2nd range trip issues...

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
ethang

2nd range trip issues...

Post by ethang »

Got to the range yesterday and was able to run some more rounds downrange, a mix of 15, 357's and the rest 38 special reloads. Since new there has been a bit of a hitch in loading the tube, with some deformation of the bullets. I pulled the fore end and mag tube last night to start on the stocks. Other than some knurling around the end of the mag tube there is no deforming, just a sharp edge. I could not get a picture to turn out with my phone.

that shiny piece of metal at 6 o'clock seems to be where the rounds are impacting. I tried loading some with the mag tube removed and this was were they hung up. there was also some minor rusting and grit and grease under the forearm.

Mine has the sharp edges at the chamber that were mentioned in the brass marking thread. I do have some nicks in my brass. I have not addressed that to isolate the cause yet.

The lifter is rough.

Stocks are water washed and drying though. I will start the sanding and oiling tomorrow night. Still on the fence about using new raw linseed oil or the remnants of my 25 year old can of boiled linseed oil.

dove tails look pretty good.
Plastic has no soul...
Joe S.

Re: 2nd range trip issues...

Post by Joe S. »

So...

The stocks' finish came off like that simply by soaking them in water???
Joe S.
Central MS

Leverguns, single actions, and single shots.
ethang

Post by ethang »

Joe S. wrote:So...

I rubbed more stain off than that with just a couple of wet paper towels, but yes, 45 minutes in hot water took the stain off. I tested it with a wet paper towel and did not get anymore off. I debated just oiling over the factory finish, but decided it's not worth finding out in a rainstorm hunting if the finish is still coming off.
Plastic has no soul...
Joe S.

Post by Joe S. »

I oiled over mine with tung Oil and still got red palm when i sweated one day while shooting.
Joe S.
Central MS

Leverguns, single actions, and single shots.
tnaz

Post by tnaz »

ethang wrote:
Joe S. wrote:So...

I rubbed more stain off than that with just a couple of wet paper towels, but yes, 45 minutes in hot water took the stain off. I tested it with a wet paper towel and did not get anymore off. I debated just oiling over the factory finish, but decided it's not worth finding out in a rainstorm hunting if the finish is still coming off.
I wish I would have read this earlier, I washed my Rio Grande stock and fore arm couple hours ago and could not get all the stain off. I wiped with acetone let die and started applying Tru-oil. Do you think the stain will come through the oil? I wiped with cloth/paper towel and no color after lite rub with scotch brite and warm water.
ethang

Post by ethang »

If you didn't get any off with a wet cloth you might be ok. I am no expert however. I read of soaking it from Ranchdogs post on his.
Plastic has no soul...
tnaz

Post by tnaz »

Thanks, I'll search and read.
ethang

Post by ethang »

I picked up some odorless mineral spirits today. Turns out they are "green mineral spirits", better for the environment and stuff. Anyway, when I opened them up to mix with my old as sin boiled linseed oil, I found out they are white and the consistency of coffee cream. I mixed it up anyway, kinda resembled runny butterscotch pudding. Put a bit on the interior parts, then the bottom of the stock, then went ahead and lathered it all up. So far I have one good coat on, 3-1 mixture and rubbed it in very well generating some good hand heat. Next coat will get a good sanding, there is some factory chatter marks and the grain was raised pretty good from the water wash.

And Jd thanks for the tip on the coffee filters. I used one for the wipe down and it seems like a good lint free cheap solution.

Ethan
Plastic has no soul...
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've read about a dozen to two dozen refinishing threads here and elsewhere regarding the 92 Rossi.
Almost half the threads mention soaking the stocks in warm water seems to take the stain off like magic.

A couple threads mention guns that are actually sealed and / or finished in a poly coat that doesn't wash off.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

ethang, I think you will have much better results than me with the wet wash finish
you did. That may have been the step I missed ?

The luster is really looking good on my butt stock now so I'm ok with it. Looking forward
to seeing more pics.

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns