Trigger/hammer problem with Singleshot rifle.

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
bentile1

Trigger/hammer problem with Singleshot rifle.

Post by bentile1 »

HELP! I have a trifecta with 50cal, 17hmr, and 270. It has started having a problem when the hammer is pulled back, it will fire without pulling the trigger. Unfortunately, it is out of warranty. any ideas of the cause? how hard/expensive to fix? Is this something a gunsmith can fix, or do I have to send it in to Rossi?

Here is a video of the problem...

[youtube][/youtube]
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trigger/hammer problem with Singleshot rifle.

Post by Ranch Dog »

If it was me, I would send it back to Rossi.
Michael
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Trigger/hammer problem with Singleshot rifle.

Post by Model 52 »

It's a classic case of the hammer "pushing off".

It's caused by the hammer and sear having a negative engagement, and that's caused by either excessive wear, or more often someone doing a trigger job with out knowing what they are doing. The problem is that if you take too much metal off the trigger/sear, you file or stone your way through the face hardened outer steel and get into the softer, tougher inner steel. The result is often a great feeling trigger with a nice, light pull. unfortunately it won't last long as the softer metal wears quickly. When that happens, you get a negative engagement problem and push off.

A new trigger will probably fix the problem. If not a new hammer and trigger will fix the problem.

If it's a factory trigger and is just a matter of soft parts and excessive wear, they might fix it for you, even if it's out of warranty as it's clearly a safety issue. However if the trigger job was done after it left the factory, then i would not expect them to be sympathetic.

Unfortunately Rossi parts are almost impossible to get, so even though it's a simple fix, it'll probably have to go back to the factory.