Rifle/shotgun Action Questions

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Rifle/shotgun Action Questions

Post by klr »

I'm recovering from minor knee surgery today and researching future projects. One thing I'd like to build is a Rook rifle. A 357 mag necked down to 30 cal seems to be popular and provides cheap, mild loads. One popular approach is to build a barrel stub rifle off a cheap single shot rifle or shotgun. From my limited experience handling them in gun shops, it seems like the Rossi action is smaller than the H&R - which makes the Rossi more appealing to me.
So, I have some questions about the Rossi actions. Is there a difference in the frame size between the 410/22 frames and the other larger shotgun frames ? How do either compare to the rifle frames?
Do the shotgun frames have larger firing pins? H&R shotguns need to have the firing pin holes bushed smaller.
Are the shotgun frames strong enough for pistol-power loads? Or maybe 30/30?

I'm thinking there may be some real deals out there soon with Black Friday coming up. Walmart has 20% off and may have something cheap.

Thanks.
Zippidydoodah

Re: Rifle/shotgun Action Questions

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Yes the 22/410 frame is smaller than the 20/12 ga combo barrel sets. The firing pin appears to be smaller than typically used on shotguns and should function Fon on your "rook" what type of speed will u get out your 30/357 mag round. You might consider chambering for 30 herret and 357 herret. Dies are available chep and brass. Is reformed from 30-30 win. It can be down-loaded with lead bullets and be pleasant plinkers. +guns
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

I read that the 410 frames are cast iron so if I go that direction I'll keep the loads mild. Some guys are running 38 special cases in 30 Mauser, 7.62 Tok, or 300 Blackout to neck down and then use a 357 die to size the base if needed. Limit of this round on a cast iron action is around a 150 gr bullet @ 1500 fps, but the real purpose is a subsonic plinking pest round. A 113gr bullet going 600fps should let you quietly take care of that possum in your yard at midnight.

However, using a rifle action and 357 mag or max brass can get you to short range deer hunting territory.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Jhirbirt wrote:reply deleted
I'm not sure what this has to do with my topic, but welcome to the forum!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:
Jhirbirt wrote:reply deleted
I'm not sure what this has to do with my topic, but welcome to the forum!
It had nothing to do with the topic so it was deleted.
Michael
Old Dwag

Post by Old Dwag »

Were the actions used on the original Rossi single-shots in pistol calibers (.357, .44 Magnum; .45 Colt) the same as the action used on the current .410/.45 Colt combination set?

I would like a small game rifle using a small .32 pistol caliber (.32 S&W; .32 ACP; .32 S&W Long; .32 H&R) but want a very light compact gun hopefully about 4.5 pounds for easy carrying.