Brand New Rio Grande - Rear Stock Broken

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
stuberr

Re: Brand New Rio Grande - Rear Stock Broken

Post by stuberr »

Pricedo,

Don't know if I have a good gun or not...just picked it up from my FFL,,,I kinda wished he'd seen it and it would be back on it's way to the Vendor. I know how strong wood glue can be but christ...this piece is brand stinkin new...I'm going to try and ask for a replacement stock.

Rich
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think I would contact whoever you purchased it from first. Surely there was an inspection period. After that, I would send it back to Rossi. I too have fixed a number of stocks but I suspect that Braztech would quickly replace the butt stock.

The worse rifle I ever purchased was a JM Marlin 1894S. A special run rifle, 1 of 500. This 1894S was a TALO offering which sports a 16 1/4" ported barrel, chambered in 45 Colt. It was not cheap. When I received the rifle, It had a "ring" impressed inside the barrel, across the rifling. A crushed crescent shape from cutting the dovetail. What a bummer after the wait. I contacted Marlin and they wanted to address it but they only had made 500 barrels for these rifles. They offered to hand lap it which I let them do. I can still see the impression and this is now a sub MOA rifle but I would have a tough time selling it if someone looked down the barrel. This was during Marlin's golden years when they were making some excellent products. I offer this up only as proof that no outfit is perfect, even old school Marlin.

Michael
stuberr

Post by stuberr »

Hey Now:

My new SSRG is on an overnight trip to Miami. I asked Rossi CS last night to send the FedEx truck and I was glad I did cause the driver freaked - it being 9/11. I said call in and make sure your ok with the procedure on the long gun shipment. He did and it would have taken me 45 minutes with FedEx CS to do the same.
Now its a waiting game....Ive got 2 boxes of Hornady 325s and full die set...brass was on back order.

Rich
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

stuberr wrote:Hey Now:

My new SSRG is on an overnight trip to Miami. I asked Rossi CS last night to send the FedEx truck and I was glad I did cause the driver freaked - it being 9/11. I said call in and make sure your ok with the procedure on the long gun shipment. He did and it would have taken me 45 minutes with FedEx CS to do the same.
Now its a waiting game....Ive got 2 boxes of Hornady 325s and full die set...brass was on back order.

Rich
I have a "blue" Rossi RG in 45-70 in my sights BUT I just don't need another 45-70.......be kinda nice if Rossi'd branch the model out into other big bore calibers like 444 Marlin, 475 Turnbull, 45-90 or the 50 caliber big bores.
I've got a NEF Handi Rifle, 2 Rehabilitated Remlin Guide Guns, a Pedersoli 86/71, a Baikal MP221 double rifle......all in 45-70.
If I was contemplating a new 45-70 I'd grab the RG in a New York minute based on the excellent performance of my RG in 30-30 Win.
Fall & hunting season fast approaching and my concentration has been refocused on getting the 45-70s I do have "blooded" in the field.
I envy RD cause it's always hunting season at his place........have a cup of java wipe the sleep outta your eyes open the door and a big boar or buck is standing there just begging to be shot.........it must be nice !! :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
stuberr

Post by stuberr »

Hey:

Off topic question...I was looking on Gunbroker and I spied a 1895 GBL new with barrel marking for North Haven CT. Is this an old Marin vs new Remlin????

Thank,

rich
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

stuberr wrote:Off topic question...I was looking on Gunbroker and I spied a 1895 GBL new with barrel marking for North Haven CT. Is this an old Marin vs new Remlin????
That would be a real Marlin. The Remlins are manufactured in NY.
pricedo wrote:I envy RD cause it's always hunting season at his place........have a cup of java wipe the sleep outta your eyes open the door and a big boar or buck is standing there just begging to be shot.........it must be nice !! :D
I always thought they are responding to the smell of that Java!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

stuberr wrote:Hey:

Off topic question...I was looking on Gunbroker and I spied a 1895 GBL new with barrel marking for North Haven CT. Is this an old Marin vs new Remlin????

