Dove Season

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Dove Season

Post by akuser47 »

Had to do this at kill deer plains for pheasants used some maple tree limbs.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

All right now, the magazine capacity issue is a simple one to solve. Now, how about a guy that wants to hunt with his Circuit Judge? Drive short dowel rods into all but three of the charge holes of the cylinder?

Just joking boys. I don't believe that handguns are allowed for migratory birds.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
justchecking

Post by justchecking »

In Ohio this year (as explained by ODNR before the dove hunt), you must have a plug limiting to 3 rounds total chambered and magazine for migratory birds. HOWEVER starting this year for deer you are not required to have a plug, but can only load 3 rounds at any one time.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Yeah, some of these laws are ridiculous. Let's see, you can hunt a 200 pound mammal (deer) with a .223 or AK-47 and fully load 30 round box magazines or even a Glock with 15 rounds in it, but you can't have but 3 shot shells to shoot a 6oz bird or 3 slugs in a shotgun to shoot a deer?!?! Yep...makes PERFECT sense to me!

Folks...we have elected MORONS to represent us in our governments and they have hired their wife's cousin's dope headed son-in-law to write wildlife regulations! ;~)

As to dove hunting? I wish! I don't know what's going on here in western Kentucky, but dove have been scarce as hen's teeth the last couple years. I'm seeing a few this year, but nothing like they had been up until the last couple.

I don't know if the flyway moved for some reason or maybe the ones that normally migrated through here were hit by West Nile or H1N1 or something, but the numbers just collapsed around here. And I mean even around my wife's cat feeder....I mean bird feeders where they went from dozens to a couple pairs for the last couple years. It's confusing and frustrating for a guy with a shotgun and a serious love of dove breast in wine sauce and rice. ;~)
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
Mtnfolk75

Post by Mtnfolk75 »

My son and I hunted the opener west of Delano, CA. It was the first time we have hunted an opener together since 1996. I last dove hunted in 2006 and he in 2002, made for some embarrassing moments ... :o Went back for the evening hunt and did much better, we were able to each fill our daily limit between both hunts. It was a Great Father/Son experience that I have missed the last 18 years, I'm glad he moved closer in June and am really looking forward to more field time as Fall approaches.
" Where my friend Roscoe is not welcome, I shall not trod, for I am not welcome either "

Dusty
Retired CA LEO, USN Vet & NRA Lifer ........
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I am absolutely loving these early dove reports. We're hoping that our choice to make our annual trek during the third week of the season will pay off, and kind hoping you guys 500-600 miles to the North get a nice cold front some time next week ;) .

Got a report from a group that hunts our 500 acre lease the first week (this week), and they've already been limiting. Our place usually has "hay grazer" planted (a tall cane like jointed stem grass up to 6-8 feet tall, with large clustering seed heads), and they often turn it under the last part of August but sometimes wait until mid October. This year, from a pic sent from the early bunch, looks like they turned it all under and the planting fields look like the surface of Mars. At least we have several water tanks (ponds/pools) with some water this year. Surface water in West Texas is as big a draw for the doves as a wheat or milo field.

Thirteen more days and counting........ :D

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
f100cleveland

Post by f100cleveland »

Been seeing alot of doves in the few harvested wheat and oat fields around here. and it is going to cool off next week with snow forecast for far north Minnesota. Ya summers winding down but pheasant and duck hunting is close with early goose underway now. We are new to dove hunting up here since its only been legal for a few years.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Seven more days and counting :)

Looks like the cold front is going to come through just about right to move the birds through my designated area at the right time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
jdb

Post by jdb »

mr surveyor wrote:Seven more days and counting :)

Looks like the cold front is going to come through just about right to move the birds through my designated area at the right time.
Cool. We're still not seeing many around here. We could use a cool snap too. Maybe the end of the week according to the weather man. But I ain't holdin' my breath. ;~)

Heck, I've been thinking about going out back with the ol' Bear bow and stickin' a whitetail, but it's just too dang hot! LOL
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I mowed a large field of weeds yesterday, 20 to 25 acres, not one dove flew out of it. A week ago it was full. Our doves have a habit of disappearing right about now.
Michael