Sidelined for a while, knee replacement

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
singleshotcajun

Sidelined for a while, knee replacement

Post by singleshotcajun »

I usually don't post "poor me" things but thought I might explain why I have not been very active here of late. In 1983 I had a football injury that literally took out my right knee. That injury lost me a scholarship and my split option training for Mississippi National Guard Special Forces. It made me adjust all life plans. The doctors did what they could at the time by taking muscles and turning them into ligaments but I have been bone on bone since 1983 in that knee. I put off surgery as long as possible but(darn knee started to affect my Offhand scores and everything in Silhouette shooting is Offhand :) ) recently decided to do the deed and get a new knee. One week ago today the job was done at TX Orthopedic Hospital in Houston. Mine was not a routine parts swap due to the old surgery. Much of the surgery was archeological work trying to figure out what was done and how best to proceed. A plastic surgeon had to be in on it so as to try and save the skin and reattach it to keep the skin alive due to the old giant sized scars from the old procedure. Unlike most parts swaps these days they do not want me bending the knee for a while in order for the "flap" too heal properly. There have been complications I won't bore you with but it finally looks as though I am on the mend but have to deal with more pain than anyone would like due to drug interactions and finding out the hard way which pain medications work on me . I opt for a higher level of pain than hallucinating, I do hate those flying monkeys :lol: . Please include me in your prayers.
We are told NOT TO judge Islam by the actions of a few lunatics. However we are encouraged TO judge ALL Gun Owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.
NRA Lifer, TSRA, PSC Shooting Club
SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Sidelined for a while, knee replacement

Post by rman »

Mercy! That doesn't sound like any fun at all ssc. Prayers sent for a complete recovery.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Hang in there SSC! We are lucky to have such good facilities nearby. My mom was up there a month ago and left an hip "bone" behind.
Michael
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Hang in there ssc. Been there, done that. roughly nine years ago.
Nothing quite as complicated as yours sounds.

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Keep us posted to your recovery. I will have you n yours in our prayers.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
singleshotcajun

Post by singleshotcajun »

Came home Friday night. My wife went to a national chain pharmacy to fill a wad of prescriptions. Over the weekend had abnormal stiffness,swelling and rash from hip to foot also huge bruises. My wife took me to the hospital yesterday and my doctor told her to bring all meds. The doctor asked where is the blood thinner ? He called the RX and was told they did not fill it because the script was not legible. The pharmacy let my wife leave without telling her about the blood thinner script problems :evil: . The lack of the blood thinner seems to have been the cause of much pain and complication over the weekend and into last night.Currently doing much better except for my blood pressure when I think about the FUBAR script .
We are told NOT TO judge Islam by the actions of a few lunatics. However we are encouraged TO judge ALL Gun Owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.
NRA Lifer, TSRA, PSC Shooting Club
SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Geez... and we are supposed to trust them?
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I hope from hence fourth all goes better.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Good luck.

I know a few folks who've had it done mostly with good results.
Those that didn't have good results were either grossly overweight OR simply wore out the replacements.
The latter was a case of a 100+ mile a week mountain biker.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

I hope your recovery is all downhill from here. Seems like you've been going uphill long enough. Prayers sent.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.