2-7x33 Leupold with Warne QD rings

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Kazi

2-7x33 Leupold with Warne QD rings

Post by Kazi »

Howdy all esteemed members .. I'm from Namibia in Africa (Southern Namibia - mostly open plain hunting) and this is my first post as new member .. very pleased to meet you all and pleased to have joined the rossi-rifleman forum. I recently acquired a "new" Rossi Rio Grande 30-30 (only this one was available from very old stock from a gun shop that was closed for a long time due to the owner that took his own life and the following legalities to establish a new owner and getting all rifles onto his name etc.) It's got the OEM weaver style rail above chamber and I am thinking bout getting a Leupold VX Freedom 2-7x33 scope with the medium QD Warne mounting rings (what do you think?). Will this be a good scope/ring combination to still allow me to control the hammer without an extension or should I rather go for the lower profile? Maybe someone can chime in that have the exact same, or close, setup? I choose a 2-7x because the bucks are normally not closer than 150 yards in the South of Namibia where I can hunt and I am not a young man with good eyesight anymore .. lol.
Last edited by Kazi on 05 Oct 2021 03:56, edited 2 times in total.
Phil Morris

Re: 2-7x33 Leupold with Warne QD rings

Post by Phil Morris »

Welcome to the forum. I have no experience with the exact set up you are considering but I can share the set up on mine. I have mounted a Simmons 3-9X40 scope. It isn't an expensive scope but performs plenty well for my purposes. The rifle is dead on at 100 yards. Even that is a long shot for Texas whitetail and hogs. I can't remember the specifics on the mount rings. I had a few sets on hand and chose a set that would get the scope lowest without the objective bell getting into the iron sights. A little lower would allow a more perfect cheek weld but this works fine.
Rossi Rio Grande 30-30 small.jpg
Rossi RG 30-30 scope set up small.jpg
Rossi RG 30-30 Scope small.jpg
I am using a thumb extension on the hammer. This is a fine shooting little carbine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil Morris
Spankyukes.com
DFWBoatRide.com
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I can't comment too much on the setup and whether or not it will clear the hammer but I'd EXPECT medium rings on a railed receiver to stand up a mite.

I have a LOT of Warne rings on quite a few rifles and IMO they make a quality produce
I'm considering getting another couple sets of them (ultra high) for a couple project AR rifles I'm working on now.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Both Warne and Leupold are good about sharing dimensions of their products. You should be able to suss it out from their specs. I’ve cut paper doll scope silhouettes in the past to assess a setup. Welcome!
Kazi

Post by Kazi »

Thanx for the warm welcome and quick reply guys .. That surely is a sweet looking setup Phil - thank you for the pictures (you will be able to easily hunt on Namibias wide open plains with that setup (in the Hornady gummy point bullets limits off course) , this already gives me a good idea. Is that thumb extension the same Part as for the Marlin 336 (I understand most of their internals fit the RG)? I am sure the smaller Leupold will clear the hammer and barrel with low rings installed but not sure I will be able to get away without the extension if not using the medium height rings) If my finger should slip the safety will prevent accidental fire right? Can the safety be used as a kind of de-cocker if needed? I do not have my gun yet as I am awaiting the licensing process to complete - takes about 2 months in Namibia - the gun shop keeps it till I have the license. I will definately post a pic or two of my setup when I receive it. Thanx again.
HAKUNA MATATA !
Kazi

Post by Kazi »

I have today ordered a Leopold Vx Freedom 2-7x33 scope + medium height Warne QD rings to fit on the standard Rossi RG 30-30 weaver rail 63B. I hope that this will be a good fit that will still allow me to use the hammer without extension and not having to remove the rear Buckhorn site? My eyes looks like I've been smoking something good from all the Googling that I've done today and I am still not convinced .. but I'm biting the bullet now on this configuration.
HAKUNA MATATA !
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I don't recommend using the safety as a decocker.
I've seen too many old school guns like the CZ-52 where either the decocker/safety or the hammer or both have bashed each other enough that the decocker is a firing trigger.
Kazi

Post by Kazi »

Thanx Archer .. will rather try to get hold of the Uncle Mike's hammer extension. I believe the Winchester 94"s will work - saw them advertised on Ampro (Code: UMA24500) hopefully they will ship to Africa.
HAKUNA MATATA !
Phil Morris

Post by Phil Morris »

I have deleted my previous post about the Mike's hammer extension not working for me. After reading the sticky about how it was working for others I thought through my procedure and concluded that I am not 100% sure the hammer extension I found in my parts box in Mike's 2450-0 packaging was indeed a Mike's 2450-0. It is possible that at some time past I put it in the wrong bag. I have a hammer extension on one of my Winchester 94s. I took it off and it fits right on the Rio Grande. Mea culpa.
Phil Morris
Spankyukes.com
DFWBoatRide.com
Kazi

Post by Kazi »

Phil, sine cura sis ... Or like we say in Afrika "Hakuna matata". I am now waiting for my Leupold 2-7x33 with the medium Warne QD rings that I ordered. I should have the rifle in hand in a month or two ... just waiting for licensing to complete then I will know if the extension is needed after installation of the scope... will then probably order this part from Ampro if needed - my thumb is luckily not very big. Thank you again - I appreciate your advice and for clarifying.

I am looking so forward to shoot this rifle for the first time - it was always a dream of mine to own a lever action. I can remember vividly how as kids we used to play "cowboy's and indians" in a dry riverbed/bush near where I stayed and the lever-action playgun was of course my "weapon" of choice. Nowadays kids only play on their cellphones and PC's and stay indoors.
Last edited by Kazi on 06 Oct 2021 06:49, edited 1 time in total.
HAKUNA MATATA !