of rifles cover other cartridges.
Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Doesn't bergarra make the Cva barrels? I think they also make accessory barrels for Thompson center arms encore and contender lines so they probably will broaden the availability of Cva barrels. And you will probably be able to buy them at Midway, etc.
Ohio357MagFan

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

Zippydoodah,

I sure hope so, so far I've only been able to see and .243 single shot CVA, and I gotta say it felt very high quality and its like $240. They obviously have a good product with their single shot rifles at a great price, now with Rossi and H&R fully halting manufacturing of all single shot rifles I hope CVA will start offering their single shots in a broader range of calibers and make them more available, they are hard to even find anywhere.
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

They kind of look like the Thompson center encore rifle series at 1/2 the cost or less.
Ohio357MagFan

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

Zippy, I think they are more like 1/3 the price of the Encore, the hunter retails for only about $235! I called CVA customer service and the guy was unaware that H&R and Rossi both just totally stopped making all single shot rifles, he seemed shocked. I called them to request they offer the CVA hunter and scout in more calibers, he said they are coming out with a .223 version soon, I bet that will be a huge hit, he said they are first offering it in the compact 20 inch barrel and it will have a modern 1-10 twist rate, same weight and dimentions as the current .243 they offer now. He also said they have a .308 version they sell in Europe where it's made and wasn't sure why they don't offer it in America, but I requested they offer it in 308 and 357 mag. He also remarked the .44 mag version is so popular they can't keep any of them in stock anywhere.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Zippidydoodah wrote:Doesn't bergarra make the Cva barrels? I think they also make accessory barrels for Thompson center arms encore and contender lines so they probably will broaden the availability of Cva barrels. And you will probably be able to buy them at Midway, etc.
The CVA Hunter or Scout does not have interchangeable barrels.
Zippidydoodah wrote:They kind of look like the Thompson center encore rifle series at 1/2 the cost or less.
The latest versions of the Hunter/Scout are a pretty slick looking rifle. The early versions had the Encore look, that of a pistol with an add on rifle stock. Like the Rossi Wizard.
Ohio357MagFan wrote:Zippy, I think they are more like 1/3 the price of the Encore, the hunter retails for only about $235! I called CVA customer service and the guy was unaware that H&R and Rossi both just totally stopped making all single shot rifles, he seemed shocked. I called them to request they offer the CVA hunter and scout in more calibers, he said they are coming out with a .223 version soon, I bet that will be a huge hit, he said they are first offering it in the compact 20 inch barrel and it will have a modern 1-10 twist rate, same weight and dimentions as the current .243 they offer now. He also said they have a .308 version they sell in Europe where it's made and wasn't sure why they don't offer it in America, but I requested they offer it in 308 and 357 mag. He also remarked the .44 mag version is so popular they can't keep any of them in stock anywhere.
Very interesting info and thanks for checking it out. Glad to hear their comments.
Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I'm sure Cva will capitalize on this SS market with their quality and $235 price point, that is about the going price on Thompson barrels alone. I guess I would start with 44 mag and then 223. They have a good reputation in muzzleloading line probably developed the centerfire along those lines. It will probably take five years to get some interesting calibers out there. I had a Cva muzzleloader and gave it to my son. Probably still unfired!
sherman

Post by sherman »

Rossi single shot rifle's will be dead on at 100 yrds for the first shot if you get it to fire after the barrel gets hot in about two rounds it will be high or low again if it fires. It will not shoot cheep ammo. and after the end of the day you will wish to god that you had not bought that rifle