Hello from the East of England (UK)

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Buckshot Burl

Hello from the East of England (UK)

Post by Buckshot Burl »

Hi

Thanks for adding me to the forum. I live in East Anglia and am now retired. I went to School in the USA (Westbury jnr High on LI) and worked for/with US companies throughout my working life.

I have just added a Rossi Puma 20" Stainless in .357 to my Henry Big Boy and these with my Uberti 1858 BP 45s in 5 and 8 inch ML revolvers plus a nitro converted 45 Uberti Cattleman and another Pietta competition 1858 in .36 and finally a side by side period handmade shotgun are my CAS kit. my rigs were custom made in Portugal and my clothing is largely from the US. CAS is difficult to get into in the UK with very few events but some progress in being made locally. Because we are not able to use cartridge revolvers we use Muzzle Loading Black Powder revolvers. I reload all the calibres I shoot including 300 winmag, 6.5 CM. .223 and .357. I am about to start making 38 spl which I will use in the Rossi along with 357. I am currently undertaking load development for the Rossi.

I am in the process of slicking up the Rossi and the wealth of information on line has been an enormous help. A great difficulty for me is getting access to all the custom parts that are available, few US outlets will ship to the UK, Brownells do but have a typical 12 week lead time and apply a large markup. The German source in Europe has stopped shipping to the UK now so its quite a challenge.

Thanks for admitting me and I appreciate the generosity of members sharing information, which I find very useful.

Regards
Deleted User 5571

Re: Hello from the East of England (UK)

Post by Deleted User 5571 »

Welcome, you have a great collection and you'll love that rossi .357.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Welcome aboard! Great collection! Good luck with parts acquisition. It’s no party in the States, but I’m sure much more difficult for y’all.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Welcome from the hill country in Arkansas. You've stocked your armory very well. And I've no doubt that you'll enjoy shooting your 92.
Bazoo

Post by Bazoo »

Howdy from the commonwealth of Kentucky.

I appreciate you sharing a bit about your country and gun laws. What did you mean nitro converted 45 Uberti Cattleman? Is that a cartridge revolver that's been converted with a percussion cylinder?

Congratulations on the 92... those things are fun as heck, and fast. My buddy used to have one and we could burn through a couple boxes of 38s in no time. I don't have a Rossis currently but I do have a Winchester 92. Mines a rifle, in 44 Magnum. It's a bit less convenient for moving around, but holds steady on target with the extra forward weight.
Cataloging the world's bullets.
Buckshot Burl

Post by Buckshot Burl »

Hi,

In the UK we use Muzzle Loading Revolvers, black powder cap and ball revolvers as no short cartridge revolvers (or other hand guns) are allowed. You can have a Long Barrelled Revolver, which is classed as a rifle like the buntline revolvers, there is a minimum length overall that must be observed and cannot be reduced.

Instead of black powder and percussion caps, you can convert the black powder revolvers to use modern smokeless powder, usually changing the cap nipples to a shotgun primer nipple at the same time. This is a gunsmith modification that is proofed which reinforces the chambers and modifies the firing pin.

Some people do use smokeless powder in a black powder MLR with caps (which they should not) but you must be very careful as the load is tiny and easy to mistake and overfill, which results in a big bang and no more gun.

I'm just getting to grips with my Rossi, its much faster than the Henry but not so good for build quality. Cant believe how many burrs were left from manufacture.

Just looking to order a new ejector spring and follower, also want to add skinner peep sights as I have on my Henry.

nice to hear from you, thanks for the question.
Bazoo

Post by Bazoo »

Thanks for the detailed answer. I didn't know that any handguns were allowed there. I'd love to see pictures of your/a handgun and the way the conversion is done.
Cataloging the world's bullets.
Buckshot Burl

Post by Buckshot Burl »

Hi, I will post some pictures later in the week. Meanwhile take a look here https://www.henrykrank.com/ this is a supplier in the UK and you can see some of the various Muzzle Loading Revolvers, Pistols and rifles that we can licence here in the UK. I have Product Code cat00097, cat00166 and cat00181 which has been converted to smokeless powder and shotgun primers. Also take a peek at cat00518 and the other buntline cartridge long barrelled revolvers which we can also licence.
Regards
BS