Henry's new 41 mag

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
triggerpull

Henry's new 41 mag

Post by triggerpull »

Sorry I haven't been around for a while guys--too busy yada yada--but I know many of you have been lusting after a good lever gun in 41 mag for years--as I have--and this morning my dreams and prayers were answered when a friend at the LGS called and said "Guess what just came through the door!"

So here, ladies and gentlemen, for your viewing pleasure, is my newest lever--and she's a beauty!

Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Henry's new 41 mag

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Nice! Had a chance to shoot it yet?

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Literally bought it hours ago and just finished cleaning and familiarizing myself with it. I live up in Maine and we're in full-on winter mode--so getting out to shoot means a minor expedition through deep snow in very cold conditions--but I'll try to get out some time next week (another storm going to hit this weekend). I'll post results. : )
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Can I ask which LGS you got it at and what you paid for it?
Michael
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Ranch Dog wrote:Can I ask which LGS you got it at and what you paid for it?
It was in Maine--but it really doesn't make much difference (they told me it was the only one they could get)--the only reason I was able to get one this early was because Lipsey's got a "special pre-release demo batch" of pre-production rifles. One other guy in a different part of the country told me he got one too. I did not know this at the time I bought it--I simply called Henry yesterday to get some tech info and that's when they told me that I was very lucky to get one since they were still ramping up "regular production." The guy at the store was so unfamiliar with the gun he didn't even know what they should charge for it (they actually are a "premium priced" store that often charges at or above manufacturer's MSRP) and when I asked how much he said he didn't know--but I made an offer on the spot that if it was not over the MSRP of $850 I'd take it--so I ended up paying $810. I suspect that when the "main release" of production rifles hits the streets in the next month or so (when I first got word of the new rifle I was told they would be vailable at the retail level by April, but the Henry guy told me yesterday that it would be sooner than that). I suspect in the next 30 days or so they will hit "main release" numbers and prices--but that's just a guess--but if it's anything like other new releases I suspect it will be found initially for somewhere around $700 or so.

But here's the thing, though I have not confirmed this with Henry, this will likely end up being a "limited edition" release IMO since the 41 mag mainly appeals to a select group of shooters--mostly hand-loaders--so I don't think the numbers and availability will be like other caliber offerings.

I hit paydirt because I called a whole lot of different shops knowing that some of them deal with a whole lot of different distributors--some GS's have more pull with their distributor pool than others--so I told every one of the shops I talked to that I wanted one bad and would even pay a deposit pre-release to guarantee the gun if the distributor would accept it--I have heard this has worked in other parts of the country. I was very surprised when my friend at my LGS called and said one actually was just delivered to them.

Hope my explanation makes some sense. : )
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeap, all makes sense and I appreciate the information. Looking forward to the shooting reports!
Michael
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Ranch Dog wrote:Yeap, all makes sense and I appreciate the information. Looking forward to the shooting reports!
me too! ; )
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Nice!!!!
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

There is a couple of them on GunBroker & I'm having a tough time not going for one of them. I got to learn that I have more than I can shoot plus I have the Marlin 1894FG.
Michael
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Ranch Dog wrote:There is a couple of them on GunBroker & I'm having a tough time not going for one of them. I got to learn that I have more than I can shoot plus I have the Marlin 1894FG.
I understand what you're saying--it's code for "please talk me into this." LOL

Well, It's magnificently built--head and shoulders above any Rossi or Marlin I've seen out there--and what the heck--it's bound to be worth something as a collector's item since it likely will never achieve the popularity of other calibers. Even the sights look far more precise than other stock buckhorns I've seen. Pre-drilled and tapped for for a peep or scope mount right above the chamber--and since it's tube-loaded and side-ejection no worries of getting a scope or peep near the trigger. The action is modified from their 44 mag--robust and can take pressures rated to 44+p levels.

You know you'll be kicking yourself later if you don't get one! ; )