Puma model 92 454 Cal.

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Harry Snippe

Puma model 92 454 Cal.

Post by Harry Snippe »

I have a chance at a 20" Puma model 92 in 454 Cal.
The rifle is offered as in excellent shape still in the box .

I asume I could fire 45 Colt as well as 454 cartridges in this gun as we do with the 357 and 38 Spl chambered guns

I have read that the mag tube had a habit of coming loose and walking out of place .
There were many ways shooters were addressing this problem, and wonder if there was a final repair before Rossi threaded the tube intothe reciever .

This concern would probably be the deal breaker on this gun , otherwise I see it as a great compact rifle to ride a ATV on a moose and bear hunt .

Thank you-all in advance for any help
Happy
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Puma model 92 454 Cal.

Post by Ranch Dog »

Harry Snippe wrote:I have read that the mag tube had a habit of coming loose and walking out of place. There were many ways shooters were addressing this problem, and wonder if there was a final repair before Rossi threaded the tube into the reciever.

Interesting, any fix?
Michael
Harry Snippe

Post by Harry Snippe »

Any fix ?
That was my Question . AS Any repair then would be on my nickle .
I read about the problem on another forum but never followed up since I did not think I would have a chance on one of these guns .Guess the set screw or something was breaking under fire, and the tube would walk out past the barrel .
Now the Rossi section has been discontinued on this forum .

Read on the web that Rossi now threads the Mag tube into the reciever .

I am still trying to do some research on the 454 before the gun is sold .

Moose season is apon us here west of North Bay Ontario Starting the 6th , so that is what we are up to now in our spare time .
The animals are Held up in the thick , since the weather is wet and lots of wind . ( few tracks and no animals seen.)

Natives all say the hunting is poor now since "the White Mans season "is now open LOL.
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I'm no expert on it, but I've read of folks pinning the tube to a barrel band (the front one I assume). Simple job with a drill and a roll pin.

Another advantage to the 454 is that if you're wanting to shoot 45 Colt, the chamber is a better fit (not as loose) as the 45 Colt chamber is.

(I've thought about a 454 to shoot 45 Colt out of, but I'm trying to cut down on the calibers I load for)
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The early Amadeo Rossi 92/454s had mag tube retention pin shear problems.
After the problem with the 92/454s became wide spread Amadeo Rossi reinvented the tube assembly with a much more robust double threaded mag tube configuration which also added the capability of directly loading the ammo into the mag tube through a feed slot like a Marlin 39A.
In the new arrangement the mag follower and spring were inside an inner tube which was inserted into an outer tube shell. If your 92/454 can be loaded through a slot in the bottom of the magazine tube you have one of the post-fix models, if not you have one of the pre-fix models which will eventually shear the mag tube retention pin if full power 454 loads are fired. If you have one of the older version 92/454s and restrict it to a 45LC power level ammo diet you shouldn't have any problem with mag tube retention pin shear.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Harry Snippe

Post by Harry Snippe »

Thanks Pricedo
You answered the Question ,and provided more info as well .
The add states that this gun is loaded through the tube - so that puts my mind at rest .

Yes I was thinking of loading the 45 colt , and once awhile going with the 454 for Bear and Moose .
I have a Tikka bolt in 338 F that serves the task well- but when supported over the handle bars of the ATV ,you need always beware that the rifle is longer than the handle bars .
The 454 Rossi should solve the problem as well, have enough power to do the job at short ranges , as well ,be brought to battery very quickly .
Last edited by Harry Snippe on 10 Oct 2012 07:00, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Snippe

Post by Harry Snippe »

44-40 Willy wrote:I'm no expert on it, but I've read of folks pinning the tube to a barrel band (the front one I assume). Simple job with a drill and a roll pin.

Another advantage to the 454 is that if you're wanting to shoot 45 Colt, the chamber is a better fit (not as loose) as the 45 Colt chamber is.

(I've thought about a 454 to shoot 45 Colt out of, but I'm trying to cut down on the calibers I load for)
Yes I have been saying that for years . I have cut my box down to about ten from the twenty six I had fifteen years ago.BUT!BUT !! We now have these Empty slots !!
It is an enjoyable Hobby and we envolve the family at the range as well as the hunt .
Another Plus - It keeps me away from the bars with my other buddies . :D
Harry Snippe

Post by Harry Snippe »

[quote="44-40 WillyAnother advantage to the 454 is that if you're wanting to shoot 45 Colt, the chamber is a better fit (not as loose) as the 45 Colt chamber is.

Years ago, I read in one of the gun Mags , where a lad had a revolver with a generous chamber in 45 LC . The brass would of course get a lot of sizing and would not last as long as he thought it should . So he had Lee open up the lower part of the die so it would fit the Clyinder better and he also got better groups .

After reading this , I did "The Same" with my Winchester Model 94 Trapper.Think I loaded the brass I had almost forever ,Having only the odd split case neck there after . ( We neck size for most of our rifles don't we ? )
The brass looked more like a bottle necked 44/40 as the neck was a few thou . smaller than the body of the cartridge .
Think It only cost me about thirty bucks ten years ago , but it sure paid for itsself in brass and the rifle shot better groups .
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Well did you buy it, how does she shoot!? If not I am looking for one. This morning I put myself down on the list at the local gun shop for one next time they come in stock. However, I wouldn't mind one sooner. :D
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Harry Snippe

Post by Harry Snippe »

Nope !!!

The early bird gets the worm .

I thought I do some checking first before buying a gun I knew nothin' about . ( This would have been almost a four hour trip one way )
So while I was going some homework. The gun of course was sold . I was not allowed to put it on Hold with a deposit anymore . First come first served , and did not want to buy it unseen with out knowing anything about the gun .
( If your the only dealer for Central and Northern Ontario, I guess one can make the terms- to suit the shop )

They also had a 24" colt by Rossi and it went out the door almost at the same time . Question there what does one gain with a 24 Inch barrel over one that is twenty inch's long ? (Read somewhere you could not load these guns past colt single action pressure ?? ) Then what is the bore sluged to . Do I need oversized .454 sized lead ? I can not cast my own where I live and your not going to buy them that size either , As I tried to get .432 awhile back for the 44 Mag Marlin .

There is not much on line about these guns other than a wee bit on the Rossi site , Some info on this forum as well as I see there is a bit on the Marlin forum , that I did not notice before .
So this gun would not be for cowboy shoots , rather for close range hunting and some informal plinking .

Now if you could load a 45 colt to the Ruger /freedom arms level , and say have the 20 inch barrel , I would be intersted and as the next 454 that comes along with the tube feed feature ,I will buy it over the phone and take the day to get it .