Newbie reloader

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
OnTarget
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Newbie reloader

Post by OnTarget »

Lee's manual will be my next purchase. Thanks again for all the input!
Just Dave

Post by Just Dave »

I just recently got started myself and after tons of research and comparing I went with the Lee Classic Turret. Has worked great for me so far. I have run about 1700 rounds now and am learning more every time I sit down at it. I have mine set up to do .357,. 30 Carbine and .223. I have around $800.00 bucks tied up in everything Including a Harbor freight bench to put it on. That also includes 4 lbs of powder, 300 bullets, and 3,000 primers. Trimming tools for each caliber and a scale. Plus a lot of other nickel and dime stuff. I have been hoarding Brass for a while already and have not had to buy any of that. Cheapest place i found a decent Kit was here. it comes with one set of dies of your choice . I did the !2 buck Pro auto disk powder measure upgrade because it is Teflon coated. https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?pag ... &Itemid=41

Here's a pic of my humble little set up. It's a work in progress still.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

A work area that clean :shock: .......gotta be a newbie. :D
I forgot what color the wooden top of my work bench is I haven't seen it for so long. :oops:
Junk, dust & half finished projects from one end to the other. :oops:
It's apparent that I like +guns a whole lot more than I like work.........I maximize my range time & narrow work bench time to stuff that needs to be done before I can go to the range. :mrgreen:
Hand loading is a great hobby & a necessary one for some calibers like the 416 Remington Magnum where the factory ammo is well over $100 for a box of 20.
Last edited by pricedo on 09 Dec 2012 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Just Dave

Post by Just Dave »

Patience, the clutter will come. Trust me. I actually straightened it up to take the pic, :roll:
OnTarget
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by OnTarget »

Nice set up, I was also looking at that freight harbor bench for my reloading bench. Is it pretty sturdy?
Just Dave

Post by Just Dave »

I had to screw it to the wall to make it as firm as I wanted it to be. I am a cabinet guy by trade so I used some upgraded fasteners and glue when assembling it. I could not have built this bench from scratch for anywhere near what I paid for this one though. It was on sale for 159 and I had a twenty percent off coupon from the web that I printed so it was like 129 bucks. Dirt cheap if you ask me. The wall cab was a leftover from a job (the depth was wrong) that I have been carrying around for a few years now just looking for a use for it. BTW the Lee manual was the first book I bought as well. Lots of good info in there.
OnTarget
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by OnTarget »

Good to hear on the bench, I was wondering if I could make it myself any cheaper.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Just Dave wrote:I had to screw it to the wall to make it as firm as I wanted it to be. I am a cabinet guy by trade so I used some upgraded fasteners and glue when assembling it. I could not have built this bench from scratch for anywhere near what I paid for this one though. It was on sale for 159 and I had a twenty percent off coupon from the web that I printed so it was like 129 bucks. Dirt cheap if you ask me. The wall cab was a leftover from a job (the depth was wrong) that I have been carrying around for a few years now just looking for a use for it. BTW the Lee manual was the first book I bought as well. Lots of good info in there.
The 49th edition of the Lyman manual is a good book for the cast bullet guys.
A lot of reloading stuff on line.........I only use stuff from the official powder/bullet manufacturers websites.
That Quick Load computer program is a Swiss army knife reloading program with a lot more capability than I first assumed.......some would think it expensive.........I paid about $150 for the full QL suite.
The deeper I dig into the QL user manual the more impressed I become.
I have just about every edition of every major powder/bullet company manual printed.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
OnTarget
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by OnTarget »

Well just ordered my lee challenger press, lee reloading manual, set of carbide 44 mag dies and a case length gauge. Very excited to get it here. I am sure you all probably know this but the reloading supplies are pretty sparse right now. Got all of my stuff from Natchez. All that for $181 shipped.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

You've gotta keep your eyes open.
Found 3 boxes of Nosler Partition 400 grain bullets for my customized Model 700 416 Remington Magnum at a good price & picked them up.
Reloading supplies are scarce these days.
Hope Obama/Holder/Feinstein/Pelosi/Schumer & the Capital Hill anti-gun gang aren't planning any nonsense to exacerbate the situation. :evil:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA