The one and only 38-55 Win just arrived at the Ranch!

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Die maker needs a swift kick in the keister !

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Steelbanger wrote: The bullet seating die barrel is as crooked as a snake. The die is inducing .17" worth of run-out! This is a new set of dies but I have a set of 375 Win dies so I started using them (same difference).
That's outrageous for any set of dies let alone a new set ! :shock:
Whatever company shipped those dies needs a good kick in the extremities of their derriere. :evil:
I'd be sending those dies back with a stern letter demanding a refund and advising the manufacturer to pull their socks up.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The one and only 38-55 Win just arrived at the Ranch!

Post by Ranch Dog »

I really don't get up in arms about stuff like this and I don't take it personally. I called Lee and with their apologies they told me to throw them in the garbage and the new set arrived yesterday. I have 27 of their die sets and that is the first bad dies I've found.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:I really don't get up in arms about stuff like this and I don't take it personally. I called Lee and with their apologies they told me to throw them in the garbage and the new set arrived yesterday. I have 27 of their die sets and that is the first bad dies I've found.
I have a lot of Lee dies.......probably more Lees than any other dies and have never had a problem with any of them.
They get the same job done for considerably less money.
I've had good results with the Lee "factory crimp" dies.
I think I'd still be somewhat peeved off if I found a die in my sets that was introducing "run out" into my hand loads.
You have more patience than me.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Time to bring this one back up to the top. Have you done any more with this one Michael? I have a Marlin and Ruger #3 in the 375 Win, and a Marlin 38-55CB and 2 H&R 38-55's, but think I need JES to do one for me as well. The RG is a nice alternative to the Marlin 30-30's I have been thinking of sending off. Do you thiink the feeding issue after the re-bore/re-chamber is something to expect from all 375/38-55 mods on the RG? Love my 444's, but I'm starting to think the 375 would handle 99% of the hunting done in the lower 48. DP
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

dpe.ahoy wrote:Time to bring this one back up to the top. Have you done any more with this one Michael? I have a Marlin and Ruger #3 in the 375 Win, and a Marlin 38-55CB and 2 H&R 38-55's, but think I need JES to do one for me as well. The RG is a nice alternative to the Marlin 30-30's I have been thinking of sending off. Do you thiink the feeding issue after the re-bore/re-chamber is something to expect from all 375/38-55 mods on the RG? Love my 444's, but I'm starting to think the 375 would handle 99% of the hunting done in the lower 48. DP
It is doing it's thing, hunting hogs. As far as the feed issue, what I found was a "ridge," forward to aft, at the 12 o'clock position of the port in the receiver that mates with the magazine tube. I used a half-round file to smooth it out. Next, under the advice of JES and another gunsmith, I "ramped" that port in the receiver front to back with the deeper cut inside the receiver. If you will, a mirror image of the feed ramp to the chamber (inverted). The "inverted" ramp inside the receiver at the tube allows bullets that retain their diameter to the meplat to cycle dependably. Same half-round file did the trick.

For a 38-55 Win, I think the bore/groove a bit under-diameter for what I've seen with the Marlin rifles. JES cuts a .366/.376 which caused me to work on another bullet specific to this rifle. This rifle needs a .376 to .377 bullet vs. the .379 to .380 bullets of the typical 38-55 Win. The bullet is in Lee's lineup to be cut, a TLC378-250-RF but I will only be for my use. I'm not going to sell it through my store.
Michael
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

How's that 38-55 doin on the hogs? I'm guessing it does a darn good job, maybe not quite as big a hit as the 444 but still very effective. I knew JES cuts a tighter bore, which I think for most of us is a good thing. Easier for us non-casters to find accurate bullets. Thanks Michael. DP
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

dpe.ahoy wrote:How's that 38-55 doin on the hogs? I'm guessing it does a darn good job, maybe not quite as big a hit as the 444 but still very effective. I knew JES cuts a tighter bore, which I think for most of us is a good thing. Easier for us non-casters to find accurate bullets. Thanks Michael. DP
Honestly, I haven't been messing with it much. Most of my shooting as of late has been with the RG4570 and my 92s. It will work it's way back into the lineup soon. Really it is too hot to do much.
Michael
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Have you worked with this one much more, or is she still waiting in the back of the safe? +zzz Ya know these ladies really need to be prettied up and taken out to dance once in a while. :lol: DP
AhnkoChee
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by AhnkoChee »

What an interesting project, great reading! I wish Rossi would consider chambering the Rio Grande from the factory in 38/55. It would certainly be good medicine for our large forest hogs.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum