Rio Grande 30-30 ammo

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Kazi

Rio Grande 30-30 ammo

Post by Kazi »

Howdy all esteemed members, I see on Marlin sites that the Prvi Partizan .30-30 Win. ammo (PPU) is causing some major extraction issues on the 336's etc. .. would like to hear from you guys who have or have not experienced related issues while shooting the Rossi RG with this ammo - will I encounter the same with a "late", new Rossi ? The PPU 170gr and also Sellier & Bellot 150gr is the only available makes in my country. We do not really have a big choice of 30-30 bullets to choose from and must take what we get. Please let me know what your thoughts are on these 2 makes - do not want to bugger up my new Rossi RG.
HAKUNA MATATA !
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rio Grande 30-30 ammo

Post by Ranch Dog »

Where there any discussion as to why the cases were sticking. I'm to the point that all my brass is PPU, but I don't shoot factory ammo. I haven't had any problem with the brass. The only Rio Grande I have left is the one I rechambered to 30-30AI.
Michael
Kazi

Post by Kazi »

Hi Ranch Dog .. yes - apparently something to do with the hotter "than USA" loads that expand the cartridge when fired which make them stick in the chamber and then have to be hammered out with cleaning rod :shock: see here: https://www.marlinowners.com/threads/an ... 36.237737/
and here: https://www.marlinowners.com/threads/bo ... ay.180315/
This is post #14 from the above link: "It's well documented on the forum that PPU in 30-30 is loaded "hot". This ammunition has caused failure to extract issues in my 30-30's and several other members. I would urge you and all members of this forum to not use this ammunition in their rifles. I promise you that if you switch to another brand of ammunition your extraction issue will disappear."

Maybe these issues is just due to dirty guns but ja , as I said - the PPU and S&B is the only ones available for me right now.
HAKUNA MATATA !
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Slight hi-jack, but ...
Ranch Dog wrote: The only Rio Grande I have left is the one I rechambered to 30-30AI.
... I was a bit surprised to read this. You had one of the good Rio Grande .45-70's, a proclaimed favorite. Was not aware you moved it on. Have you now a different .45-70 lever ?
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

July 2014 thread: Birddog thread on Monarch (PPU) brass difficult to extract

https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2714
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Kazi

Post by Kazi »

Thanx ... extract from this post: "Whatever is getting hung up in the action is getting knocked loose again when I close the lever. I had to do lots of work to my locking bolt just to correct a headspace issue, and also the locking bolt was binding the firing pin which prevented the rifle from firing" .. is there maybe a write up to explain how to correct the headspace issue.. or do I just need to polish the locking Bolt?
HAKUNA MATATA !
Kazi

Post by Kazi »

Starting to doubt my purchase now on this rifle .. was it really worth the USD1000 I paid for it ? Well it's anyway too late to change my mind now - the licensing process have started. Maybe I'm just making myself paranoid. Do you guys know if I will I be able to find parts for the RG 30-30 , if needed , and where ?
HAKUNA MATATA !
Kazi

Post by Kazi »

Kazi wrote:Starting to doubt my purchase now on this rifle .. was it really worth the USD1000 I paid for it ? Well it's anyway too late to change my mind now - the licensing process have started. Maybe I'm just making myself paranoid. Do you guys know if I will I be able to find parts for the RG 30-30 , if needed , and where ?
I think I must just wait till I have the gun and do all the cleaning .. cycle it a few 100 times while cleaning in-between - smooth where needed and if I encounter any problems I will ask for help .. sorry for rambling on people, but I look so forward to this rifle and yet so scared that it might be a dud. Watch this pace. Thank you
HAKUNA MATATA !
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I have not had any problems with PPU headstamp.
I HAVE had issues with NNY headstamp which I think is also a Prvi headstamp.
IN particular some 24+ years ago or more I purchased some Hansen ammunition in .30-30. Other than the factory ammo having plated primers where the plating left crap in the action the ammo functioned ok from the factory. On subsequent reloading the brass a time or two I found it got a bit hard to chamber in my Winchester 94. I never had any real problems extracting it but after reloading it a time or two I discarded the brass because it would not resize down like Winchester/Federal/Remington brass did.

That's the only problems I've ever had with .30-30 or Privi. Given that it was probably over a quarter century ago I'm not sure you can say it would apply to today.

I am hopeful that Prvi has gotten better or that those problems were unique. I have shot some Prvi in different calibers in the past ten years or so and I haven't noticed the primer plating shards. I've got about a case of it in 6.5x55 and a half case to a case and a half of .30 Carbine. Might also have some small quantity of odds and sods. I think reviews of Prvi have not been particularly consistent. Now that everyone has a chrony it is pretty easy for folks to set up and get velocity variations and communicate group sizes.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I never quite buy internet suggestion that a particular ammo is loaded "hotter" unless presented with evidence that it is so. Over time I have opportunity to compare PPU ammo to Winchester, Remington and Norma in 30-06, 6.5x55 and 7mmx57, same day, same rifles off the bench with an Oehler 35P chronograph. There was enough difference in the register MV's or the felt recoil or the functioning of the rifles a M-1 Garand, a Swedish Mauser and a Rugger #1. I don't believe Privi would selectively load a given cartridge "hotter" than the rest of the line.

Now by way of full discloser I did have some sticking problems with some PPU 45-70 in a Rossi Wizard single shot, but the same gun also stuck Winchester and Remington turned out to have a ring around the chamber from shooting Hornady 45-70 with the shorten case. I've run PPU 45-70 through my 1895 Marlin with no problems.

We will all be interested in your experience.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image