Thank,

rich
My "blue" Rehabilitated Remlin which was incidentally far better NIB for fit, function & cycling, finish, wood matching & checkering than my SS Remlin is also barrel stamped "North Haven, Connecticut".
I figured at the time I noticed it that the barrel might very well have been made in CT but the gun assembled in NYS by the "new" company.
I'm sure Remlin took all the unassembled real Marlin parts with them when they moved.
That store has guns that have been sitting "in the back" for years.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:My "blue" Rehabilitated Remlin... is also barrel stamped "North Haven, Connecticut".
I figured at the time I noticed it that the barrel might very well have been made in CT but the gun assembled in NYS by the "new" company.
I'm sure Remlin took all the unassembled real Marlin parts with them when they moved.
That store has guns that have been sitting "in the back" for years.
Sorry, overlooked that thought in my reply.
Michael
stuberr

Post by stuberr »

All,

Well I sent the rifle out to Rossi and It's not showing up on their repairs tracking page....I have the Fed Ex receipt thats all

on a different subject:

PRESS RELEASE FOR BUFFALO BARNES LEAD FREE 45-70 +P 350gr. BARNES TSX-FN (ITEM 8G)

This is a super powerful 45-70 +P (or magnum) loading. It is externally identical to SAAMI spec. 45-70 ammo, but internally it generates FAR more power and pressure. So, our 45-70 ammo will fit/chamber into any 45-70 firearm. HOWEVER, its use should be limited to firearms that are built to take the +P pressures it generates.

Its use should be limited to the following firearms: All Marlin 1895 (1895 Marlins are simply 336 actions, with a 45-70 barrel screwed on) iterations made since 1972, all Browning 1885 and 1886 copies, Rossi Rio Grande, New England Arms Handi Rifle, T/C Encore, ALL falling block actions made of modern steel such as the Ruger #1 and #3, Shiloh, Christian and Pedersoli Sharps, all Winchester 1886 iterations made since 1915 and all Siamese mauser bolt actions.

Looks like BB says the Rio Grande can shoo the +Ps

Rich
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: SAAMI is the gun manufacturers shield.

Post by pricedo »

stuberr wrote:All,

Well I sent the rifle out to Rossi and It's not showing up on their repairs tracking page....I have the Fed Ex receipt thats all

on a different subject:

PRESS RELEASE FOR BUFFALO BARNES LEAD FREE 45-70 +P 350gr. BARNES TSX-FN (ITEM 8G)

This is a super powerful 45-70 +P (or magnum) loading. It is externally identical to SAAMI spec. 45-70 ammo, but internally it generates FAR more power and pressure. So, our 45-70 ammo will fit/chamber into any 45-70 firearm. HOWEVER, its use should be limited to firearms that are built to take the +P pressures it generates.

Its use should be limited to the following firearms: All Marlin 1895 (1895 Marlins are simply 336 actions, with a 45-70 barrel screwed on) iterations made since 1972, all Browning 1885 and 1886 copies, Rossi Rio Grande, New England Arms Handi Rifle, T/C Encore, ALL falling block actions made of modern steel such as the Ruger #1 and #3, Shiloh, Christian and Pedersoli Sharps, all Winchester 1886 iterations made since 1915 and all Siamese mauser bolt actions.

Looks like BB says the Rio Grande can shoo the +Ps

Rich
First of all we gotta separate the "lawyer talk" from the "gun talk".
We have accepted the fact that he Marlin 1895s can shoot +P+ 45-70 ammo for years but you never could or never will get anything on paper from Marlin saying such a practice is safe.
My Rehabilitated Remlins (I had them thoroughly checked by a very reputable gunsmithing shop) which weren't the quality of the old JM Marlins are shooting suped-up ammo.
The SAAMI specs benefit the gun manufacturing companies because if your gun blows up and you sue and it was proven that you were shooting the Buffalo Bore (BB) +P+ ammo you won't get a thin dime and your lawsuit will fail.
That's the same reason the Japchesters have rebounding hammers and tang safeties ......not because they need them or that Winchester gives a damn about our safety but rather to circumvent liability.
The Rio Grande might very well be able to shoot the +P+ stuff but you'll NEVER see that in print on any Braztech documentation.
If you ask them their official position is likely that you shoot factory ammo loaded to SAAMI specs........no doubt the same as Remlins position.
BB on the other hand opens themselves up to lawsuits if a Rio Grande blows up while shooting ammo they said was OK to fire in Rio Grande rifles.
Suped up ammo is BBs stock-in-trade so they figure increased sales is worth the increased civil jeopardy incurred by making such claims.
BB and Barnes are playing off increased sales vs increased civil liability incurred by their advertising claims.
In other words they are betting increased sales will more than offset lawsuits down the road.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA