Loading gate super tough.

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Loading gate super tough.

Post by joec »

My new 45-70's loading gate is a bear to put rounds into. Any suggestions on how to make this function a lot easier? Now I need a wood dowel to get a round into the gun.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Loading gate super tough.

Post by pricedo »

joec wrote:My new 45-70's loading gate is a bear to put rounds into. Any suggestions on how to make this function a lot easier? Now I need a wood dowel to get a round into the gun.
I am not a gunsmith but presented with the same situation I would strip the action apart & shave some of the metal off both sides of the spring that holds the gate closed thus narrowing its width (and lessening its strength) in a similar fashion to what Steve Young illustrates in his DVD with the loading gate for the Rossi 92.......a levergun loading gate is a levergun loading gate whether it be a Winchester, Marlin, Rossi, Pedersoli or whatever.......the same fixes work.
Essentially you will be purposely weakening the spring and making it more flexible and it should be easier to shove aside when you load cartridges through the gate.
The gate is meant to keep dirt & debris out and a spring just strong enough to hold it closed is all that is required.
The Rossi Rio Grande which is patterned after the Marlin 336 is a much simpler action than the Browning/Winchester 92 action to work with.
All levergun actions are easy to pull apart.......a 10 year old could do that.........the "rub" is gettin em back together correctly. :D

** NOTE: check the edges of the gate itself and the edges of the gate slot in the receiver and if there are any burrs remove them with a 3 sided file and stone the edges smooth. The gate could be "hanging up" on the edges of the slot because of burrs on either the gate or slot.
Last edited by pricedo on 25 Aug 2012 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Don't forget to clean the inside of the magazine tube.

Post by pricedo »

Don't forget to take a gun cleaning rod and copper brush (45 caliber) and thoroughly clean out the magazine tube after you have removed the spring and follower. :idea:
The tubes on a couple of my new Rossis were absolutely filthy inside. :evil:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Don't forget to clean the inside of the magazine tube.

Post by joec »

pricedo wrote:Don't forget to take a gun cleaning rod and copper brush (45 caliber) and thoroughly clean out the magazine tube after you have removed the spring and follower. :idea:
The tubes on a couple of my new Rossis were absolutely filthy inside. :evil:
I will be pricedo when I actually clean all the grease out. I was planning and breaking it down tomorrow and cleaning it for the first time. The only thing I have removed was the magazine tube end to measure the follower. My scope will be here Monday also and want the gun ready to take it to the range Tuesday night. I will only be able to shoot it 25 yards for about a month but figured I might get it at least somewhat started.

I kind of figured to fix the tension was about the same just wanted to be sure since I've not taken it down yet. I was going to do it today but other things got in the way. I hate distractions when I'm loading or working on a gun of any kind.

Thanks partner you have been a real help here to me.
Joe
JBox818

Post by JBox818 »

The loading gate is pretty tough on mine as well, not sure if I'd shave anything just yet, but I am kind of banking on it "breaking in" and loosening up that way.
I plan on running a few boxes of rounds down the tube and seeing where things are rubbing and doing a little bit of polishing on the surfaces that rub. A little "fluff and buff" as I like to say.
But let us know what you figure out on the loading gate, I pinched my fingers a few times already..
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

JBox818 wrote:The loading gate is pretty tough on mine as well, not sure if I'd shave anything just yet, but I am kind of banking on it "breaking in" and loosening up that way.
I plan on running a few boxes of rounds down the tube and seeing where things are rubbing and doing a little bit of polishing on the surfaces that rub. A little "fluff and buff" as I like to say.
But let us know what you figure out on the loading gate, I pinched my fingers a few times already..
I can relate to pinching ones finger, I have a blood blister on one of mine from it. :oops: I will take the gun down and clean it completely at which time I will see what is involved in getting the loading gate out.
Joe
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Well guys I took it apart and cleaned it completely. I also took a little off the loading gate and reassembled it. Now my impressions of the insides of this particular rifle is the cleanest machining I've ever seen inside any gun I've owned. I simply polished a few spots as no need to go further with it as I found on a small burr on the carrier which I took off with a touch of 800 gr sand paper then some polish.

As for disassemble I followed a video on youtube on a Marlin 336 which is exactly the same. It is a piece of cake to work on a lot easier than my R92 is for sure. Oh and for lube I use tetra grease in spots that slide on them selves with CLP for the rest.
Joe
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I know my loading gate was so tough it was tearing up my fingers as I loaded my .357 mag I did the Steve's guns action job and lightened it up and what a difference. I am sure as stated it would be the same for the rg I cannot wait to get one some day.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

akuser47 wrote:I know my loading gate was so tough it was tearing up my fingers as I loaded my .357 mag I did the Steve's guns action job and lightened it up and what a difference. I am sure as stated it would be the same for the rg I cannot wait to get one some day.
It really was the same so I guess as someone here said they are all pretty much the same. Oh and this gun had the cleanest machining I've ever had in a gun. Very little in burrs, with it really only on the loading gate had a slight burr with a couple of passes of sand paper took care of with some Fitze polish. Bolt needed nothing nor did the lever. Trigger was perfect from me for the get go and on saw one minor machine mark any where on the gun that did effect anything. To say the least I'm really impressed with the QC on this particular gun.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

If it ain't broke........... (you know the rest)

Post by pricedo »

akuser47 wrote:I know my loading gate was so tough it was tearing up my fingers as I loaded my .357 mag I did the Steve's guns action job and lightened it up and what a difference. I am sure as stated it would be the same for the rg I cannot wait to get one some day.
I reckon gun medicine is just like people medicine.......you try the aspirin and hot toddy remedies first and don't go straight to surgery.
I try a thorough cleaning, deburring, polishing and lubing and then and ONLY THEN if the problem persists do I make permanent modifications to the gun.
I found that most of my Rossis cleaned up really well and after the dirt & crud was gone and the burrs and rough spots removed and smoothed followed by a thorough lubing the rifle was where I needed it to be.
Only 1 rifle needed "surgery" (the full Steve's Gunz tune up).
That being said everybody has their own idea where their Rossi firearms need to be in the slickness department.
My rifles are hunters and I don't do the Cowboy Action thing.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA