Turned down a Henry

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
ole single shooter

Turned down a Henry

Post by ole single shooter »

A henry big boy in .44 mag showed up at a local pawn shop. The action is like glass but they won't budge off the $600 tag till after 30 days. I don't mind the weight as I won't be hunting with it. Condition is an easy 95% but I still think price is high.
There is a gun show this weekend sort of local, so I'll be able to check out some Rossi rifles there at least. I'd like to get one in 357 mag .-.38 spl. I'm told there will be a dealer at the show that "tunes" them before sales.
jdb

Re: Turned down a Henry

Post by jdb »

Yep, and ya know what OSS...200-250 bucks will buy a LOT of ammo and that is exactly what you'll save if ya buy a Rossi for 350-400 bucks instead of the 600 dollar Henry. So I don't blame ya.

I could have bought anything I wanted when I got mine this summer and I bought the Rossi just cause I couldn't justify paying 1/3 again the price for a gun that is basically a Winchester wannabe with a Marlin action. LOL

AND from every thing I've read, may not be as accurate as the cheaper one. So there is that.

On the personal side, the Henry is a good looking gun right enough, but it's always kind of chapped my butt that Winchester bought out Henry's gun and turned it into a Winchester and a hundred years later some New Yorker bought the Henry name and turned it into a Marlin/Winchester hybrid and in all that...the ONE GUN that started it all, the load on Monday, shoot till Sunday, metallic cartridge Henry, which has been around since the 1850s...THAT is the gun that this Imperato character has to have $2,300 bucks for? I mean really? The gun that has been made the longest is the most expensive gun to make? Really!?!?

That's unconscionable to me. But then, that's just me. ;~)

Ok, I'm done ranting. As I said, I don't blame ya. Keep your eyes open at the show and I bet you hit on something a lot more reasonable in price. Maybe even another Henry that they ain't as proud of. ;~)
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
ole single shooter

There was one main reason I even considered the Henry. Even as owner of the company it is not unusual for him to answer the phone. I have talked to him on the phone. I'm not real fond of the flashy brasslite. but respect the Made in America and the good (actually excellent) customer service.
I'll have a long talk with the Rossie dealer, and hope we can work something out. ( I do plan to tell him if I pick one up after the Illinois commie 3 day wait, I'll have a handful of 357s and 38s to cycle through it .) I love tools that work. lol
jdb

Post by jdb »

Yep, I've heard that from several folks OSS. They say half the time, it's the owner that answers the phone and they are excellent to deal with. And like you, I buy American first when I can, but I was wanting something that was more authentic to the old Winchesters and Henery's just aren't that gun to me.

Not to mention that they just flat ticked me off pricing an 850 dollar gun at 2,300 simply because the originals are so rare and expensive. In other words...just cause they can!

That said, I may well end up with a Henry in a 22 magnum before I get too much older. I don't have a 22 mag at the moment and I've been wanting to get another one for a while now. If I run across one at a reasonable price...like at a gun show or something, I'll probably try to get it. I DO like the guns.

Oh, and don't blame ya. You can always go through the breakin with a Rossi and then do the tuneup that you can find on here to get her smooth as glass to cycle, but if the dang thing won't cycle rounds so ya can break it in...that kind of defeats the purpose of having a dang gun don't it?

I mean, otherwise it's a 600 dollar club! LOL
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I have a Henry .22 Octagonal in the black receiver and I love it.
I'd like a matching .22 Mag but I don't quite see spending the money while I have a Winchester 9422M.
ole single shooter

I have bought 3 Henrys - 1 for my adult son Golden boy22lr and he loves it. A frontier hex barrel 22 lr for a grandson and he loves it.. I bought a hex barrel pump 22lr that is solid and looks good but I don't care for the stiffish pump action so it will be moving on.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

I have a Henry 22lr lever gun that I love. But, when it came time to get a .357 to match Blackhawk, I had some reasons not to buy a Henry.
1. Not fond of the brass receiver
2. At 8.6 pounds, I didn't want to carry it around.
3. Price
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

I turned down one chambered in .38 that the gunsmith had gotten in an estate sale.
The " flip up " sight was loose as a goose but I'm sure that could easily been corrected.
The big turn off was the weight, felt like a ton when he handed it to me. Was asking
$500 at the time. Went back several weeks later to have some work done and he said
" I'll take $400 for it ", said no thanks.
Next time I was over there it was gone but i have no idea what he got for it.

While we on the subject of Henry's ... my neighbor has one chambered in .38sp /.357mag
with a 20 in. barrel. Bullets won't chamber unless he points the barrel up and it jams frequently.
Been back to the factory three times and the problem persists. He tells me he's hoping they
( Henry ) will just replace the gun. He's a reloader and very specific about meeting specs so
I have to doubt it's an oa length problem and his reloads work just fine in my Rossi.
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
ksmoose

Post by ksmoose »

I also looked at a Henry before buying my .357 Rossi, but the weight and price I didn't care for. I do have a Henry in .22 and just bought a .22 mag . I am still playing with the mag and a scope . So far it is accurate, action is nice but not as slick as the .22
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
I have never regretted getting another Rossi... Even one that requires attention and effert to make it near perfect. They carry like a dream and get the job done.
Mike in Peru again
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.