New out of the box

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: New out of the box

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Ok, here's what I have to report about removing the firing pin. In the Rossi you do of course have to remove the safety switch, AND unfortunately the firing pin stop pin as well, there is no way to rotate the firing pin for easy removal as the Browning 92 allows. To save some face let me finish by saying, the B92 manual still has merit.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
leverlover92

Post by leverlover92 »

Hi navydoc! Found your post interesting because I had the very same issue on my new 92 44mag in stainless.polished on top end of the locking lugs but the remainder was black as could be! I thought it a bit strange myself that the entire piece (pieces) weren't polished but I guess time is money lol. As a matter of fact the two in mine didn't even quite match in contour...the radius on the front corners that engages the bolt was slightly different from one to the other and the one on the right although polished still some scratches in it from the original grinding. While tweaking the rest of the action I removed these from the gun, pinned them back together and filed the top front corners to match being mindful not to remove any more than need be and staying away from the front and rear edges because of the headspacing issue. After repolishing now the look like a perfect set! To me the little things like this that we can fix with a little time and elbow grease is what makes this adventure fun though...kinda makes the lil rifle a little more your own ...."customised" as I like to say! Hope the new rifle serves you well...enjoy!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

LL92, thanks for sharing this so others may know it's not the end of the world just odd. I look forward to what else you discover, issues that need to be addressed and how you handled them.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

In conclusion after a month of tweaking my new 92, I have an analogy. Never expecting a Maserati, I was hoping for at least a Ford or a Chevy, I am convinced I got a Yugo.....
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
leverlover92

Post by leverlover92 »

NavyDoc76-80 wrote:In conclusion after a month of tweaking my new 92, I have an analogy. Never expecting a Maserati, I was hoping for at least a Ford or a Chevy, I am convinced I got a Yugo.....
I hope that was meant to be humorous and not posted in frustration navydoc cuz that analogy sure made me chuckle! How's things goin with the stock? I skimmed back through just to make sure I hadn't missed a pic but didn't see any. Keep pluggin away! Your not alone here. Btw thanks for the kind words over on post teak vs tung oil.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Well leverlover92, it was meant to be funny, humor can be a great defense mechanism, I appreciate the encouragement, my stocks came out ok, but expect to strip it down again in the future. I had looked at and discussed a number of options, perhaps like you I had confidence based on many wood finishing projects around the house, but never a gun stock. Living on the coast, humidity, a lot of rain and salt air gave me the sense for a hard finish when done. My downfall perhaps for not allowing enough time between linseed oil soaks. I did 5 or 6 of those of varying strength of mineral spirits to linseed oil then 2 coats of tung oil, finished with 2 coats of spar varnish. There is some great discussion on this in that thread I mentioned, even some regarding "oils" and the different properties of petroleum and plant oils. Follow your gut...
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
leverlover92

Post by leverlover92 »

Well I love a good sense of humor and it sure sounds like you've thought this through. Id say you're on the right track given the weather for your area and your right I have plenty of confidence in applying a number of finishes...been a woodworker for years... but always finishing furniture not "gun furniture" as some call it. As I mentioned earlier I may follow up with some tung oil just for added protection but not before I try a sample on some scrap. I did check the post like you said...some fine work and great info there just never seen that type of finish hands on.thanks for the info and good luck in the future if you choose to refinish.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Today I can say that all the work, disassembling, reassembling, tweeking, polishing, adjusting, and reloading for this R92 357 has really paid off. This is as smooth as good be, accurate beyond my expectation, and as fun to shoot exceeding all expectation. A big thank you to RD and the rest of the gang for taking me from "what's a Rossi?" To "let me tell ya!"
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

NavyDoc76-80 wrote:...A big thank you to RD and the rest of the gang for taking me from "what's a Rossi?" To "let me tell ya!"
You're welcome! It is most satisfying to see a fellow work through a rifle to his satisfaction by using the resources so many have contributed to!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Def. Good to see and hear the triumphs over a fine tool. Thanks for the updates.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!