Muzzleloader breech plug

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
bdobraski

Muzzleloader breech plug

Post by bdobraski »

I purchased a used Rossi model 550 BM 50 cal muzzleloader. When I tried to remove the breech plug to clean the barrel I used a 3/8th inch socket. I could not budge it. Anyone with experience here? I have ordered a breech plug wrench from Rossi but they do not have the breech plug in stock. I have searched the internet and cannot find one anywhere. If someone does sale it they do not have it in stock. If I can get a new plug I can drill out the old one if necessary. Any help would be appreciated!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Muzzleloader breech plug

Post by akuser47 »

PB blaster and soak her it can take up to 24 hours to penetrate the threads. Sometimes longer just keep spraying. I spray it inside barrel and on top of the plug. Then let her sit a while with the penetration oil in barrel it should get it free. As RD mentioned in your intro antisieze that plug before reinstalling. Keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

bdobraski wrote:I have ordered a breech plug wrench from Rossi but they do not have the breech plug in stock. I have searched the internet and cannot find one anywhere.

If someone does sale it they do not have it in stock. If I can get a new plug I can drill out the old one if necessary. Any help would be appreciated!
Well, it looks like you have tried as I searched as well and could not come up with anything. I found these TC plug on ebay that looks the same but don't know for sure.

Thompson/Center Arms Breech Plug Encore 209X50, Omega 7763

If the above does work, it would be good idea to get one of these taps as well.

TC Breech Plug Thread Cleaner #7499
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I don't think that the OP has been online in awhile but I see that the Rossi Store has the breech plugs back in stock.

http://www.shoprossi.com/muzzleloader/breech-plug-p503

I just order one, don't know what happened to mine.
Michael
bdobraski

Post by bdobraski »

Thanks Ranch Dog. I will check the Rossi store now,
bdobraski

Post by bdobraski »

Just checked. The Rossi Store cannot find anything in accessories for muzzleloaders.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

bdobraski wrote:Just checked. The Rossi Store cannot find anything in accessories for muzzleloaders.
Yeah, I see that now. When I bought mine they had 20 plus in stock. It will be interesting to see if I actually get one.
Michael
bdobraski

Post by bdobraski »

That's interesting. The site can't find any muzzleloader products.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

bdobraski wrote:That's interesting. The site can't find any muzzleloader products.
What I was trying to say is that maybe they are sold out so the category is not available. My FedEx shipping notice that was sent show it as part of the package.
ShopRossi_shipping_notice.jpg
Why don't you call (305) 685-5966 and ask them?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well so much for the breech plug that I purchased. I received the package yesterday and the plug was not included. No explanation, nothing.
Michael