How Many 480 Ruger 92s

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: How Many 480 Ruger 92s

Post by akuser47 »

Let me be the first to say, if ok with our boss here If someone does locate one for sale maybe link it and spread the word for those hunting for it! So If we are lucky maybe some can find one with us that search for these things. :D
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I have my hooks in the water on gun broker but nothing yet. Probably a good thing as the timing couldn't be worse. Her car cracked a head and my pickup had to get a new clutch, all in a matter of one months time. I bring a 454 home now I'll end up wearing it! :eek:

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Trailboss »

I feel fortunate to have found a new old stock M92/480 at a Portland Expo gun show this past year. The action wasn't bad but I cleaned it up anyway and it's a tack driver. Course, with a bigger hammer maybe it's easier to hit the tack. :lol:

I was surprised the recoil was so managable and I really enjoy hearing the thump when the bullet hits. Sorta like little flying hammers.
Aim small, miss small.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Trailboss wrote:I feel fortunate to have found a new old stock M92/480 at a Portland Expo gun show this past year. The action wasn't bad but I cleaned it up anyway and it's a tack driver. Course, with a bigger hammer maybe it's easier to hit the tack. :lol:

I was surprised the recoil was so managable and I really enjoy hearing the thump when the bullet hits. Sorta like little flying hammers.
Could a R92/45LC or a R92/454 be re-chambered & re-barreled/re-bored to 480 Ruger? :?:
RD converted his 30-30 Rio Grande to 38-55 so maybe this is an angle to explore. :?:
The SAAMI max chamber pressure spec for the 480R is 48K psi & that of the 45LC is 14K psi so you'd probably have to start with a R92/454 to convert to 480R. :?:
I personally wouldn't bother but if your heart is dead set on owning a 92 levergun in 480R it's something to look at. :?:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arktikos wrote:Any idea how many 454 Casull levers Rossi has made?
No, and from experience I would not expect Braztech to be so free with the information.
akuser47 wrote:Let me be the first to say, if ok with our boss here If someone does locate one for sale maybe link it and spread the word for those hunting for it! So If we are lucky maybe some can find one with us that search for these things. :D
Sure, no problem with that but I would suggest that you just buy it. Each that I saw last year had "Buy Now" purchases set up and where gone in a matter of 90 seconds from the initial email being received.
Arktikos wrote:I bring a 454 home now I'll end up wearing it! :eek:
Might need to go ahead a prep a 454 for long term bury and get it in the ground as a 480 Ruger isn't going to look any different. ;) I suspect your 454's might be stainless and the 480 is going to blued, so this isn't going to work...
Trailboss wrote:I feel fortunate to have found a new old stock M92/480 at a Portland Expo gun show this past year. The action wasn't bad but I cleaned it up anyway and it's a tack driver. Course, with a bigger hammer maybe it's easier to hit the tack. :lol:
Very fortunate indeed! I like stories like this where something is pulled out from the back room! I also don't think many know how rare the LSI 480 Rugers are. I own two limited run Marlins, a 35 Remington (336D) and a 45 Colt (1894S) and they are both built as "Guide Guns" and part of a run of 500. You see the "D" once in a while but I have never seen the "S". Perhaps it is because Marlin did not give it a unique letter designation which was unusual. Any "S" does demand a pretty good penny as there you find half of the 41 Mags and the only 45 Colts that are not "cowboys". I also had an early H&R/NEF Handi that was chambered in 444 Marlin. This pre-Marlin involvement in the company. They where a run of 500 through Gander Mountain.
Trailboss wrote:I was surprised the recoil was so managable and I really enjoy hearing the thump when the bullet hits. Sorta like little flying hammers.
The recoil is not bad at all, a lot better than my 92s chambered in 44 Mag and 45 Colt. In the coming year I will install a grid to fit Pachmayer Decelerator on the rifle. The bullets do make a funny noise down range don't they! My hunters know when I've shot at something. I made them all laugh right before Thanksgiving. I was in a tower blind and had watched a huge sounder of young boars working the sides of a sendero, a seismic line. I was deer hunting so after quitting time and getting out of the tower, I thought I might as well wade into the hogs. It took me a while to get down there and as typical in the dark they were not too concerned with you walking into them as long as they don't whiff you. It was dark down there, zero illumination, so I moved in real close. Kind of weird being with 15' to 20' of 12 to 13 160# boars. I kept turning my rifle up above the horizon and over town 10 miles distance to find the crosshairs as there was a dome of illumination over town against the clouds. I'd bring it back down but loose the sight picture (no, any other non-lighted sight system would not have helped). Finally, I had one with a "light" face, probably dried mud, look at me and I could see his facial features fill the scope tube so I shot him. It was now about 45 minutes after dark and as still as it gets. It even surprised me how loud the shot was. When I got back to camp, I was about 3/4 a mile away, my hunters where all laughing about the noise. They said it was more of a concussion than a noise, you actually felt it. Also, my 375 grain bullet striking the hog was as loud as the shot. They said I need to put wheels on it.
pricedo wrote:Could a R92/45LC or a R92/454 be re-chambered & re-barreled/re-bored to 480 Ruger? :?
Only the 454 would work as I assume they use the same barrel stock and would have the larger magazine tube. I'm a great tinkerer but don't think I would mess with the 454 as hard as they are too find.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Agreed.
I think the 454 is a much better choice anyway because of the availability of factory ammo & components.
I would grab a 92/480R if it turned up on a rack but it's certainly not a driving obsession.
Braztech should expand their operation (good opportunity to build a factory in the USA :D ) ..............they're obviously not keeping up with demand.
Best little overland carbine ever made bar none.
4.8 pounds (16" Trapper 92) with almost the power of a much heavier Guide Gun...........what's not to like.
Not the first gun I'd pick out of my gun safe for the Great Bears but it would definitely do the job especially in the company of a revolver like the Ruger Super Redhawk that chambered the same ammo.
Wish Braztech would make a Takedown model 92 & a 86 or 71 clone for half the price of the Italian or Turnbull offerings.
Love my Pedersoli 86/71 (superb rifle) but the bloody thing cost me an arm & a leg.

