Bummed, lever drops, bolt out of battery!

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
plinker

Bummed, lever drops, bolt out of battery!

Post by plinker »

I have a Rio Grande 30.30 and the lever will not stay up, it falls out of battery super easy. Is this a common problem?
Last edited by Ranch Dog on 17 Feb 2018 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited topic title.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bummed, lever drops, bolt out of battery!

Post by Ranch Dog »

I own three and in that my don't fall out of battery I would say that the issue with your rifle is uncommon. How about a little more info; is this a new or used rifle? If used, any idea what has been done to it? If unknown, what do the screw head have to say, have the various screws in the receiver been removed?

Oh, welcome to the forum! I'm going to edit the title of your topic to see if it will promote some help.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

My guess is the Trigger Guard Latch Pin is not acting against its spring. Either that or the angle on the surface of the pin is worn. The channel for the pin could also be impacted with crud from the shipping grease.
Michael
plinker

Post by plinker »

It's a new rifle never been fired since I bought it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

plinker wrote:It's a new rifle never been fired since I bought it.
Then, I guess that the packing grease that has worked its way into Latching Pin has hardened and it is stuck in the collapsed position.

If you haven't done so, the rifle should be taken down and cleaned. If nothing else, pull the buttstock and spray out the receiver with non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Hold it vertical with the bolt open and spray the cleaner down through the receiver. With a new Rossi, I start a cycle of the cleaner rinse, then blow the cleaner out with compressed air, and then spray it with a quality gun oil. I cycle the lever one hundred times, releasing the trigger with my thumb on the hammer, and let my thumb lower it with each cycle. The cleaner and oil should be directed at everything; the bolt, the latch pin spring, everything. You will be surprised how much gunk comes out of the rifle; you will probably need a couple of cans of cleaner. After 500 cycles the spray should run out clear, and all the moving parts should be well fitted and free of old grease. Lube it up again and remove the excess and see if the lever is still dropping.
Michael
plinker

Post by plinker »

Thanks for all the help!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Hopefully, the cleaning will correct the issue, with a Rossi that is always the first step before you start addressing specific problems. Otherwise...

Michael