So what do you shave with?

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

So what do you shave with?

Post by akuser47 »

I have been struggling with sensitive skin that cheap and expensive disposables always failed me. So have been looking into somthing to change this. Found a merkur long handle safety razor. Over two weeks ago. Org I wish I had known this year's ago closest shave ever. Less irritation closet shave I've ever had. I have very coarse facial hair that always clogged up any brand of razor I tried electrics dull and pluck my hair so fast it's a waste. I will never look back now time to get a badger soap brush n bowl to make a better lather. Lol thought I would share.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Coop 45

Re: So what do you shave with?

Post by Coop 45 »

I use the middle price disposables, but I try and find ones that only have one blade. I only have to turn away from the mirror and back and I have a 6 o'clock shadow so the ones with multiple blades clog up way to quickly. I did spend an entire tax refund on an electric one. It was great, it was water proof so you could use it in the shower. It came with a charger that would also clean it in a cleaning solution. However it fell off the sink and broke the casing. When I went to the repair shop they said it would actually be cheaper to buy a new one than to repair it. When I emailed the manufacturer (Phillips) to "express my displeasure", they just gave me the run around, with an email trail that just went in circles. I just had a look at the merkur and I might have to give it a go.
"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it" Captain Harry "Breaker" Morant, last words to his firing squad.
92 45 Colt 20" stainless
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I never new how much of a better shave I could have until now. I'm now looking at a soap n brush set to make my own lather. I have a beard and goatee always had trouble shaving both sides evenly but it has been a breeze now.
I always got the walmart brand two blade disposables I couldn't even find a single blade disposable locally anymore. The biggest reason I needed to switch. My job at times keeps me in areas where I cannot shave but once back to amenities I need a fast clean shave to reshape n clean up. This merkur cuts through long stable fast n easy and flushes out so easy. Even when I use my canteen cup to shave. It is amazing. Wish I new this year's ago.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

This thread cracked me up. ( But...) The last thing I expected see on Rossi Rifle.Com when I joined 10 months or so ago, was grooming tips. haha. But, now I want a merkur long handle safety razor. My grandfather always used a safety razor and shaving soap and brush. His face was always a smooth as a baby's butt. I will not be searching for these toiletries.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yep I get bored at times and bring up stuff like this. Figured I may learn somthing new. Never know. Always learning
aragornelessar86

Post by aragornelessar86 »

Started using one of these after I got married. Now I collect and restore them.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I have some straight razors but never the stones to use one. Lol I may move to them next but for now am happy
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I started out shaving with a Schick injector and an old Gillette double edged safety razor with the barbershop shaving mug, brush and soap.

Had a nice porcelain bicentennial version of the injector with a fixed cut that sat in the closet for years until I grew enough beard to use it. Also have an older plastic and metal version with a dial adjustable opening that allows it to be used to wack off sideburns or an extended growth beard at the risk of slicing your skin off if you aren't careful.

Still have both the injectors but finding good blades for the injector is more of a problem the past 15 years or so. The double edged safety razors have made a come back and blades are easier to find. For a while there finding good bar shaving soap got to be a royal pain as the only readily available stuff was the tiny William's bars that didn't make a good lather. About 10 years ago my oversize Barbershop mug spontaneously cracked into chunks. Wasn't dropped and nothing dropped on it. Just broke sitting on the shelf.

I have 5 or so of the straight razors including 3 from my great uncle who worked for a while as a barber. One of them has a handle formed from bits of milk crate as the original handle broke while in service with him. You can still read MILK on one of the handles formed from a slat if you look close. Also have my mother's fathers straight razor.

Currently using a Gillette Mach 3 triple blade and a can of spray gel or foam. Yes it has to be rinsed every half stroke and if I skip a day I'm better off going with the injector for an initial cut, but it seems to be a better balance than most multi blades of spacing and angle.

I haven't really ever been able to use a full on disposable. They always seem to have a blade angle that'll cause cuts.

I hear recently that the straight razors are making a comeback after being ditched by the barber shops back when AIDS became a well known problem. One of my bud's mentioned getting a shave in Vegas recently with the full hot towel treatment that shaved with the grain and then against that lasted for a couple days before he needed to revisit it. Seems his wife either had a coupon or something. I'm extremely leery of going against the grain and/or worrying about getting too close. I've got straight hair and beard and don't have a lot of problems compared to folks who have curly hair but I'd rather have 5 o'clock shadow than deal with ingrown hairs.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

When the beard gets too long to fit comfortably in the helmet I get out the Oster clippers and shorten it a bit doesn't do much for my appearance gave that up a long time ago but it doesn't get pulled by the strap.

Ride safe y'all,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
aragornelessar86

Post by aragornelessar86 »

Yeah, I should caveat my previous post by saying that I haven't actually shaved in over a year, and generally I'm only even partially shaven for a couple weeks a year. Mostly I get told that I look a bit like Zak Galifinakis (sp?).