**I'd rather see American companies making these products or for Braztech to build a factory in the USA but it is what it is.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

There is a stainless 480 for sale on ARMSLIST, I swapped a couple of emails with the seller a few days ago. I've decided I don't need it (or a new caliber).

http://www.armslist.com/posts/672769/co ... -480-ruger
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

There you go guys, somebody please buy it! I know the ad says face to face but I sure would see if I could make it worth the shipping to my FFL. That is a great price considering the accessories. Hmmm, nice list of possible trades.

Pricedo, you know you really want that stainless 480 to pair up your big bore 92 collection! :twisted:
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:There you go guys, somebody please buy it! I know the ad says face to face but I sure would see if I could make it worth the shipping to my FFL. That is a great price considering the accessories. Hmmm, nice list of possible trades.

Pricedo, you know you really want that stainless 480 to pair up your big bore 92 collection! :twisted:
Excellent price for a SS model M92/480R, set of dies & other accessories thrown in.
Great outdoors work/play survival gun.

That add is a piece of history.
The for sale bulletin was posted Monday, November 26, 2012.
This is Thursday, November 29, 2012 .........LATE PM.
Without a doubt that gun is home with its new owner right now.
Maybe he/she will join Rossi Rifleman soon.

I'm still in domestic damage control mode from the Browning BLR 450 Marlin purchase. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I see no sense in Rossi NOT making more 454 Casull levers since the demand is obviously there. I am confident that they are going to come to their senses just about the time I am ready to buy and it will be a great day for sure! Shoot 45 Colts through it or load for bear.. What's not to like about that kind of versatility? :mrgreen: I'm sure the 480 is a fine gun too, but being a 45 nut there really is only one choice for me.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!