Suspect Shooting Chrony readings

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Suspect Shooting Chrony readings

Post by pricedo »

I use the RCBS chronograph that comes in a container shaped like a bullet.
Gives me results that are close to those measured by my friends much more expensive Oehler chronograph.

The Shooting Chronys always looked "junky" to me.

I have to comment that the 45-70 loads listed in the latest paperback Hodgdon manual/magazine are HOT......HOT......HOT!
I can't believe some of the max loads in the latest edition !
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
deaddoc4444

Post by deaddoc4444 »

I have seen that problem also with the readings disapearing after a few seconds, usually a battery problem with mine . Mine always had the opposite problem of not getting good readings from the smaller bullets the 22s and the short 25s,rather than the larger bullets . That is why I adapted the 30/30 as the test cartridge , for the size of the bullet . Seemed to get picked up easier over the screens . ALSO 30/30 ammo seems to be more consistent with the known velocity over different brands . I still havn't set up the new one yet but hope to this weekend . I have some loads for my 7.62x51 R AI to shoot over the screens as I finally have an accurate load for it and just picked up the Rossi 92 /357 two days ago that I have to shoot now SO I have incentive now . I'll see if it is any better or worse . ;)
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:I use the RCBS chronograph that comes in a container shaped like a bullet.
Gives me results that are close to those measured by my friends much more expensive Oehler chronograph.

The Shooting Chronys always looked "junky" to me.

I have to comment that the 45-70 loads listed in the latest paperback Hodgdon manual/magazine are HOT......HOT......HOT!
I can't believe some of the max loads in the latest edition !
Thanks, good to know about Hodgdon. I am not so interested in maximum loads, but with this chronograph and its readings you would think otherwise!

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

deaddoc4444 wrote:I have seen that problem also with the readings disapearing after a few seconds, usually a battery problem with mine . Mine always had the opposite problem of not getting good readings from the smaller bullets the 22s and the short 25s,rather than the larger bullets . That is why I adapted the 30/30 as the test cartridge , for the size of the bullet . Seemed to get picked up easier over the screens . ALSO 30/30 ammo seems to be more consistent with the known velocity over different brands . I still havn't set up the new one yet but hope to this weekend . I have some loads for my 7.62x51 R AI to shoot over the screens as I finally have an accurate load for it and just picked up the Rossi 92 /357 two days ago that I have to shoot now SO I have incentive now . I'll see if it is any better or worse . ;)
Thanks for the tip about the battery. I just put a fresh one in this summer but perhaps it had been sitting around before I bought it too. It sure makes me wonder what the reasons are for why this thing will kick out these consistent reads that are way fast or slow. I remember when I was working up an accurate plinking load with Trail Boss for my 45 Colt 1894 and had loaded several 10 round loads 3 grains apart. My loads with 6.2gr were consistent around 1050 fps but many of the ones with 5.9gr were actually reading at 500 fps! It was almost like it was reading 1/2 the actual speed. That is just bizarre to me! If I hadn't seen it i wouldn't belive it.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
deaddoc4444

Post by deaddoc4444 »

Well I did NOT get a chance to set up the Chrony this past weekend Had some loads made up for the New Rossi 92 but discovered some "Normal " Rossi-isms as I shot. I NEED To do some work on the Rossi before it will feed consistently. and the sights are WAY OFF> Bottom of the elevator bar and its still about 7 inches high at 75 yards . ALSO shooting about 20 inches to the right for me , at that distance . Have to move the front and rear sights I GUESS to compesate or one or the other will be off the barrel.
Groups tested were cast 160 grain SWC loaded in front of 14.5 grains of 2400 . Grouped fairly well when I found the Group !!!!
Tested a few rounds with 16 grains of LIL GUN in front of some cast 180 WFN water quenched in OMC cases had to almost force the lever closed as ti appeared the cases were expanded a bit by the width of the bullet and thickness of the brass ( sized to 358 in a lee sizer ) Just got in some Starline brass from Midway yesterday to see if that helps a bit . I have a few thousand cases of various other brands sitting around from over the years BUT may want to use only one if it handles the cast better . I understand that rim size will vary also and can have an effect on feeding in the Rossi's . SO I need to experiment on that end too . BUT with all this I did NOT have time to set up the new Chrony or even get it out of the box . SO that will be a few weeks
deaddoc4444

Post by deaddoc4444 »

