What Optic are you mounting to your NOE Scout Base?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What Optic are you mounting to your NOE Scout Base?

Post by Ranch Dog »

[quote="mr surveyor"Do they make a scout scope? I really don't know.[/quote]
They make some pistol scopes but not an appropriate scout scope. I think the Nikon specs state an eye relief of something like 9" to 30" but I've tried the Bushnell Elite Handgun which has similar specs and it didn't work. Usually with a scout scope you are working with a intermediate eye relief vs. an extended for the handgun scopes.
Michael
emerson biggies

Post by emerson biggies »

Yoe! Ranch Dog!
The Burris 2-7X pistol scope is perfect. The eye relief is perfect and even though the rings are a "low" mount my scope power adjustment just barely clears the mount, but it does it perfectly. NO interference..
Ejection problems?? Even though the scope overlaps the breech slightly, there are absolutely no ejection problems with 38 special or 357 mag. ammo.

I am however having accuracy problems with 357 mag ammo both factory and home brew, Home rolled 357 is definitely better than factory loads. 357's shoot more than 6 inches higher than 38's at my test range of 50 yards. All 357's seem to spread out lots more than 38s.
Is it possible to float the barrel somehow and try again??
From sandbags at 50 yards my 38's are giving me a 2" to 3" group. I think that is terrible for a well bedded and benched rifle. I smell a distorted barrel?

More people stop and look at my Rossi while at the range than any other gun I own. It will probably sell a few of them for Rossi.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The best way to see the effect the forearm is having on the rifle is to shoot without it. Strip it all off and shoot with the receiver rested on a bag.
Michael
-Zee

Post by -Zee »

Ordered my NOE Base today and, when I receive both it and the rifle I'll be mounting it on.........I plan to use a 2x Weaver Pistol Scope.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

mr surveyor wrote:naahhh .... we can all carve our names in the buttstocks :lol:

jd
That's what little Jimmy's wood burning kit was really for anyway.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Archer wrote:
mr surveyor wrote:naahhh .... we can all carve our names in the buttstocks :lol:

jd
That's what little Jimmy's wood burning kit was really for anyway.

I admit it .... I did have a wood burning kit .... I did wear that sucker out :roll:

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
pirkfan

Post by pirkfan »

I was able to get a Rossi base for my 38/357 Rossi, and I mounted a NC Star Pistolero 2.5 X 30 on it. That seems fine for the light recoil of my 38 spl plinker loads, and the price point was certainly right because you even get the rings. Some quality issues (adjustment cap threads are %@*&$), however other than that,it works so far. But I was a bit concerned about recoil in the 45 colt 92, so when I ordered the NOE base, I also ordered a Leupold IER 2.5 X 28 for it. Don't have rings yet, so haven't mounted it, but I want QD rings, and am thinking Medium Warne 1 inch rings will be the way I'll go. I also want to get another of the XS low weaver backup ghost ring sights (have one on the 38/357 rossi when the scope isn't on it and I really like it, just wish I could have both mounted at the same time, but oh well). I do wonder how the XS sight will match up with my higher Skinner front sight since the NOE base is higher than the Rossi one on my other rifle.
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

I have two options. The first is the Leupold FX-II Scout. The second is the Burris FastFire III. I really like them both so far. I think that the 16 inch 44 magnum will keep the Leupold and the Burris FastFire III will go onto the Ranch Hand.

The scope is actually quite small (for a scope) but it looks large on that gun.I bore sighted the scope and it was pretty much dead on as mounted. It will be fun to put some rounds through them now.
20151221_165432.png
20151221_171146.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The Burris does look pretty interesting. Is the rifle stainless? Hard to tell because of the flash as the barrel/tube lookes blued.

What height rings did you use with the scope? Seems it could go lower.
Michael
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Ranch Dog wrote:The Burris does look pretty interesting. Is the rifle stainless? Hard to tell because of the flash as the barrel/tube lookes blued.

What height rings did you use with the scope? Seems it could go lower.
Yes, the rifle is stainless. It's just the photo that is giving it that look.

The Burris adds no noticeable weight or bulk to the gun. When shouldered, it comes into focus right away and is easy to find. For a "hiking" gun, that is the way to go IMO. This will mainly be used for bear hunting though and for that I prefer the scope.

The rings are Weaver "see through" type. So yes they are a bit tall. I already had them so I figured that I may as well give them a try. One interesting thought though is that if I replaced the front sight with something taller, I could still use my "iron" sights with the scope mounted if I had to. The rings have a grove that acts as the rear sight. I'll shoot a few rounds through it before I decide to keep the rings or find shorter ones.