firearm for a new shooter/hunter

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
jdb

Re: firearm for a new shooter/hunter

Post by jdb »

Moon Tree wrote:Lots of great information. Keep it coming guys. Most of my experience with Mossberg, via friends who have own them, were probably of the "economical" versions. To be honest, I never really gave it any thought that Mossberg made an economical version and a high end version of their shotguns. While I do know the Remington 870 Express is no where near the quality of an 870 Wingmaster.

Mr Surveyor, I think a .243 is a great deer gun. I love my Savage 243. It's a tack driver. I've taken 25 or so deer with it in the last 13 years. Where I hunt there's a 2 deer limit and plus bonus doe tag. And, I muzzleloader hunt and bow hunt. The recoil is light to moderate, about a little as one can get for a deer rifle. Except possibly a M92 in a .357. But, since I just got my Rossi in Feb. I have no practical field experience to offer you on it's effectiveness. But, through my 'redneck" testing of my hunting rounds, I'm betting if a deer ambles within 50 yards of me come Nov., there will be backstraps on the grill.
Actually Moon as someone who has worn an 870 Wingmaster and a couple of Mossbergs SLAP OUT over the last 50+ years and currently has both Wingmaster and Express 870s, I can tell ya that given a choice between an 870 Express and a Mossberg or even a Wingmaster where price is the concern, I'll take the Express. I'm sure the new Mossbergs are decent guns. They sale a ton of them, but my Express is every bit the gun of my Wingmaster, just poorly appointed. No pretty walnut, crappy checkering, ugly black finish, but the dang thing works just as good as my Wingmaster. At least I ain't heard any of the game complaining. ;~)

Of course, no more than she will likely be shooting it, price would be the determining factor in her case. If the Mossberg is cheaper than the Express, that would clinch it for me.

By the way, a single gun will do both. You can actually buy rifled barrels with a cantilevered scope mount built onto the barrel for both Remington and Mossbergs. Then she could sight in her scope and shoot slugs out to about 100 yards with the rifled barrel for deer or swap it out for the stock shot shell barrel choked for hunting turkey. One gun, two barrels and one easy to find ammo.

This is the one for the Express. Scope stays with the barrel and sighted in. IF you don't drop it. LOL

Oh, and the 243 is about the smallest round I'd hunt deer with. But to be honest, she could shoot a 357 or 44 magnum out of a Rossi 92 more comfortably than about any high power rifle and if she is hunting in brush country or woods, I rather have any big bore magnum handgun round than a high speed small bore.
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arvinlas wrote:Hello sir i am new for this forum and i found that this topic is interesting and i like to know all abut the best firearms for me cause i'm a beginner. thanks sir.
Welcome to the forum. The answer, and there will be many suggetions, kind of depends what you want to do with it.
Michael
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

jdb, thanks for your opinion on the Express. I have handled and shot a few, but not enough to have any expertise on their mechanical reliability. Not to mince words, they are just plain ugly when compared to a Wingmaster. I have an 870 Special Field plus a Hastings rifle slug barrel for it. From quail to whitetail, literally 1000's of meals have been cooked up by that gun.

And yes, I was thinking of a 2 barrel system for her, a slug barrel for deer and a shotgun barrel for small game and turkey.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Moon Tree wrote:...Not to mince words, they are just plain ugly when compared to a Wingmaster....
LOL...well, I went with the "poorly appointed" descriptor to save the feelings of some of the more sensitive folk about their Remingtons, but if ya just got to be completely accurate...yeah, butt ugly works about right. ;~)

By the way, you can get it with the synthetic stock, which kind of offsets the ugly and makes it SEEM like they did that on purpose. ;~)

Maybe she'd be happier with that look. Oh, I'll just remind ya to be sure to get the magnum for her. I wouldn't start her out shootin' um, but as you well know, she will appreciate it when she starts hunting.
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
retAFShooter

Post by retAFShooter »

Thinking outside the box, she might like this little Circuit Judge in 44 magnum as a starter rifle for deer. Today, after shooting my H&R single shot 20 gauge, this CJ felt really light, and it was very accurate. Picture shows results from a few days ago:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/RetAFShooter
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Thanks retA, for you suggestion. I'm thinking she wants 1 gun that will do it all.

Mostly, thanks for bringing back some memories of my youth. Dad bought me a H&R single shot 20 gauge for my 13th birthday. My birthday is Christmas Eve, but he gave it to me in Nov. for rabbit season. That little gun kicked like a mule, much worst than his .12 gauges I was used to shooting. It was a bunny killer. It did suck as a squirrel gun, though.

I mentioned I got the H&R as an early 13th birthday present; a little family history on that. Mom's rule was I could not have a BB gun until I was 13. I got my first BB gun, a Daisy CO2 BB pistol at 6, a Daisy lever action rifle at 8, a Daisy long stroke pump BB rifle at 9, a Crossman .22 cal pump up rifle at 11 and a Winchester model 67B .22 cal rifle at 12. Mom's rules usually carried the weight of Congress expect with Dad and my firearm acquisitions. haha
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

I have to agree with the others. Mossberg 500 and a decent .243. Just about everyone makes an economical bolt action chambered for it. The Ruger American deserves a second look.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.