Time To Hunt!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
jdb

Time To Hunt!

Post by jdb »

Split by Ranch Dog from another Topic…[hr][/hr]
triggerpull wrote:LOL--thanks for that. Firearms opens up in about a month and I'm scheduled to head west for some Wisconsin whitetail--this just may end up being my go-to rifle--and I have lots to choose from (which can cause major problems for indecisive people like me at the start of hunting season ; ) ) But the odds are pretty good (I hope) that there will be a dawn or dusk low-light discharge--don't want to go blind and fall out of the stand!

PS--Upon giving the gun a thorough cleaning almost nothing came out of the bore in the way of unusual accumulation of carbon/soot--not even sure if any significant amount of powder was really combusting outside the case.

PSS--this getting old thing really sucks--the bullets were soft points, not hollow points. sorry.
LOL...yep, don't be fallen out of no trees brother. Don't know about you, but I don't heal like I use to. ;~)

And I made a point to look yesterday and mine spits a pretty good little fire ball even with my sub sonic 38 loads. So I guess it's just something you get use to.

Oh, and talking about deer season, this is what I picked out for the first target of my 92. Hope a 357 don't just tick him off. ;~)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
triggerpull

Re: Time To Hunt!

Post by triggerpull »

Nice bucks--hope ya get one. I just bought one of those ghost blinds and am going to give it a go. I like the down-angles and scent dispersion qualities of stands--but I just hate being up there for hours in bitter cold--especially if it's windy and the tree is rocking back and forth.
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

triggerpull wrote:Nice bucks--hope ya get one. I just bought one of those ghost blinds and am going to give it a go. I like the down-angles and scent dispersion qualities of stands--but I just hate being up there for hours in bitter cold--especially if it's windy and the tree is rocking back and forth.
I'm like you triggerpull. I really like tree blinds for their advantages, but don't enjoy the cold anymore. I used to bow hunt and the season started on October 1st. Days spent in the blind then were really enjoyable. I don't bow hunt anymore and our firearms season opens the 1st week of December. It's always cold and snowing, sleeting, etc. I haven't deer hunted at all since my heart attack, but I have a 16 year old grandson who is probably going to talk me into it this year. I have a pop-up ground blind and that is probably what we'll use.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

rman wrote:
triggerpull wrote:Nice bucks--hope ya get one. I just bought one of those ghost blinds and am going to give it a go. I like the down-angles and scent dispersion qualities of stands--but I just hate being up there for hours in bitter cold--especially if it's windy and the tree is rocking back and forth.
I'm like you triggerpull. I really like tree blinds for their advantages, but don't enjoy the cold anymore. I used to bow hunt and the season started on October 1st. Days spent in the blind then were really enjoyable. I don't bow hunt anymore and our firearms season opens the 1st week of December. It's always cold and snowing, sleeting, etc. I haven't deer hunted at all since my heart attack, but I have a 16 year old grandson who is probably going to talk me into it this year. I have a pop-up ground blind and that is probably what we'll use.
That's great you can hunt with the family--I have no-one to hunt with up here in Maine but will be joining a friend who lives in GA for a hunt during Wisconsin's short gun season.
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

triggerpull wrote:That's great you can hunt with the family--I have no-one to hunt with up here in Maine but will be joining a friend who lives in GA for a hunt during Wisconsin's short gun season.
I forgot you were from up North. I was whining about the bad weather, but I'm guessing it's a lot colder in Wisconsin where you're hunting. What do you use for shotgun season?
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Here in Maine there really is no shotgun season per sae --except maybe in a few special areas--and I've never been to Wisconsin so I don't know what the regs are there, but I do have a remmie 870 express (for turkeys) which I can switch out to a rifled barrel in case I want to go sabbots.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Haah... might have to split the topic with the last couple of replies out into the hunting forum as this is a good subject to continue with. Here are a couple of nice bucks that I have. I think the first will get to walk this year as I think he still a bit young. The second is the one I'm most troubled with. Probably will wait and try to find his sheds and see what happens the following year.

Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice either would be decent in Ohio
Last I was hunting I would see 100 of doe before a buck like that second
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

Nice bucks RD! I'd sure settle for either one. The last few years I hunted, I only harvested does, but I still like having antlers around.
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Going hunting tomorrow--small plot of land near developments and it's compound/long bows only--may the force be with me ; )