It is coming together

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

It is coming together

Post by joec »

Well I got my scope from Bud's but the usual hassle when I buy of the internet sight and have it delivered to the store. It arrived Wednesday as they told me when I ordered it but couldn't find it till 5 PM last night when I called to cancel it and buy from Midway USA. At any rate I got it less shipping charges which I would of paid at Midway but had to pay sales tax so it worked out about the same.

It installed pretty easily using Ranch Dogs picture to see in what location he put his. I was forced to remove the rear iron sight however as he did and wonder if the Weaver Quad ring in High would clear it as I got the Medium as suggested. Not a big deal however regardless. Hopefully Sunday I will get a chance to sight it in meanwhile never owning a scope before I did try in at sundown as well as a little after and found it had a very clear sight image at all magnification. I can't imagine needing to hunt later than that or even earlier than sun up but don't know. Last time I hunted was about 43 years ago in Florida where shot guns only was in effect for deer. Pigs allowed some but very limited calibers of pistol/rifle guns.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: It is coming together

Post by Ranch Dog »

The high Quad Locks will get your head just a wee bit too much off the stock. Makes the sight picture through the scope inconsistent and sets you up for the "wallop". I have both available and they have both been on my rifle.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:The high Quad Locks will get your head just a wee bit too much off the stock. Makes the sight picture through the scope inconsistent and sets you up for the "wallop". I have both available and they have both been on my rifle.
Just wondering but not that I removed the iron rear sight it doesn't matter much as I don't see going back to it any time soon. Now I wonder if a plug for the dovetail is available and if the rear sight would work on the R92 as it is a better sight.
Joe
JBox818

Post by JBox818 »

Skinner sights has dovetail plugs for a couple bucks
Here:
http://www.skinnersights.com/testimonials_12.html
$7 blued $8 silver
schwasskin

Post by schwasskin »

So to mount the low rings will the rear sight have to be removed to view correctly? What about the front sight?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

schwasskin wrote:So to mount the low rings will the rear sight have to be removed to view correctly? What about the front sight?
It depends on the scope's exit bell. What is also important with low rings is the hammer clearance.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

I found a dovetail plug at Midway and Brownells both for $5.79 so I ordered one from Midway. I finally took a picture but I'm not a good photographer even with a good camera. At any rate I did get it sighted in Sunday to 100 yards at my BIL farm in Tennessee. He has a really nice rifle rotating vise that we leveled the gun the set the scope using a laser line on the wall. I just stuck it on at first by eye so it needed to be trued up. I shot about 50 rounds through it with 10 the 250 gr Hornady factory stuff and the rest my home rolled ones with 405 gr cast bullets. Mine hit about 2" lower than the Hornady at 100 yards with good groups from both however about 2.5"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Looks very nice, now time for deer season!
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:Looks very nice, now time for deer season!
That is what I'm thinking however it will probably be with my oldest son in Washington State instead of here in Kentucky where I live. Hopefully I will get out there in November or early December with him.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I've got a Bushnell Trophy 1.5-4x33mm receiver mounted scope on my RG in 30-30 and even though the rear sight obviously extends into the sight picture of the objective lens I don't see it when I'm sighting on the target paper at any magnification for whatever reason so being fully in sync with the principle of not fixing what aint broke I left it (the rear sight) there.
The laws of light and optics must have conspired to create a "blind spot" precisely where my rear sight is located.
It is what it is..........I'll never miss out on a certainty by second guessing good luck. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA