"Dropped" Wizards in Australia

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Jacko

"Dropped" Wizards in Australia

Post by Jacko »

Well Folks I read the Wizard has been dropped for 2014 on this Forum, a bit later I read a large local Gunshop is advertising them and selling them at the usual inflated price us Aussie's must pay for Firearms.

http://cleaverfirearms.com/Rifles_Rossi%2002.htm

No big deal as Wizards have been for sale to a generally disinterested public since their introduction. Today I read a Full Page advertisement in "Australian Shooter" Magazine featuring the Wizard. I've seen Rossi Adverts before but not for a model that has been dropped. Looks like the last of the Wizards are being pushed Downunder with no hint given they have been dropped from production.

I have considered the Wizard in the past, still keen just don't have $500 right now.

regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

-Charles Darwin
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "Dropped" Wizards in Australia

Post by Ranch Dog »

I guess you've got to get rid of that inventory somehow. Trying to sell one here on Gunbroker is pretty tough! It too bad as they are a better product than the Single Shot as they don't have the light primer strike issues and the don't have the soft ejection that has plagued that series.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Glad I stuck with the NEF/H&R B/O SS rifles.
A little trigger work and a chamber polishing and they are great guns.
It appears the Rossi Wizards weren't all they were cranked-up to be and a lot of the barrel/caliber/gauge options quite frankly existed on the internet only and weren't really available to buy.
Getting parts for discontinued Wizards should be an interesting proposition :shock: ...........thank goodness there aren't that many parts in/on a Wizard or any B/O SS for that matter. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

I like the Handi Rifles myself but here they are $500 and no extra Barrels or Barrel fitting service is available the major appeal they hold for me is gone. Maybe spare parts for the wizard may be available in limited supply but at least there is a few spare Barrel options available over the counter.

regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

-Charles Darwin
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Jacko wrote:I like the Handi Rifles myself but here they are $500 and no extra Barrels or Barrel fitting service is available the major appeal they hold for me is gone. Maybe spare parts for the wizard may be available in limited supply but at least there is a few spare Barrel options available over the counter.
At present Jacko, all of the Rossi Single Shot and Wizard parts are restricted here in the US but both can be found dirt cheap on eBay. Your distribution system might be different.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Jacko wrote:I like the Handi Rifles myself but here they are $500 and no extra Barrels or Barrel fitting service is available the major appeal they hold for me is gone. Maybe spare parts for the wizard may be available in limited supply but at least there is a few spare Barrel options available over the counter.

regards Jacko
I think I paid $189 for my NEF SB2-457 in 45-70 back in the 90s.
It is a really strong rifle design & will shoot the suped-up Buffalo Bore and Garrett ammo with no problem.

I saw one for $269 just before Big Green bought bought NEF/H&R which was quite recently.

I shoulda grabbed a NEF SB2-500 in 500 S&W that were sold as recently as a coupla years ago.......don't see a single one anywhere now. The 500 S&W would have impressive ballistics in a sealed receiver (vs a vented revolver action) rifle.

These single action firearms are currently manufactured by Remington under the H&R brand name.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA