30-30 loading gate

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Kazi

30-30 loading gate

Post by Kazi »

Hi Everyone, very merry Christmas to all.
I want to order a 336 Marlin RPP manufactured lighter loading gate for my Rossi Rio Grande 30-30 , but want to ask if someone have tried it and if it will fit ? Thank you.
HAKUNA MATATA !
Kazi

Re: 30-30 loading gate

Post by Kazi »

Another question - maybe someone out there will be able to help with this one: will the Marlin 336 front firing pin fit and function in the Rossi RG 30-30 .. straight fit or maybe with a bit of tinkering?
HAKUNA MATATA !
Kazi

Post by Kazi »

Not one reply .. anyway, I have ordered a 1895 extractor, bear proof ejector and a firing pin from Marlin in the UK - will have a look for myself what the difference is in the firing pins. Are there anyone on this forum that still have a functioning Rio Grande 30-30 ... Seems so dead in here?
HAKUNA MATATA !
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Kazi, I don't know. Could be the timing of your post and the holidays. Could be that whoever has some insight as to the parts interchangeability just hasn't seen your post, yet. A week does seem like a long time though.
In the meantime, do you know anyone that has a Marlin to, maybe, compare the parts with? Even just some good photos (with graph paper or a ruler background) might help you.
This is just my anemic attempt to help.
Kazi

Post by Kazi »

Thank you
HAKUNA MATATA !
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't have a Rio Grande. I do have a Marlin 336 from 1951. Like everyone else, I had to replace the firing pin. I have never seen a Rio Grande in person. Since basically no R92 parts interchange with the Winchester 1892, I kinda doubt much of the Rio Grande parts interchange with the 336. Since I don't know, I did not reply.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Did Marlin in the UK represent that the 1895 extractor should fit the 336?

Could happen but the 1895 is typically built around the 45-70 Govt or 444 Marlin, both of which I'd expect to be a bit larger case head and rim diameter than the .30-30.
Kazi

Post by Kazi »

Archer, you are right .. it will only fit with a bit of stoning on the hook itself .. I anticipate to use the original Rossi extractor as template to get to the exact profile. The 336 extractors is currently sold out , therefore I ordered the 1895 one l. Also ordered the 336 bearproof ejector _ this should be a straight replacement. Just not sure about the 336 firing pin? I stay in Namibia (Africa) and Marlin UK do not ship rifle parts but luckily my niece stays in the UK and will ship these to me. There is absolutely no one in Namibia or South Africa that sells Rossi spares , and gun dealers not even interested to try to assist? I am not even talking about the other countries in dark Africa - useless to say the least. I bought these as I have read that these parts are the most likely to break on the Rossi. Do not know if this is your experience as well? The firing pin not so much but it will give me peece of mind to have it , should it decide to fail in future. Hopefully I can make it fit or a few $ will be down the drain .. not that much though for me to have taken the chance on it. On another note .. did you guys get any white tail to fill your fridges during your hunting season? I have a trip booked for June this year to shoot a Springbok and Gemsbok in the Namibian Kalahari (about 700km from where I stay in the South of Namibia) will be done with the Rossi 30-30 with a 2-7x33 Leupold .. within 200m. Have done a lot of hunting in the past with bigger cal. - this will be the first with 30-30. Ps. Thank you to all you old timers for still keeping this great forum allive. For a while it felt like I was the only one in the whole world that have a Rossi Rio Grande 30-30. Must admit that I think that I did buy the last new one in the whole world here in Namibia.
HAKUNA MATATA !
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

We can hardly get Rossi parts in the US as well and the dealers here cannot help much either.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Kazi

Post by Kazi »

Sorry to hear Gas. I always thought that it would still be easy to find their spares in the US. I knew from the start that the Rossi might be a problem should it break but nostalgia got the best of me and I was willing to take the chance .. If it breaks and myself or a gunsmith somewhere can't fix it , I'll hang it above my fireplace as a souvenir. I have read some horror stories about the Rio Grande 30-30 .. are they really that bad or can they last longer than a "Remlin" if looked after and after smoothing/shoot in is done?
HAKUNA MATATA !