Rossi M92 45 Colt

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
eudyta63

Rossi M92 45 Colt

Post by eudyta63 »

New to the forum and new to the Rossi Leverguns.I just picked up a new M92 in 45 Colt,blued with the 16 inch barrel.I like the feel of this rifle.It looks pretty good and the action seems pretty smooth,well alot better than a new Marlin 336 I just got.The only thing that I really have an issue with right now is the cartridge stop.Some times it will not release a round from the mag tube.It does not do it every time,but enough something ain't quite right.Now the rounds that come out so far have feed fine.When the cartridge stop hangs up I can take a small screw driver and push the stop and a round pops out.I cleaned the rifle or at least think I did.It did have some black looking grease in it and it appears to be gone.The mag tube had alot of rusty crud in it.The cartridge stop seems to move freely.Any thoughts or idea?I really don't want to have to send this thing back.Thanks for any info.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rossi M92 45 Colt

Post by Ranch Dog »

eudyta63 wrote:New to the forum and new to the Rossi Leverguns.I just picked up a new M92 in 45 Colt,blued with the 16 inch barrel.I like the feel of this rifle.It looks pretty good and the action seems pretty smooth,well alot better than a new Marlin 336 I just got.The only thing that I really have an issue with right now is the cartridge stop.Some times it will not release a round from the mag tube.It does not do it every time,but enough something ain't quite right.Now the rounds that come out so far have feed fine.When the cartridge stop hangs up I can take a small screw driver and push the stop and a round pops out.I cleaned the rifle or at least think I did.It did have some black looking grease in it and it appears to be gone.The mag tube had alot of rusty crud in it.The cartridge stop seems to move freely.Any thoughts or idea?I really don't want to have to send this thing back.Thanks for any info.
It might be the carrier. I have been working this very issue with my on my 454 Casull. It will be a bit but I will come back and describe what I have found.
Michael
eudyta63

Post by eudyta63 »

Looking forward to any info.I really like this rifle and want it to be reliable.Thank you for your time.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

eudyta63 wrote:The only thing that I really have an issue with right now is the cartridge stop.Some times it will not release a round from the mag tube.It does not do it every time,but enough something ain't quite right.Now the rounds that come out so far have feed fine.When the cartridge stop hangs up I can take a small screw driver and push the stop and a round pops out.I cleaned the rifle or at least think I did.It did have some black looking grease in it and it appears to be gone.The mag tube had alot of rusty crud in it.The cartridge stop seems to move freely.Any thoughts or idea
I'm working on a post with images for the DIY Gunsmithing Forum but it is taking some time as I work through issues that I feel are directly related to the issues you are experiencing. I though I would hit on the Cartridge Stop first as you mentioned it as a concern but offhand I think it might be the Carrier as it is what controls the function of the Cartridge Stop. I've include the parts drawing and parts list so that there is no mistake in what we are discussing.

[hr][/hr]Cartridge Guide Left and Cartridge Stop
Cartridge_Guide_Left_Stop.jpg
  • 44 - Cartridge Guide Left
  • 45 - Cartridge Stop
  • 46 - Cartridge Stop Joint Pin
  • 47 - Cartridge Stop Spring
  • 49 - Cartridge Guide Screw
[hr][/hr]
The Cartridge Stop which is held in place via a pin (46) to the Cartridge Guide Left are parts manipulated by the carrier. The action of the Stop is quite important but simple. If you can reach in with the tip of a flat blade screw driver and flex it forward and it springs back, it's operating freely. If not, there is a chance that the Stop Spring is broken or fowled.

The Cartridge Stop Left assembly is removed after the receiver is broken down. As the Guide Screw is removed from the left side of the receiver, care must be taken not to loose the Stop Spring and Stop Joint Pin as these are loose parts. The Joint Pin is not not a loose fit but it also is not a solid fit. Once the parts are out, the channel inside the receiver that is the Cartridge Guide's recess can be cleaned and inspected for burrs. The Guide Left and Cartridge Stop can be assembled outside the receiver and inspected for movement. It is important that it looks like this prior to being reinstalled!
gs13.jpg
I hold the assembly with large tweezers out in the open area of the receiver and place a punch through the Guide Screw hole. From there, I thread the parts onto the punch and then release the tweezers as spring tension will hold the assembly together. With my "pinky", I slide the assembly into it's recess.
gs14.jpg
It is very important that the spring stay in the groove within the Cartridge Guide and not be allowed to move aft. I've tried many ways of doing it and this has been the best for me. Also, insure that the Joint pin remains flush as you tighten the Guide Screw. If it has moved out of place, the Cartridge Guide cannot move into it's recess and the bolt will not slide forward during assembly.
[hr][/hr][hr][/hr]
My R92 chambered in 454 Casull had some feed issues with full overall length cartridges using Wide Flat Nose bullets. I will detail this issue in a subsequent post as the Cartridge Guides needed to be dressed but during the work I discovered a significant problem with the carrier binding against the receiver.

The nose and right edge of the carrier made full contact with the receiver. The contact was causing the need for significant force to move the lever to actuate the carrier. When the carrier broke free of the bind, it moved with such force that it flipped the cartridge right out of the rifle!
carrier_01.jpg
This picture is taken after at least a dozen fittings and I wish I had taken a picture of it prior to starting work. In the picture you can see that the right edge is still in full contact with the right side of the receiver. The nose was the same but I finally have it relieved just off of contact. I truly do not know how the carrier was assembled into the rifle? I had to use a punch to remove it as it was in an unbelievable bind.
[hr][/hr]
Carrier
Carrier.jpg
  • 39 - Carrier
  • 40 - Carrier Stop
  • 41 - Carrier Stop Spring
  • 42 - Carrier Stop Pin
  • 43 - Carrier Screw (2)
[hr][/hr]
What is not shown in the parts drawing are the elliptical cuts in the left side of the receiver that limit movement of the Carrier through the Carrier Stop behind the action of the Carrier Stop Spring.
carrier_02.jpg
The edges of the these cuts where very rough on my rifle and I had to smooth them with a Dremel tool. This is an important check as the Carrier Stop must not need to overcome any other obstacle as it moves in or out of the cut.

Speaking of the Stop, Iit also should be noted that the action of the spring causes some left/right yawing of the nose of the Carrier. While the Stop is at rest in a recess (the elliptical cut), the carrier might be at rest free of receiver contact. As the Stop moves out of the recess and the Stop Spring comes under pressure from being collapsed, it forces the Carrier to the right and possibly against the inside wall of the receiver. This fit, to ensure it remains clear of contact in movement, can be tedious as it requires the rifle be reassembled. I caution care be taken in the fitting and not remove so much metal that the Carrier can move past the right Cartridge Guide! It doesn't need that much trimming.

To limit the yaw motion, I removed the Carrier Spring and trimmed half a curl of of it. It made a remarkable difference in the pressure applied during movement outside the limiting recesses.

I've almost completed the work. The good thing is that is has taught me how to quickly disassemble a R92 (4 minutes) and reassemble it (6 minutes) without any reference or crutches other than the tweezers for the left Cartridge Guide, with the appropriate punches and screwdrivers. I do not use the dummy cartridge to mate the bolt and lever in the receiver. I do it quickly and effectively by keeping the receiver level without pressure against the lever, only the bolt. I've even done it with my eyes closed out of boredom! This spring I place at taking a detailed look at all my R92s, examining the Carrier fit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Great work R.D. We need these kind of write ups for our forum. To the O.P. When you get into your rifle you will find that there is alot of ruff stuff in there and if done correctly you can get her smooth and functioning correctly.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

This year I would like to put together a very comprehensive post on disassembling and reassembling the R92 taken from the various topics here on the forum. Within that topic will be a PDF document so that it can be downloaded or printed for reference on the bench.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:This year I would like to put together a very comprehensive post on disassembling and reassembling the R92 taken from the various topics here on the forum. Within that topic will be a PDF document so that it can be downloaded or printed for reference on the bench.
Man would that be helpful as it is sometimes tough to figure out from even the Steve Gunz video also.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

joec wrote:Man would that be helpful as it is sometimes tough to figure out from even the Steve Gunz video also.
i have the SG video and the only problem I have with it and the YouTube stuff is that it is not handy for me to work with. I do not have the ability to play them where I'm working and with all the punches and pins, etc., I do not have the time to stop and restart a video. Much easier to have something to read sitting on the table IMO.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
joec wrote:Man would that be helpful as it is sometimes tough to figure out from even the Steve Gunz video also.
i have the SG video and the only problem I have with it and the YouTube stuff is that it is not handy for me to work with. I do not have the ability to play them where I'm working and with all the punches and pins, etc., I do not have the time to stop and restart a video. Much easier to have something to read sitting on the table IMO.
It's not unheard of to have an WIFI internet capable laptop at a work bench & replay the "YouTube stuff" whenever you need a quick reference.........I do it all the time.
Can't imagine anything handier than that.
I'd rather replay a video a dozen times until I have the correct procedure firmly imbedded in the grey matter between my ears than risk making a boo-boo & removing too much metal ruining a gun receiver or a part that takes weeks and months waiting time to order in and replace.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

When you have both hands occupied and holding a light with your teeth, it is very hard to hit replay.
Michael