Brand New Rossi 92 .357 Magnum - Can't Chamber a round...

This forum is for members to relate their RossiUSA customer service experience, both good and bad, but it must be done in a reasonable and civil fashion. Rants will be moderated. Newly Registered Members with five (5) or fewer posts...
Forum rules
  • This site is not associated with RossiUSA/Braztech nor is RossiUSA/Braztech responsible for this site's content nor do they or any of their representatives participate on this forum!
  • Rants will be moderated.
  • To participate in this forum, you must have more than five (5) posts.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Brand New Rossi 92 .357 Magnum - Can't Chamber a round..

Post by golfish »

RayMich wrote:Thank you all for your replies.

This is my first ever Rossi/Taurus firearm and I must admit that my previous decisions to avoid Taurus firearms is being reinforced by this rifle's less than stellar performance.

When I went to pick up this rifle, I inspected it as much as I could short of putting live ammo through it. The fit and finish looked good. And cycling the action at the dealer's counter felt OK at the time. -- Snap Caps chamber fine, but then they are not shaped like the typical 158gr .357 hunting ammo.

I was told by someone who 'claims' to be a Rossi M92 expert that these guns are not designed to chamber full size .357 ammo, especially 158gr hunting ammo and that I should only use the Hornady LEVERevolution ammo with the tapered bullet and polymer tip. I have a hard time believing that these rifles aren't designed to chamber 158gr Jacketed Soft Point hunting ammo, particularly since I've read threads in this forum about people using 158gr ammo in their Rossi 92s without any problems.

I ordered the rifle from Davidson's specifically because of their lifetime/free-replacement warranty and took delivery through one of their local dealers. Looks like I am about to test their warranty.

I've already talked to the dealer and he said to bring it back, so it looks like this rifle will be going back on Monday.

Best regards.

- Ray -
Ray, the problem is that the next rifle you get could very well be the same. I sent mine back to Rossi and they fixed it. Took about 6 long weeks and rossi paid for shipping both ways. Mine will now chamber any .357 rounds I throw at it.
RayMich

Post by RayMich »

golfish wrote:
RayMich wrote:
I ordered the rifle from Davidson's specifically because of their lifetime/free-replacement warranty and took delivery through one of their local dealers. Looks like I am about to test their warranty.

I've already talked to the dealer and he said to bring it back, so it looks like this rifle will be going back on Monday.

Best regards.

- Ray -
Ray, the problem is that the next rifle you get could very well be the same. I sent mine back to Rossi and they fixed it. Took about 6 long weeks and Rossi paid for shipping both ways. Mine will now chamber any .357 rounds I throw at it.
Yes, I see your point and the rifle could very well end up going back to Rossi. But as I stated above, Davidson's makes these claims about their "wonderful" warranty and I suspect that if they can't fix it they will send it back to Rossi. We will see...

Thank you for you comments and suggestions.
- Ray -

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."[/b:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I buy from Davidson and they will send you a NIB rifle, unopened, as customers tend not to want them opened. If there are none in stock, they will send it to Rossi and return it to your FFL once it is returned to them. At least this is what I understood from a telephone call I received from a manager over the return process.

Davidson 's is a great place to purchase the firearm from but I do not believe any distributor is going to fix the rifle, voiding the Rossi warranty, they are going to return it. Braztech is the orly authorized service center.

I'm not trying to influence any decision you make but help you understand the situation to avoid frustration. I know you have talked with your FFL bit speak to Davidson's.

Posted via Tapatalk!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Model 52 wrote: In my experience, with guns like Rossi or anything CIA has assembled, you don't save any money over the long term buying them on-line.
+1
Right again !
Truer words were never spoken............but surprisingly hard words to sell despite their overwhelming logic. :mrgreen:
Some things need to be thoroughly checked before you buy em and the preponderance of the evidence clearly indicates that Rossi rifles are clearly in that category.
Learn from the mistakes of others who bought Rossi rifles on line and got screwed.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:I buy from Davidson and they will send you a NIB rifle, unopened, as customers tend not to want them opened. If there are none in stock, they will send it to Rossi and return it to your FFL once it is returned to them. At least this is what I understood from a telephone call I received from a manager over the return process.
Verbal assurances, like verbal checks are only as good as the paper they're written on.
That policy I'd need to see in writing before I bought a Rossi rifle that I hadn't thoroughly inspected from muzzle crown to butt plate and function tested myself.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Must be nice to live in your world with Rossi's in every gun store to select from. Nothing like that here.

Posted via Tapatalk!
Michael
JimBianchi

Post by JimBianchi »

I have had my M92/357 for only two weeks, but I will still put my 2cents in.

The action was very still on mine, but I have owned Rossi guns before (Revolvers) and knew they had to be broken in or sometimes fiddled with a bit to be 100%.

After a year of looking for a Malin 357 (no luck for under $750) I found a NIB M92 for full price ($599 out the door) shot it the next day. 158g 357mag ran OK, but had a few hang-ups, (but also DEAD ON at 50yrds!). These hang ups are common with new levers ( I know a few cowboy action shooters and all have said the guns need to be broken in, even Marlins). 30yrs ago I had 336C that was ammo picky at first, but after a 60 or so rounds fed everything for the next three years. Great gun, wish I still had it.

I read here about doing the action job, but thought I would try the old "polishing paste" trick first. (Fill the action with metal polishing paste and work it a few thousand times.) I also have a dozen snap caps and used those for dry fire practice.

I did all this while watching old Bonanza episodes and three days later (less than 5 hours total time) and 5,000 actions, four cleanings and lots of Break Free, I have to say, it runs as well has my Marlin did.

Don't give up on the Rossi. It is a great gun that will run like a Swiss Watch once broken in.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

JimBianchi wrote: Don't give up on the Rossi. It is a great gun that will run like a Swiss Watch once broken in.
The biggest hurdle to overcome in becoming "Rossi proficient" is to abandon the group concept.
Each Rossi rifle has to be examined as an individual.
Some Rossis will run like a Swiss Watch others are absolute garbage.
At the Rossi factory whatever falls off the assembly line into a box is sent to resellers without a second look or thought.
That's why it is up to us to thoroughly check the rifles out before the plastic or greenbacks hit the sales counter.
If a dealer declines to allow me to inspect the gun the next thing he'll see is the shop door hitting my backside on the way out. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Ranch Dog wrote:Must be nice to live in your world with Rossi's in every gun store to select from. Nothing like that here.

Posted via Tapatalk!

nothing like that in my word either RD
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

I live about 3 miles away from gun shop that stocks 16" and 20" carbine models in blue and stainless in .454, .45 Colt and .357. Of course...I want the color case hardened 20" octagon barrel 52203 as well, but I'll probably have to drive about an hour to find one.

Reading your posts, I don't feel so bad.