Issues found on 45-70.....

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
jgyus

Issues found on 45-70.....

Post by jgyus »

I have hesitated to post without some range time results about my sons stainless RG since its been properly broken down and cleaned but winter up here has saved the worst for last. February made up for the 20's and 30's since November and the foot of snow last weekend, ahhh. Before the bolt was taken apart I took the locking lug and with my thumb put it into the bolt to align the two piece firing pin and had to use a small screwdriver to slide the pin forward, it was resistant to move. The first shot of breakclean was black and more than several pieces of filings came out. The pin wasn't scored up anywhere so I just gave everything a wipe with CLP and reassembled. Works easy now. The other correction was the set screw for the hammer block safety took almost 3 turns to bottom out. Reassembled it to just over a turn out and the safety is much more firm to operate. Deletion is an option if it doesn't stay put. Thanks for the sound advice, may have some more questions before things get rolling. Looking forward to spring and the smell of spent powder!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Issues found on 45-70.....

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nice work. I use blue LokTite on the safety set screw. Your rifle is looking for a South Dakota whitetail!
Michael