357 OAL

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
MT Gianni

357 OAL

Post by MT Gianni »

I am finding out what my 92 357 likes with over all length. It doesn't feed a 358429 or a 180 fn from an old group buy. I did not have the foresight to buy a 175 rd mold. A 358156 is also too long in 357 brass. Loaded in 38 special brass it feeds like pouring water out of a boot. [1.52" oal] The 180 fn does so as well. It looks like I will be trimming some brass and dedicating it for this gun or is there a better solution?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 357 OAL

Post by Ranch Dog »

MT Gianni wrote:I am finding out what my 92 357 likes with over all length. It doesn't feed a 358429 or a 180 fn from an old group buy. I did not have the foresight to buy a 175 rd mold. A 358156 is also too long in 357 brass. Loaded in 38 special brass it feeds like pouring water out of a boot. [1.52" oal] The 180 fn does so as well. It looks like I will be trimming some brass and dedicating it for this gun or is there a better solution?
Another important aspect of positive cartridge cycling is bullet diameter. From slugging my two R92s chambered in 357 Mag, I see a .355" groove so I size both of my TLC359s to .357". This has a positive effect out cartridge feed.
Michael
MT Gianni

Post by MT Gianni »

Thanks Michael, I have .358 & .359 dies and I know that this one will need to be slugged and I might need a new sizer die. That is good info.
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

MT Gianni wrote:Thanks Michael, I have .358 & .359 dies and I know that this one will need to be slugged and I might need a new sizer die. That is good info.
MT please post your slug diameter, mine slugged right at 357 and I'm finding same feed issues with same molds. What I HAVE found is if crimped over forward driving band they do feed but no idea how they shoot yet. Going to try some Lee 125's next week in a mock up shell.

Knew I shoulda bought one each of RD's and BRP's molds when I could...

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
MT Gianni

Post by MT Gianni »

I worked out of town this week but mine slugged @ .355". Even if I considered it a "tight mike" I have some issues that are easier solved than if it ran .362". I need to resize some boolits to .356 and see what happens. My slug was a .375 rb that I ran through a .359 sizer die then pushed down a lubed bore. It went with only hand pressure until I hit the bore where it cleared with a light tap. I may have some thread constriction but will shoot it some more and see what happens.
MT Gianni

Post by MT Gianni »

Mine appears to be a length issue as it feeds 3358156 seated in the second crimp groove to the top like they were made for it. [38 special cases]. It does not want to extract cases of any load easily so I will have some extracter filing to take care of as well.
outfishing13

Post by outfishing13 »

MT,

I also have a 92 357 Mag. I found that if I loaded an OAL over 1.575 I have loading issues. I cast a Lee 125gr RF in the 6 cavity mold for my 357 rounds and for 38 Specials as well. OAL length is right around 1.550 - 1.560 for the 357 and the load very well. I haven't tried the 158 gr mold yet, but eventually I will get one.

The bottom line for me though is keeping the OAL length of the 357 below 1.570 and then the bullet loads fine. Any longer and it seems to jam up as the tip of the bullet enters the chamber.

Matthew
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

Guys I haven't had a chance to shoot at paper yet, but my Rossi got the Steves Gunz treatment this weekend. Of worthy note if that getting rid of the ultra stiff ejector spring has cured a LOT of feeding issues. If you're going to take one of these apart note that the bling hole plug for the bolt stop pin CAN be tightened too hard and cause lockups.

I used Steves mag follower, cut down the mag spring, replaced the hammer spring, trigger spring, and lever lock spring (Lee's Gunsmithing Gunslinger kit from brownells) but didn't think his ejector spring was correct so I used Steves spring for that and just polished a few rough spots. WORLD of difference in all areas of cycling. That video was well worth the money. The worst part is getting the bolt back in with the ejector and then getting the finger lever and locking lugs lined back up. Fingers are a bit sore from that but MAN does it run slick now.

Going to try some Lee 125 grainers I've got cast up -- got a new six banger mold and Lee has REALLY improved these, I'm actually impressed with it. I also am now able to load and fire with no feeding issue the Lyman 358311 HP bullets I've cast and have a new 135 grain mold coming from Accurate Molds.

...............about the worst part was replacing the sights without marring up the gun but I got that done too, sure hope I guessed right.................

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt