Rio Grande 410

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
North Idaho Shooter

Rio Grande 410

Post by North Idaho Shooter »

Picked up a Rio Grande 410 this weekend. Found it in a pawn/gunshop at what I figured was a reasonable price. It's got a couple of wood scratches and a couple of scrapes on the sharp edge of the receiver over the ejection port, but other than that, it was in fine shape. Price was less than $400.

After getting it home and doing a very thorough inspection, the only real issue I found was that it was fairly stiff when loading rounds into the magazine. I also noticed some serious tool marks on the carrier.

I checked YouTube for a disassembly video, but didn't find anything. Does the Rio Grands take down the same way as a Marlin 336? I figure to do a little polishing/deburring on some of the parts.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rio Grande 410

Post by Ranch Dog »

North Idaho Shooter wrote:Does the Rio Grands take down the same way as a Marlin 336? I figure to do a little polishing/deburring on some of the parts.
Yeah, it comes apart just like a 336.

The general condition you describe would be my guess as to what ended sales of this series. Funny, 92 owners don't seem to mind tinkering with tuning, but not the same for a fellow buying a RG/336. I know a lot of Marlin guys that have never removed the bolt from their rifles.
Michael
North Idaho Shooter

Thanks, Ranch Dog. I figured it was the same, but wanted a second opinion. I've tinkered plenty with the Rossi 92's, and I don't figure the Rio Grands to be too much for me to handle. After an initial trip to the range (hopefully tomorrow), I'll see about getting down to business smoothing things out a bit.

Thanks again.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

That's odd. A 336 is much easier to work on.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:That's odd. A 336 is much easier to work on.
If you are talking about a run of the mill 336 30-30 Win, I'm will bet a lot more are bought and not shot than there are those that shoot regularly

When people I meet her or see that I'm a Marlin guy, they will say that they have one. I ask them if they shoot or hunt with it and invariably the answer is "Nah, it sits in the corner of the (you name the spot)".
Michael
North Idaho Shooter

Took it out to the range yesterday and put a box of Federal 2-1/2" through it. Cycling was pretty good--no failures to feed or eject, and loading, while more difficult than my Marlins, wasn't too bad, once I figured out the angle it liked for the rounds to go in, and a little wiggling besides. Far from not usable. Pattern with #6's was pretty decent at 25 yards, although sparse on pellets--not a lot of pellets in the case to begin with. Figure it's a keeper.

On the plus side, the loading gate/port did not cut me up, like the 92's are prone to do! LOL.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Yup, the 410 is an unforgiving bunny load. Best done with rifle sights and quick follow ups. Enjoy!

Wait, does it take 3 inchers?

And what’s the choke? Are you fixin’ to try slugs?
North Idaho Shooter

It only takes 2-1/2" shells. It may have something to do with the capabilities of the action length, as I don't recall ever seeing one that takes 3".

As near as I can tell, it seems to be an open choke, but I'm really not sure.

I hadn't thought about slugs, but it may be worth a try--if I can find some.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I shoot Remington 2 1/2 slugs in my AR 410. With the flip up rifle sights it does 3" at 50 yards. I haven't tried it past that. I find them at Cabelas locally.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

An open choke should handle slugs very well. Sure worth a try.

My old Savage Model 24 is a full choke, I believe. The only slugs that work in that one are Bernake, and they cost an arm and a leg. Some others group well enough, but don’t hit the same point of aim as the 22.