RD's Muzzleloader

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: RD's Muzzleloader

Post by akuser47 »

Ranch Dog wrote:
akuser47 wrote:My uncle always used anti sieze on his cap nipples I remeber him being mad at me when I was using it as paint. :oops: I was 6 and painting the sidewalk with his antisieze.
Haah, that's funny! That stuff is tough to get off! Thanks for the info, it helps to know that you are on the right track!
I do remember when I was over at his place I noticed after he shoots and cleans them he leaves the nipple out until he is ready to go out again not sure his reason never asked but he lives in west virginia and lives off the grid now. His idea of heaven. 40 miles from the closest town.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Thanks for your comments about sight problem. I still went ahead and pulled the trigger on the combo so hopefully will have a shorter correction curve to deal with. I'm glad it uses 209 primers. They are a big improvement over the #11 caps. I have a T/C scout inline that could really use a 209 primer. T/C told me to shoot BP in it because it was easier to ignite. Their inline nipple was about 3" long and had 2 large vent holes circumferencially before the chamber where all the fire could escape (they said to equalize pressure). Anyway it is a pretty but unreliable shooter.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've been deer hunting hard the last couple weeks so that leaves little shooting time but first on my list is this Single Shot ML. I need it for the last season to police up the rest of our permitted deer.
Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I was attempting to mount a red dot scope on my shotgun barrel as it (red dot) came in the mail last night. The base is too narrow, I presume the same problem you had. I'll add the shims and see what happens. My 50 cal barrel also sports the A. Rossi stamp so the sight was probably misdrilled also. The stock is also getting daily tru oil care, although I will probably stop before 12 coats. It also is a similar grained wood with tiger stripes on the rear stock. The forearm is more like a regular non-descript stock. All in all it looks like a quality gun. The 12 gauge has a nice short ported barrel and should shoot slugs good.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Zippidydoodah wrote:I was attempting to mount a red dot scope on my shotgun barrel as it (red dot) came in the mail last night. The base is too narrow, I presume the same problem you had.
Check to see if your red dot was designed to mount on a 20mm Weaver, Picantinny, or RIS rail (most are) which are different (narrower) than a Weaver base. These mount systems are to a mil spec rather than the traditional Weaver base.
Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I was using a Japanese red dot with separate 1" weaver style quick hinge mounts. When the mount is tight on the tube it is still loose on the base. I'll try some shim stock as you did. At least I was forewarned about the possibility of it happening. Better that way then fumbling around for several hours pulling my hair out(already bald). Ha
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I tried a set of regular rings after I measured the Rossi base to a Weaver base-same,same. The weaver rings tightened up good. Evidently the quick mount rings I pulled off was NATO or mil-spec. You know, nothing is id'd. You would hope it is all to same standard. Anyway thanks for getting me back on track.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Glad to hear you figured it out!

I had noticed that when I had bought the NCStar scout scopes that the rings where some other standard than the Weaver base, probably mil spec. The scopes had the 30mm tube so may be that triggers that they are packaged for a rail rather than a base.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Shot the sabots with my 350-grain .430 bullets. Did not like the performance from an accuracy standpoint. A mouse chewed through my CED Chrony cable so I ordered another skyscreen unit. All this means I wasn't able to record velocity. I have an F1 that I could have setup but within a few shots I could see the sabots were not going to work out.

I will go back to the two Lee REAL bullets and make a decision on the 250 or 320 grain. These have been almost a single hole shooter through 50 yards. If I'm able to figure out the barrel cleaning cycle they like, they will probably shoot through a single hole.
Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

RD, it seems like the only benefit on your sabots loAds would be no leading or lla clean out . It may not be as accurate as the real bullets. Have you tried the lighter 240 grain lead saboteur bullets? They should give about 1800+ fps which may give flatter shooting to 150 yards or so. I haven't had to shoot that far in my neck of Ala woods, but also less recoil for young shooters.