Henry's new 41 mag

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
triggerpull

Re: Henry's new 41 mag

Post by triggerpull »

Temperature here sky-rocketed from below zero to nearly 50 degrees--so I went out to try the new 41 mag Henry again. This involved hiking in to a shooting pit--which instead of being 2 feet in snow just a day later is now a mud bog.

My scope mount and scope won't be in til next week--and I already had a ladder of hand-loads ready to test. Due to poor eyesight I can't use irons normally--but I thought maybe if I got fairly close maybe I could get OK results. So I set my targets up at 50 yds and was shooting off a hunter's stool and shooting stick.

Unfortunately most of the shots were probably wasted, but this one group--a warm 22.7 grs of H110 driving a 210 xtp--is pretty decent, but I honestly had no idea where the bullets were landing while I was taking the shots.

Th trigger is a tad on the heavy pull side for my taste--maybe that will improve as the gun wears in--I don't know. But even with a warmish load the gun recoils very nicely with no muzzle flip and moderate felt recoil.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Looks good to me, thanks for the report and braving the elements!
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Ranch Dog wrote:Got a notice from Davidson's that the 41 Mag was in stock and within the minute, just the time for the link to login, there were none. That is pretty much my history with Davidson.

I bought another gun yesterday so the itch has been scratched.
It will return.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
I figured the first batch would be ripped apart by the shark frenzy.
But there is a very old saying down here " Never be first, never be last"... That is how I am viewing these 41's. But then I have a nice Marlin 41 sitting in storage.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Got mine sorted out finally, gonna try to get some test loads done today if the temperatures get out of the teens.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Dropped my Savage 10FCM 308 Win off at the gunsmith to have the barrel recrowned today. This is the place that said that they would try to get me Henry 41 Mag. I told them not to worry it as the itch had passed and they said that was fine as they are so far down the list that they weren't sure when they would get it. I told them that I have more rifles than I can possibly shoot so not to worry about it.
Michael
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Went by the shop I bought mine from--they have another one on display and said so far nobody is biting. Go figure. Here's my first attempt at 100 yds with nosler 210 SH driven by W296. It was in the 20's--I don't know if it was the barrel or the powder--but I was getting groups that started wide but tightened with each successive shot. This is about the best I could manage:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The rifle and scope does look real good and the shooting is real good as well.

Yeah, the shop said the place a large order and they never know what they are going to get or when. I was hoping that they just had a Blue Steel of any flavor so I could handle it but it seems they are hard to get in this area as well. They had three "yellow" Henrys but they have never held any interest for me so I didn't ask to see one.

It might just be the area. It is tough to find any levergun in a shop here. I rarely would see a Marlin or Winchester in the last 20 years and those had usually been ordered in for someone. Wal-Mart always had the 336 30-30 Win so that was about it.
Michael
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Thanks for that. To be honest--my 16" rossi 44 mag carbine can shoot MOA or a bit less if I'm really on--so I was expecting markedly better results--but I'm giving the "break-in" and cold temps the benefit of the doubt--for now. : )
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Hey trigger, now that you are a 41 Mag rifle loader & shooter you ought to consider getting a Lee 41 Mag Rifle Style Collet Die.

When I was in the bullet mold business my interest in these short straight wall cartridges for rifle use made me pine for the standard Lee Factory Crimp Die, the collet based die for rifle cartridges. I approached lee and they were a bit neutral on the idea worrying that they shorter collet would only last 125,000 cycles. My thought was who cares in that would be 5 completed cartridges for a penny and a majority of handloaders will not load that level of ammunition in their lifetime. They still were not too excited so I shoved them over the edge by ordering hundreds of them. They have kept them as a cataloged items and added a few more. I even special ordered them for my 454 Casull & 480 Ruger R92s.
Michael