Rossi 44 Magnum Revolver

Rossi's classic designs for home and self defense, hunting, or range work.
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Rossi 44 Magnum Revolver

Post by ironhead7544 »

Academy Sports has a 2 and 1/2 inch barreled 5 shot revolver listed. Looks like a Taurus. Has a dovetailed front sight so you can adjust for windage. They were on sale for $269.00 but I missed it. Anyone get one? They are listed at $369.00.

Speer makes a nice short barrel load for 44 Mag. 200 gr Gold Dot at 1000 fps or so.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rossi 44 Magnum Revolver

Post by Ranch Dog »

Hate to run you over to another forum but the are several topics concerning the Academy revolver on TaurusArmed.net. I actually have one, not the Academy piece but a earlier Talo version of the revolver sold through Davidison's, the only difference being that the Talo was spec'd with a stainless steel finish. It is an impressive revolver.

These handguns are imported from Brazil with 4" barrels due to import restrictions and then cut down to the 2 1/2" at the Braztec facility in FL. It is a heck of a self defense weapon. The people at the range next to you will know you are shooting something different! The Academy deal was a good one and the regular price is great compared to the near $500 tag of the SS offering.
Michael
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Ranch Dog: Thanks for the info. Will check it out over there. Had a 4 inch 44 Mag tracker I really liked but this one apeals to me because it is a tad smaller with fixed sights.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I have similar Taurus revolvers in 357 Mag, 41 Mag, and 45 Colt. I've had a real tough time warming up to CC with a revolver because of the need to reload in SD shooting. Based on my experience, 5 or 6 shots are not enough as trouble comes in pairs, triples, and quads. I carry a couple of different 6 shot semi-autos but always have two spare magazines (no matter what the capacity of the pistol is). I've been caught in a shooting where I only had six cartridges and it will never, never, ever happen again.

I've done the speed loader thing and have custom speed loader pouches but the entire action of reloading, despite training with it, has been a deal breaker for me. I've actually have considered selling my brace of Taurus CC revolvers as I'm not sold on revolvers for CC or home defense. Considered it but not sold on the idea of selling as I hate selling guns. I have this picture in another topic but here are my Taurus CC revolvers.

Besides the speed loader pouches, I have not been able to find paddle or slide, leather or synthetic, cc holsters that actually fit any of these pistols. Some are close but not quite right. I've spent hundreds of dollars, in some cases as much as I spent on the handgun, on this venture but fortunately I buy from sources that allow returns.

None of my personal comments should take away from the handguns themselves or your consideration of them. This is personal stuff that I'm working through when considering CC. I have shot the heck out of them on the range and they are impressive in performance and accuracy!
Michael
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

I have been using the IWB from Andrews Custom Leather for many years. He makes them for any handgun. Also has the outside type and I can recommend the saddle holster. Not cheap but worth the money. The one I have for my G26 was bought in '97. Still good but could use a touch up on the finish.

I understand what you mean by capacity. When I was working I used a G17 with 2 spare mags and the G26 for backup. With the revolver I like at least 2 cylinders full extra. Back in the day when we used revolvers, I used a six inch Python with 3 speedloaders and a couple of speed strips. That got me the name "Bullets Bob". I always told them that if they need ammo in a fight, dont come to me.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

ironhead7544 wrote:I have been using the IWB from Andrews Custom Leather for many years. He makes them for any handgun. Also has the outside type and I can recommend the saddle holster. Not cheap but worth the money. The one I have for my G26 was bought in '97. Still good but could use a touch up on the finish.

I understand what you mean by capacity. When I was working I used a G17 with 2 spare mags and the G26 for backup. With the revolver I like at least 2 cylinders full extra. Back in the day when we used revolvers, I used a six inch Python with 3 speedloaders and a couple of speed strips. That got me the name "Bullets Bob". I always told them that if they need ammo in a fight, dont come to me.
Thanks for the info. The area of Texas I live in is the "Leather Capitol" of the State, and I have found a fellow that is going to work on it for me but I would rather find someone who works with handguns from the get go. They say that the any S&W K frame holster will fit the 3 larger handguns and a "J" the 605 but they don't. Just slight differences that either make it loose or too tight.

5-Star makes speed loaders for all these handguns and they are really a quality product. I use both their speed loaders and loading blocks. I would prefer to have a molded insert in the pouch to mate with the rounds to reduce rattle.

I also have the Max Fire Speed Loaders but I believe this outfit has closed it's doors as you cannot find them in stock any more. The are a pretty good product and I like the loop rather than the knob on traditional loaders. I can see the loop being a very good thing under stress.

Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

My objection to carry with the MaxFire speed loaders is that I could never find the pouches. I haven't looked in about nine months but durn if I didn't find a place that had them in stock today, through a google search. The appropriate pouches are enroute to TX as I type!

Okay, maybe I can get serious about revolver carry now!

+guns
Michael
exdetsgt

Post by exdetsgt »

D.M. Bullard in Azle, TX makes superb holsters. Most are custom made, run about $85.00. Check him out.
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Did anyone get one of these?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

ironhead7544 wrote:Did anyone get one of these?
My nephew has one and it seem to be his primary carry pistol. He is on the forum but doesn't participate much.
Michael