My meager collection

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
LittleBill

My meager collection

Post by LittleBill »

As an addendum to my intro post, my Rossi.
16" blued model that Ive completely disassembled and smoothed the action and all associated parts inside, smoothed the loading port, worked the trigger and sear, narrowed the loading gate cover "spring", hand lapped the bore with a lead slug(s), removed and stripped the wood restained it and refinished with tru-oil. Changed out the main and ejector springs, added a SS follower, modified the rear buckhorn and added a Dawson FO front. Finally I lightly polished all the blued metal with a light touch of Flitz. I havent changed the mag spring yet, I have a new SS one but didnt install it yet because the original is performing fine so far. I did trim it a little but probably not as much as most do.
Ive only had this sweetie for about 5 months and already put well over 4000 rds through it and other than a few 357 rounds that I loaded a bit long with a marginal bullet Ive not had a single issue with this great little trapper. I mean Im really impressed by it. Accuracy is simply outstanding with just about everything Ive loaded. Granted, the loads mostly are known(to me) to be pretty accurate in most firearms and performed just as good in the rossi. I was a bit hesitant to wager my money on a rossi and Ive been kicking myself in the butt now for now doing it sooner re: cheaper.
To top all of this off this sample will hold 9 rounds of 357 in the tube and 1 chambered, so 10 rds of 357 loaded with a 165gr SWCGC and 14.5gr of LilGun, talk about a potent, potent little, light package.... I cant help but liking it alot.
In fact I like it enough to buy another rossi, this time a 20" in 454Casull and I can only hope it is as nice as this one has proven to be.

Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: My meager collection

Post by Gunny268 »

Your post kind of reminds me of an old saying. "Beware the cowboy that shoots only one gun. For he probably shoots it very well!"
jstanfield103

Post by jstanfield103 »

Nice looking rifle. I would like to see the Buckhorn modification. Also how did she shoot before the lapping?
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

I actually just flat topped the buckhorn, before I knew it was a thing. I didnt know so many others did it too. It just seemed like an easy way to make it a little less obtrusive and more usable and familiar at the same time.
As for the bore lapping, it shot ok before but it did get pretty filthy because of the the tooling chatter but afterwards it instantly became far easier to clean, and a little more accurate Id say. The thing literally shoots everything good if not great, and I shoot offhand standing with it the majority of the time. Its just so light and balanced and pointable its too easy to be both fast and accurate with it. I ll get out the Henry and try to do the things I do with the Rossi and it aint happening. Very fun gun.
cavelamb

Post by cavelamb »

This is my wife's rifle - R92-357

I flat topped the rear sight for her, so this is a modified Rossi sight.
Mine is a marble's buckhorn that I also truncated.
NRA Pistol Instructor, Metallic Cartridge Instructor, Range Safety Officer
2dollarbill

Post by 2dollarbill »

Nice! Bang Bang
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Y'all's modified rear sights look like my factory one.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
barracudadave67

Post by barracudadave67 »

LittleBiil
A collection of one (1), ??.
I like it.
Dave
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

Ill add the 454 next week tho.👍
Bazoo

Post by Bazoo »

Very nice work on both the metal and the wood. That's probably the best looking stock I've ever seen on a Rossi, very classy.

I didn't know flat topping the rear sight was a thing. I know I don't care for the Rossis rear sight.. but I couldn't put my finger (or my eye) on exactly why. I do like semi-buckhorn sights such as the one on my new manufactured Wincehster 92, or the Marbles with the white diamond insert (reversed so its all black) I have on my Winchester 94.
Cataloging the world's bullets.