New out of the box

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
BC38

Re: New out of the box

Post by BC38 »

FWIW I use some stuff called Renaissance Wax (a.k.a. Renwax) on all my guns. Learned about it on the S&W forum. great stuff.....
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

BC38, any chance their is an ingredient list on it? I'd like to get some ideas for the pound of beeswax I purchased.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Found this, the chemistry is interesting...
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

I waited till now to discuss what I believe is /was my last tweaking of my 357 R92 for function. Many have reported loading difficulties, leaving out the ejector, I want to focus on those discussions that focused on the loading platform. Much has been said to examine the loading platform spring and the detent. Finding nothing irregular I realized it was simply the platform rubbing as it was being lifted along the right side of the receiver. I did not have the tools to get that low in the receiver to hollow it out, but I could remove the platform and file, sand and smooth the right side until a clearance could be made. Put about 200 rounds through her yesterday and I had zero snags. The home made follower with the tip con caved to hold that first round straight worked great. Hope this helps someone because what should seem obvious, is not always the case.
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

NavyDoc76-80 wrote:Well I got the .44. As the lucky dip definition goes, I got lucky!!
Wood to metal on the butt stock is excellent. Wood to metal on forearm is just slightly meaty. The hammer clears the bolt properly. Grub screw is proper length. Not a single bugger on any of the screws or elsewhere. The action is remarkably smooth. No hesitation through the action at all!! I love the length. I can hold it at my side without the muzzle touching the floor and it comes up to shoulder nicely. I see very little storage grease in receiver but I'll do a wash out, refinish the wood, replace follower then hit the range. As they say on the beach, I am stoked!!!!
As proper, I wanted to bring this from the picture thread. As I have moved forward with the purchase of this new Rossi I will make comparisons with the .357. As it looks right now, this was made by a different crew. I suspect that I won't have to to as much tweaking with this one. Notice I said suspect and not assume :D . For any newbies, I hope this shows that a purchase is always a gamble but the outcome can be positive. There is still a lot to do before a real assessment can be shared but I think the roses are in bloom this time.
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

This go around went much different then the first. Experience is the best teacher. As noted in the stock thread my refinishing was done quite different. As far as problems found in the machineing of the receiver, this one was actually more crude then the 357. The most blatant was on the rails of the bolt. The surface resembled a zip tie. Burs at almost all ends of machining, but all this was manageable. And wouldn't you know it, when finishing the assembly and snugging down the screws, the grub screw protruded enough to lock up the bolt, again no big deal, no guessing what it may be this time. I tried a suggestion by "major" (I believe it was major), regarding the ejector spring. He stated he sanded the spring, reducing the diameter, thus it strength. I liked the idea, but I can tell you that spring is hard, hard, hard. I've got 200 rounds loaded in three variations of bullets and two bullet weights. I'll wait to critique the ejector with the first range report. Had difficulty when assembling the mag tube to barrel etc. there was a lot of torque not realized when I first disassembled. Just praying I don't run into triggerpull's problem. But if I do, I like what he did to relieve the pressure, so it's all doable. Really looking forward to putting this and my shoulder to the test, till then.
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nice looking rifle and great report, thanks!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Looks great
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

akuser47 wrote:Looks great
+1 I agree!
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Well, i made it to the range to put the 44 through its paces. Ive got to be honest, she kicks like a mule, what a hoot. I never touched the trigger when i went through her, probably a God send cause that is one light trigger. Funny thing is, when i went to remove the screw holding the spring, you would think someone put locktite on it, so i left it alone for another day, well know change needed there. Ran SWC, and jacketed HP through her and they were flawless, remarkably smooth. As noted, the sanding of the original ejector spring was perfect, so i got lucky there as there was no way to measure the outcome beforehand, so i would recommend that as a solution/option. Put up targets at 50 yards and after about 15 rounds i had it zeroed in, no problems with accuracy. Steel plate at 200 yards, got me there no problem but was now at about 75 rounds and was ready for some other fun then work on site picture for more consistency. Now im not asking this for myself of course, but before i let my daughter shoot this, im going to need to put a recoil pad on. Ive never seen a discussion for this and options, preferences, suppliers etc. i had previously looked on the web for sources but did not find one specific for this cresent shape butt. Well, thats all i got right now, i think im going to look for some aspercream.
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C