SORRY CORRECTION PMC cases
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

deaddoc4444 wrote:Well I did NOT get a chance to set up the Chrony this past weekend Had some loads made up for the New Rossi 92 but discovered some "Normal " Rossi-isms as I shot. I NEED To do some work on the Rossi before it will feed consistently. and the sights are WAY OFF> Bottom of the elevator bar and its still about 7 inches high at 75 yards . ALSO shooting about 20 inches to the right for me , at that distance . Have to move the front and rear sights I GUESS to compesate or one or the other will be off the barrel.
Groups tested were cast 160 grain SWC loaded in front of 14.5 grains of 2400 . Grouped fairly well when I found the Group !!!!
Tested a few rounds with 16 grains of LIL GUN in front of some cast 180 WFN water quenched in OMC cases had to almost force the lever closed as ti appeared the cases were expanded a bit by the width of the bullet and thickness of the brass ( sized to 358 in a lee sizer ) Just got in some Starline brass from Midway yesterday to see if that helps a bit . I have a few thousand cases of various other brands sitting around from over the years BUT may want to use only one if it handles the cast better . I understand that rim size will vary also and can have an effect on feeding in the Rossi's . SO I need to experiment on that end too . BUT with all this I did NOT have time to set up the new Chrony or even get it out of the box . SO that will be a few weeks

The model 92 (any 92 whether original Winchester, El Tigre, Rossi) is an ammo sensitive firearm and will NOT feed some ammo configurations.......you might have to compromise in this area.
A good idea is to get the tune-up DVD from Steve's Gunz.
The main reason is so you'll know how to put the %@*&$ thing back together.........92 actions aren't simple...........most times good & simple go hand in hand..........the Browning 92 design is a notable EXCEPTION to that rule of thumb.
After you have viewed the DVD a coupla times and have a good game plan formulated for the disassembly, cleaning, polishing, installations of choice, reassembly THEN strip the gun apart and clean the parts with dechlorinated brake parts cleaner and then polish & smooth the machining burrs and rough spots (many located around any drilled holes). Jewelers files, sharpening stones work well for this. During this phase replace the plastic magazine follower with the metal one from the Steve's Gunz kit. At this point you can choose whether or not to do the complete Steve's Gunz tune-up or quit the process after a good deburring & polishing depending on what use you will put the gun to & the original NIB condition of the gun (each guns NIB condition is "pot luck" and could range from horrible to very good).

A good lubrication with quality machine oil that won't gum up in cold weather is the last operation. Do this during the reassembly phase. If the action is still a bit stiff cycle it repeatedly.............. after 50 - 100 cycles it will smooth out.

There are umpteen dozen different after market sighting systems but the rule of thumb with iron sights is to move the rear sight (on or adjacent the receiver) in the direction that you wish the POI (point of impact) to move and the front sight (adjacent the muzzle end of the gun) in the opposite direction you want the POI to move. This is the same for windage & elevation.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
deaddoc4444

Post by deaddoc4444 »

Thanx Price I had already known of SOME problems associated with the Rossi 92 prior to my receiving the gun It IS NIB . I EXPECTED some glitches . I had alreaddy figured on my replacing the plastic magazine follower in the mag with one from STEVES / That was a given but decided to shoot it a bit first to see what else it MIGHT need before ordering and doing anything else to the gun .
I DID have, up to a few years ago, an original 92 in 32/20 ( 1927 vintage according to the serial numbers ) but sold that . :-( I did do a tear down on that a number of years ago but , I TRULY don't remember how at this time . I am planning to get the DVD from Steves gunz BUT ALSO was waiting to see how it functioned prior to ordering it or the kit which contains it. Ill get the whole kit now since I need the follower any way .
I plan to use ammo that is compatible to my Ruger Black hawk and did fire a few of the 180 GR rounds out of that too on Sat and it functioned and shot GREAT . ALSO just received last week the RD 175 GC bullet that I will probably use in both in the future .
I have a 94c in 25/20 and have had other Marlins in the past along with the Winchester 94 Trapper in 45 Colt . SO I have some experience in the pistol cartridges in carbines .( not to mention my original 89 Marlin in 38/40) Its been my experience that pistol cartridges ALL have some glitch to over come in the carbines or rifles but with all the experience I WANTED a Rossi 92 figuring when all said and done, Id have a better gun than the others . 92s and 86s are the SMOOTHEST , and strongest actions once they are settled in IMHO SO Let the adventure BEGIN LOL