Marlin 336 SC .35 Rem - New to me!!

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
RaineWalker

Marlin 336 SC .35 Rem - New to me!!

Post by RaineWalker »

Pickup a Marlin 336 SC in 35 Rem. yesterday at and estate sale. It has a serial Number of GXXX, and was manufactured in 1950. The rifle looks like it could have just come out if the box. The bluing is perfect, and the wood is in great shape except for the forearm that had something impact against it, left a couple of small dents and the wood rough from the strength of the impact. I might be able to lift out out the small dent with and iron and wet towel.

1950 was the year that Marlin first produce the 336 in 35 Rem. A Lyman 56 micrometer sight was installed along with sling swivels. If it was for these additions and the forearm, this would have been a great mint collectors edition. The rifle belong to a gentleman that that had been a POW in World War II, He started collecting weapons when he got back to the US. Has many Military style arms, just got to see a small part of the lower end of the collection that the dealer had. Had a beautiful Savage M-99EG feather weight take-down in 22 Savage High Power.

Raine

Here are the pictures of the Marlin 336
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Marlin 336 SC .35 Rem - New to me!!

Post by Barry in IN »

Very nice! That's my favorite 336 model. With the curved grip and short mag tube, it looks the best to me. And .35 Remington is icing on the cake.
I don't have an SC or .35 Rem, but cruise Gunbroker looking for just such a rifle. Congrats.
Anyone who has not ran the lever on a Marlin from that era is missing out.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Wow! Very, very nice.
Michael
Dan 444
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Dan 444 »

Yep, very nice 35Rem!

Dan
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

What a nice old Marlin SC! And in 35 Rem to boot! Congrats on a nice find. DP
3030man

Post by 3030man »

Of all the calibers that I've worked up loads for, the 35, behind a 200 grain bullet, jacketed or cast, is the easiest of all. Maybe it was just luck, or maybe not, but it's happened with more than one 35, that the first load I tried was the one I ended up staying with. When your first 3 shots cluster into less than 2 inches at 100 yards, no deer that wanders by you and your 35 is going to have a nice day. I heard that Remington isn't going to be making brass or their Coreloct 200 grain bullet any more. That's too bad--especially when it comes to the bullet. I won't cry too much though because the RCBS 200 grain flatnose will shoot every bit as good, and every bit as effectively.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
Congradulations on a nice find ! The 35 Rem is one of those very useful calibers.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

That gun is in great shape.....congrats ! :D

Had a blue Marlin model 336 in 35 Rem made in the 70s with a full length tube magazine.
My nephew has it now.
I wasn't using it & he needed a deer rifle so I gave it to him a few years ago.
It was slick & accurate & has been dropping bucks on a yearly basis.
The JM Marlins were great guns from an era gone by when American gun manufacturers had pride in their products.

My only Marlins now are post Remington takeover Remlin Guide Guns in 45-70 (1 SS & 1 "blue").
Like Rossis, post Cerberus takeover Remlins are now "kit guns" and are often very rough NIB and may have to be partially or completely refurbished before they are shoot-able.
I made sure I got Remlins with good barrels & actions.........some of the other choices on the rack were unrepairable junk.
The w/m fit on my Remlin 1895GS wasn't the greatest but it had the best barrel & action of the SS models I inspected & after the tune-up is dead-on accurate & very slick.

When you're picking a "kit gun" like a Rossi or a Remlin off the rack steel trumps wood cause wood (butt stock & forearm) is a lot easier to fix.
You always pick the gun with the best steel (action & barrel).
Wood problems are much easier to fix later.
It the gun has a bad action or barrel it's an automatic reject regardless of the condition of the wood.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I am so invious I love that caliber
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Dan 444
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Dan 444 »

RaineWalker,

You gonna handload for it?

Dan